Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Fishbowler
Fishbowler began at the beginning.

Device: Android (HTC Hero)
Last item in batch always hangs

Good afternoon all from a long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm slowly building up my calibre library as me & my partner are spending more time reading on our Android phones than paper books.

A few quick speed tests on FBReader and the like show epub to be a quicker format for the apps to open than others, e.g. fb2. Whilst I've been adding the books and sorting the metadata and tags, I've been converting batches over to epub.

I don't think this was always the case, but recently it seems that the last job in any batch always hangs. That is to say, if I convert one book, it'll reach 100%, but never complete, and never flush the file to disk. If I convert 30 books, 29 will work perfectly, but the 30th will hang at 100%.

I've tested the book individually with ebook-convert MyBook.pdf MyBook.epub, and all works as expected, so I suspect it's the app rather than the book. If it's relevant, all of my recent attempts have been pdf -> epub.

Anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? Anyone got any kind of curative?

If it helps, I'm using v0.7.10 on Ubuntu Lucid, and despite searching, have no idea where the log file is...
Fishbowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have not seen this behaviour - but I am running on Windows so that may be the difference.

To get the log for a job, you click the Jobs icon at the bottom right of the Calibre window to bring up the Jobs window, and then click on a specific job to see its log. As far as I know the log is only in memory, and not stored to disk (although I could be wrong about that).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Fishbowler

The log for the PDF -> EPUB is blank, despite the progress bar flashing through the various stages.

I've confirmed it does something similar for a mass conversion to FB2, this time with log cycling through 1209 sequential messages about converting CSS msostyles. I sensibly copied the text to the clipboard. Then promptly restarted the machine and booted into Windows. Oops.

I've also confirmed your own observation - the same books with the same operation in the same version of calibre don't error under Windows. PDF -> EPUB is a-okay under Win7 (using Unison to keep everything tidy).

Any thoughts as to what mught be tying up the last job, only under Linux?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How did you install calibre on linux?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
pmji

Running Calibre, installed by running the code on the Calibre site on 64 Bit Ubuntu 10.04:

I've had this happen to me fairly often but not every time, under Calibre in the early 0.7s.

Usually with batch converts > 5 items, .lit to .epub.

I didn't have that many old files to convert so I didn't bother reporting it, I've not had occasion to try it since 0.7.8.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Fishbowler

Installed / updated every time via the python CLI installer - the repo version is still at 0.6.42.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like an IPC problem. Try running calibre as

calibre-debug -g

from a terminal, run a job and post the output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #8
Fishbowler

I now seem unable to replicate this on either Linux box, whereas previously I could replicate it on either. No calibre updates have occurred in that time, but they're both Ubuntu so maybe a package update to something else has fixed it?

Suffice it to say I've converted everything into epub for now, and will report back should the problem re-occur.

Thanks for your help