Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-18-2016, 02:08 AM   #1
babloyi
babloyi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smaller sized reader?

Hello all!
Ages ago I got your advice on what ebook reader to get for myself, and I've been very happy with the result (wish I just used it more often, though ).

Now I come to you all for advice for my father.
My father had an iPhone 6S+. He was really happy with it, always whipping it out, being anti-social in the awkward way a senior citizen can be with technology. Anyhow, he got it broke, and is very sad, and asked me for suggestions for a cheap replacement.

The thing is, after I asked him what he'd use it for, his response showed his most important use case was reading ebooks. He already has an older phone he's actually more comfortable using for all the usual phone-related stuff, so he only really needs something to read ebooks with.
When I suggested he get an ebook reader instead, and it would be cheaper, he said he wanted to be able to carry it in his pocket and have it be easily portable.

So I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions for a cheap ebook reader that is smaller than usual (or an android phone with a long battery time that has a larger screen than usual, but I hope it doesn't come to that). For reference, the iPhone 6S+ has a screen size of 5.5 inches and is 138.3 mm (5.44 in) x 67.1 mm (2.64 in).
In comparison, the Kobo Aura that I use (which my father said is too large) has a screen size of 6 inches, and is 150 mm (5.91 in) x 114 (4.49- in). So something smaller than that.

Thanks!
babloyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:19 AM   #2
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Maybe this likes your father:
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...ni#description
jbacelar is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
babloyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
That looks like it could work, but I'm not getting a price listed for it? The page you linked shows it costs $0.00, which would be incredible, but that's a little unbelievable?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:59 AM   #4
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here in Spain, it costs money

https://www.amazon.es/Pocketbook-Min...0965987&sr=1-3
Old 04-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just got this about 2 months ago and I've done a lot of reading on it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-gop...&skuId=4421800

This has been a surprisingly good phone. I don't have service on it. I bought it for reading but service is obviously available. It's also available as an unlocked phone but it's easy enough to unlock this one.

It's fast and smooth. Wifi range (important to me) is excellent. The screen is very good and sharp and bright enough for reading in direct sunlight. It has 16 gig and I have a 64 gig micro SD card in it. It's a little larger than I like but not that different than the Iphone 6s. Anyway it might be worth taking a look at.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If you're willing to risk a used device for a (potentially) lower price, you might check out the online auctions at Goodwill. Their selection of ereaders reflects the market -- the biggest share is Kindles of various generations, and those fetch the highest prices. They always have Nooks of various models, usually have Sony and Kobo models, etc. They often have "off brand" models, but you have to be there at the right time.

They are sold without any guaranties and there are no returns, so there is a bit of risk, but I've bought several and never had a major problem. I think most auctions are for US customers.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings...1&ending=Items

They do, also, have a tablet section that might be worth checking out. But if you were looking for a tablet, say 7" or smaller, I might check Amazon or Newegg.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings...5&ending=Items
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #7
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
I looked that up, too, and it said something about restrictions to certain countries. Is that trade agreements or something in the hardware?
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Is that trade agreements or something in the hardware?
It may be due to marketing agreements.
It's certainly not because of hardware.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm pretty sure they don't sell the PocketBook Mini anymore. It came out quite a few years ago now, and is likely out of stock.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
babloyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't sell the PocketBook Mini anymore. It came out quite a few years ago now, and is likely out of stock.
That explains why it doesn't seem possible to buy.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Its the same with all the pocket sized ereaders. As well as the above mentioned PocketBook Mini, there has been the Sony PRS-350, Kobo Mini & Trekstor Pyrus Mini. All discontinued.

The Kobo Mini is possibly the most recent, and you should certainly be able to pick up a used one via ebay. Where are you based?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:53 AM   #12
babloyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Its the same with all the pocket sized ereaders. As well as the above mentioned PocketBook Mini, there has been the Sony PRS-350, Kobo Mini & Trekstor Pyrus Mini. All discontinued.

The Kobo Mini is possibly the most recent, and you should certainly be able to pick up a used one via ebay. Where are you based?
How odd. Why would they discontinue such sizes? Are they that unpopular? One would think that the ability to easily carry your reader in your pocket would be a plus.

I'm in Pakistan right now, my own Kobo Aura I got when I had a friend visiting from NJ a while back, a situation that probably isn't going to repeat for a couple months at least.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Cheap Phablets and tablets in the same size range.
E-readers are much nicer to read on, but the phablets and tablets are more capable of other functions and if you can only afford one device-------
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
babloyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Cheap Phablets and tablets in the same size range.
E-readers are much nicer to read on, but the phablets and tablets are more capable of other functions and if you can only afford one device-------
My father actually wants something he can easily put in his pocket, so a phablet and tablet wouldn't work. For some reason the iPhone 6S+ struck the exact right balance for him in terms of size. And he already has a phone (and probably had planned on continuing to use it alongside any new thing he got), so that isn't an issue.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #15
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If you're willing to risk a used device for a (potentially) lower price, you might check out the online auctions at Goodwill. Their selection of ereaders reflects the market -- the biggest share is Kindles of various generations, and those fetch the highest prices. They always have Nooks of various models, usually have Sony and Kobo models, etc. They often have "off brand" models, but you have to be there at the right time.

They are sold without any guaranties and there are no returns, so there is a bit of risk, but I've bought several and never had a major problem. I think most auctions are for US customers.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings...1&ending=Items

They do, also, have a tablet section that might be worth checking out. But if you were looking for a tablet, say 7" or smaller, I might check Amazon or Newegg.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings...5&ending=Items
wow. starting at 9.99 for a score of ereaders that may or may not work.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-29350482.html
pretty sure there's quite a few working units in the lot. anyone adventurous enough to re-purpose some of these?

by the way. thanks for the info about these goodwill auctions. i actually bid on a sony prs-350 and won at $7.00. with shipping, it came out to be under $15.00. if it works out, i think i'll be carrying this around along with my phone everywhere i go. may need to replace the battery, but i've done that for a prs-500 before and it wasn't hard to do. and the battery is still available on ebay.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, small