Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #1
atl30308
atl30308 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Solved problem with used Kindle refusing to register

I bought a used e-ink Kindle Touch (5th gen) from eBay. Arrived in good shape, although the battery was dead. After charging, it booted up fine, but to an obsolete version of firmware: 5.1.2. My first step was to connect it to Wi-Fi. My next step was to try and register the Kindle to my Amazon account. I got this error message repeatedly:

Unable to Connect
There was an error while registering your Kindle. Please try again later.

So I decided to try to update the firmware. That option was greyed out. I was stuck.

At this point, I feared that the unit had been reported stolen, so I called Amazon tech support at (866) 321-8851.

It took an hour, but "Joe" in the Philippines got everything fixed for me. To skip all the blind alleys we pursued, this is what we found:
  • 5.1.2 is too old to register with Amazon's servers.
  • 5.1.2 is too old to use Amazon's automatic updating service.

So I went to http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650 and
  1. Downloaded Software Update 5.3.2.1 and installed it via USB cable.
  2. Unmounted my Kindle.
  3. Rebooted my Kindle. (This took a while.)
  4. Downloaded Software Update 5.3.7.3 and installed it via USB cable.
  5. Unmounted my Kindle.
  6. Rebooted my Kindle. (This took even longer.)

At that point, I was able to enter my email address and password to register the Kindle to my Amazon account. It worked, and books began to download.

So, at this point, everything seems to work, and I have a functioning Kindle for a third of the price of a new one.

I hope this post helps someone else in a similar situation.
atl30308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks! It's worth knowing that a manual firmware update may sometimes be necessary.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks! It's worth knowing that a manual firmware update may sometimes be necessary.
A year (or so) ago Amazon pushed out a security update. At that time they warned Kindle users that they would lose their connection to Amazon unless they applied the update by (such-and-such date). It's the same deal with the Kindle 3s, 2s, 1s and the "no-touch" devices. If you've missed that cut-off date, the only way you can update these devices now is via a manual download of the firmware.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do most of my updates this way for I am too eager to wait lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
walsch55
walsch55 began at the beginning.

Device: 5th Generation Kindle (Paperwhite)
Problem solved indeed

Thanks so much for this solution...It solved the problem!!!!!I was finally able to register my kindle
walsch55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
egegeg
egegeg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperback
how to downgrade

Hi,

how do i downgrade from already being most updated?

links please

thank you
egegeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
More information, please.

Thank you.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote