Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Denwayz
Denwayz began at the beginning.

Device: None
Alignment of dialog - word to epub

Dialog in MS Word set up on a tab marker isn't recognized after Calibre conversion. What was speech vertically aligned becomes

JAQUE: How are you?
JILL: Fine.

How do I fix this?

Last edited by Denwayz; 04-12-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Denwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the Word document a script or transcript (as would appear), then I suggest you format it as a two column table.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
tabs are not supported, use tables.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Denwayz

Uggh -- there are multiple hundreds of them, big hours of work

Thanks for input.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can probably write a word macro to automate it. But yeah, tabs are a pain, when writing the DOCX input plugin for calibre I spent a fair bit of time looking for ways to support tabs, but there really isn't any good way.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Denwayz

LOL - I am the macro!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denwayz View Post
LOL - I am the macro!

I've solved this in the past by saving the transcript/dialogue to a text file which I imported into Excel as CSV (nominating ':' as the separator), then I saved it as a two column XLS(X) file which I could import as a table into Word.

I didn't bother with automating it because I was able to convince the transcribers into doing as a table in the first instance.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Denwayz

Getting transcribers to play nice in tables is a good gig if you can get it. In this case, I am/was the transcriber, so threatening to shoot myself in the kneecaps won't help -- especially since the horse of transcription is long gone (horrible mixed metaphor, but hopefully makes the point)