Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do know what I am talking about. The bezel is too big and too rubbery feeling.
The bezel is "too big" for YOU. Others like the bigger bezel and the fact that its surface is not slick. To each their own. It's not a "one size fits all."

For me the bezel is secondary. It's the quality of the screen that attracts me to the Glowlight 3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
I also like the physical devices themselves, especially the wider bezels which make them easier to hold. My Nooks are lightweight and don't get hot like a tablet and the softer finish feels good in my hands. I've looked at Kindles and Kobos, and I'm sure they are nice devices and I'd adapt, but the Nooks fit my needs perfectly.
I agree.

Quote:
I use mine almost exclusively with my library's eBook offerings. When libraries here closed down, I gave my dad my Simple Touch. He is not computer or technology savvy, but he took to it right away, something that surprised me.
You know, if you mostly read library books you really might want to look at a Kobo.

My Clara isn't as physically nice as my 2015 Glowlight Plus or Glowlight 3. But with Kobo you can use Overdrive to borrow directly from your library without connecting to a PC or anything else (assuming your library uses Overdrive).

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-31-2020 at 11:06 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #18
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, if you mostly read library books you really might want to look at a Kobo.

My Clara isn't as physically nice as my 2015 Glowlight Plus or Glowlight 3. But with Kobo you can use Overdrive to borrow directly from your library without connecting to a PC or anything else (assuming your library uses Overdrive).
I appreciate the recommendation. Got to admit the Overdrive integration in Kobos is appealing, but in addition to Overdrive, I use cloudLibrary, Freading and Axis 360. Connecting my Nook to my computer to transfer books is second nature.

Near as I can tell, Kobos and Kindles are more advanced than Nooks when it comes to features and specs, but my needs are simple and I'm a creature of habit.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I appreciate the recommendation. Got to admit the Overdrive integration in Kobos is appealing, but in addition to Overdrive, I use cloudLibrary, Freading and Axis 360. Connecting my Nook to my computer to transfer books is second nature.
Ah, yeah, in that case going to Kobo wouldn't help much.

Quote:
Near as I can tell, Kobos and Kindles are more advanced than Nooks when it comes to features and specs, but my needs are simple and I'm a creature of habit.
I'm more familiar with Kobo than Kindle. But yeah, Kobo's are WAY more advanced software-wise than Nooks. But the truth is, for the complaints people have about Nook software, it is good enough.

The software bonuses of the Kobo ARE nice, but they've not successfully weaned me from using my Nooks.

If the Nook software were updated to make the database viewable when in USB mode, so that we could add series information and collections, the way you can with Kobo, I'd likely just stick to my Nooks.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
If the Nook software were updated to make the database viewable when in USB mode, so that we could add series information and collections, the way you can with Kobo, I'd likely just stick to my Nooks.
Those features have tempted me many times to look at Kobo. However, I like my Nook hardware very much. Calibre works just fine to transfer anything I need on my Nook and tells me what is already on there. Contrary to some "Opinions" I love the wider bezels. Both my Nooks are very comfortable to hold.

To be honest, one person's dogged determination to trash everything that isn't Kobo has actually made me less likely to buy one. Not sure why, but his attitude alone is enough to be off-putting.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
To be honest, one person's dogged determination to trash everything that isn't Kobo has actually made me less likely to buy one. Not sure why, but his attitude alone is enough to be off-putting.
Believe me, I empathize!

I like both. But if you'd like some ammunition on a simple way Nooks are better than Kobo: the amber night lighting.

On Kobo, at max settings both the white and orange LEDs are on. But on my Glowlight 3, on max settings, the white LEDs are off and only the orange are on. This gives my Glowlight 3 a MUCH greater range in lighting than I get on my Clara.

The better half and I reading in a darkened room, the orange screen of the 3 blows the Clara away.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #22
RWTS
Enthusiast

An update if anyone is interested.

I was able to get the Nook app installed on Windows 10. I am able to log in and see the books in my account; however, I can't download them to my computer. I get the status bar showing the download progress, but it's stuck on 0mb. I even temporarily disabled my firewall to ensure no processes were blocked. This was the original problem I had, so I'm back to square one.

Not sure if it's a problem on my end or that of B&N. I can archive and un-archive books. I can still 'buy' free eBooks, so the app looks to work just fine otherwise.

Still can't download the Nook app on Windows 8.1. It shows I own the app, but I get a message that it's no longer available when I try to install.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I am able to log in and see the books in my account; however, I can't download them to my computer. I get the status bar showing the download progress, but it's stuck on 0mb. I even temporarily disabled my firewall to ensure no processes were blocked. This was the original problem I had, so I'm back to square one.
I don't have my Surface with the Nook app in front of me. The last time I checked (last week?) books would still download.

This might be a dumb question, but have you gone to the Nook app folder to check and see if the ePubs actually did download?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #24
RWTS
Enthusiast

Quote:
This might be a dumb question, but have you gone to the Nook app folder to check and see if the ePubs actually did download?
That's actually a very good question! I checked just now and no, they did not download. Drat, I was really hoping it was going to be that simple.

I'm thinking it's probably something with my security settings... just need to figure out what. I'm more comfortable tinkering around in Windows 8.1, which is why I wish I could get the app loaded on that machine. I'm newer to Windows 10.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #25
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
That's actually a very good question! I checked just now and no, they did not download. Drat, I was really hoping it was going to be that simple.

I'm thinking it's probably something with my security settings... just need to figure out what. I'm more comfortable tinkering around in Windows 8.1, which is why I wish I could get the app loaded on that machine. I'm newer to Windows 10.
In Windows 10 the Epubs download to the following folder:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzq zva31enc\LocalState

The file names are numbered Epubs (not the book name).

I just downloaded a book using the app on my Surface Go running Windows 10 home.

My Nook App software version is 1.10.1.15

What version is your app??
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #26
RWTS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
In Windows 10 the Epubs download to the following folder:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzq zva31enc\LocalState

The file names are numbered Epubs (not the book name).

I just downloaded a book using the app on my Surface Go running Windows 10 home.

My Nook App software version is 1.10.1.15

What version is your app??
I'm using the same version of the app: 1.10.1.15

I have five files, the names consisting of 13 digits, with time stamps matching the times I attempted to download them. I presume these are my books. Each is listed as Type: File and Size: 0 KB.

Thank you for taking the time to download a book and letting me know it works for you. I can now confirm it's definitely something on my end blocking the connection. I may troubleshoot more this weekend. Since I don't buy many books, it's not that big of a deal if I can't get it working, but a part of me is just plain stubborn.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #27
RWTS
Enthusiast

I'm posting this in hopes it might help anyone in the same boat.

After loads of troubleshooting, I still couldn't get my Nook books to load in the Windows app. They do download to my Nook GL3 and to the Nook app on my Android tablet.

On a whim, I deleted my credit card information at B&N's website and reentered it (same card, same info). Voilà, it now works. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but I'm happy it's working.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I just check out the Windows Store and the Nook App is back!

The app was updated from the one I had installed. My installed app version 1.10.1.15 was updated to 1.11.0.4
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I just check out the Windows Store and the Nook App is back!

The app was updated from the one I had installed. My installed app version 1.10.1.15 was updated to 1.11.0.4
Right on. There's a thread in the News section about the new owners of B&N wanting to take ebooks more seriously. Let's hope that's true.