Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 AM   #16
tule
tule began at the beginning.

Device: moon+
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
in moon preferences find and tick the option to backup sync to cloud. it will need a one time auth for cloud access
so that on each device
then you will see a brief sync to cloud pip up as you exit a book
in cloud, you can see the files in apps/moonreader/cache.... 2 per book

i dont use that autosync app , know nothing about it, moon does not need it
Ok I understand
I keep my books in GDrive in 1 big file, do I choose the same file in Moon to sync with?
tule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tule View Post
Ok I understand
I keep my books in GDrive in 1 big file, do I choose the same file in Moon to sync with?
all you choose in Moon is which cloud to sync to : dropbox or Google drive.
that is on main preferences screen with no book open- maybe within "backup"
you have no say in the details of how it does it.

I can tell you that in my case it uses this location
Dropbox\Apps\Books\.Moon+\Cache
and writes 2 files per book:
file name.epub.an
file name.epub.po
one is for notes and annotations, the other is for last page read

if the needed subfolders do not exist, then moon creates them
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #18
tule

Quote:
all you choose in Moon is which cloud to sync to : dropbox or Google drive.
that is on main preferences screen with no book open- maybe within "backup"
you have no say in the details of how it does it.

I can tell you that in my case it uses this location
Dropbox\Apps\Books\.Moon+\Cache
and writes 2 files per book:
file name.epub.an
file name.epub.po
one is for notes and annotations, the other is for last page read

if the needed subfolders do not exist, then moon creates them
and then you can open from G Drive from whatever device with the same annotations and from the same position?
it seems to me that each device holds his own memory and position, there is no syncing
Old 05-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is much simpler than you think
Once you have, once per device, enabled sync to cloud in moon, then just use moon as normal.
Assuming you are online then each time you resume a book it checks and Says something like newer position available, use it? Y/N
And bookmarks etc are updated automatically....

....ok so my instructions were not perfect. I just opened moon and checked. Do this.

With a book open to to misc options. Scroll down. You should see tick boxes for
Sync reading position via Dropbox
Sync reading position via Google drive

Tick the one you want
Do that on each device
It applies to all books, not just to the one you have open
I know that bookmarks get synced, I don't use notes but I assume they get synced also

( The backup and restore options on the main preferences, with no book open, are for the apps configuration.
I use that to copy my preferences easily to a new device.)

Experiment a little, ask again of stuck.
Unfortunately there is no user manual.

Last edited by stumped; 05-30-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #20
tule

Quote:
It is much simpler than you think
Once you have, once per device, enabled sync to cloud in moon, then just use moon as normal.
Assuming you are online then each time you resume a book it checks and Says something like newer position available, use it? Y/N
And bookmarks etc are updated automatically....

....ok so my instructions were not perfect. I just opened moon and checked. Do this.

With a book open to to misc options. Scroll down. You should see tick boxes for
Sync reading position via Google drive

Tick the one you want
Do that on each device
It applies to all books, not just to the one you have open
I know that bookmarks get synced, I don't use notes but I assume they get synced also

( The backup and restore options on the main preferences, with no book open, are for the apps configuration.
I use that to copy my preferences easily to a new device.)

Experiment a little, ask again of stuck.
Unfortunately there is no user manual.
what do yo mean by use moon as normal?
maybe your instructions are good but I am nog perfect
Old 05-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard

ps. if you can see that cache subfolder in cloud then you have set it up correctly, if you can't then you haven't
...Apps\Books\.Moon+\Cache

a google search for

bring up several "how to" instructions links if you can't follow mine
Old 05-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
tule

Quote:
ps. if you can see that cache subfolder in cloud then you have set it up correctly, if you can't then you haven't
...Apps\Books\.Moon+\Cache

a google search for

bring up several "how to" instructions links if you can't follow mine
I have on the 2 devices that cache folder but they don't sync
Old 05-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #23
stumped
Wizard

i don't know what else to suggest
carefully read other peoples instructions via the google search links & try to spot what you have missed ?
if you can see the .an and .po files in cloud for a given book, then the sync data has been written to cloud. the timestamp for those file is another thing you can check

check that you have set the moon preference the same on every device, and that you are not reading offline, and that you have authorised moon to access the same cloud account ON EACH DEVICE

again, my post #17 was wrong. the setting is not on the main preferences screen ( that is for backing up the apps config), you want the setting on misc options, accessed while you have a book open
Old 05-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
tule

Quote:
i don't know what else to suggest
carefully read other peoples instructions via the google search links & try to spot what you have missed ?
if you can see the .an and .po files in cloud for a given book, then the sync data has been written to cloud. the timestamp for those file is another thing you can check

check that you have set the moon preference the same on every device, and that you are not reading offline, and that you have authorised moon to access the same cloud account ON EACH DEVICE

again, my post #17 was wrong. the setting is not on the main preferences screen ( that is for backing up the apps config), you want the setting on misc options, accessed while you have a book open
Ok I keep trying
I will let you know if I succeed and what I did to do so
Thanks very much for your support!!
Old 05-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
tule

Quote:
Originally Posted by tule View Post
Ok I keep trying
I will let you know if I succeed and what I did to do so
Thanks very much for your support!!
and then magic happened

I succeeded to syn: I removed the existing app files and ajusted one of the 2 file folders in the exactly same name and it works

altough sometimes it seems to miss the sync (due to bad wifi?)

anyway, stumped thanks again for the big support you're an ace!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
stumped
Wizard

Yes, the book files names have to exactly match. If yo use 2 methods and 2 devices it is possible to get a mismatch. Because some methods keep the file name to 32 characters. That is how they are stored in calibre library. But trransfer with calibre companion and it recreates a longer file name from a send to template
Old 04-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #27
ElfN
Enthusiast
ElfN began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SM-T290
Intermittent import problem

I am exporting from Calibre to Moon+ Pro and sometimes the books don't show up for import. They're in the folder but they don't get imported (auto import is set). Strangely enough I can go to my files, find the book and it opens in Moon+.

All the books are on my SD drive in Books, both the ones that imported and the ones that didn't.

Can anyone tell me why some books will import and others won't?
ElfN is offline   Reply With Quote