Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #46
sirzur
sirzur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo mini
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately it did not work. It hid the directory "books" in the operating system. But it also hid it when I was trying to open the directory from Cool Reader.

I then renamed the directory on the sd card to .books. And when I closed out of Cool Reader, which forces a reboot (not reset), the scanning process started (and is taking a long long time). I only have books in the .books directory so it could only be scanning for that.

So in summary, it hid directory named books from both nickel and Cool Reader. But renaming the directory to .books still seemed to trigger a scan for importing content on a boot up. Firmware I am on is the latest - 4.18.13737
sirzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #47
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzur View Post
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately it did not work. It hid the directory "books" in the operating system. But it also hid it when I was trying to open the directory from Cool Reader.

I then renamed the directory on the sd card to .books. And when I closed out of Cool Reader, which forces a reboot (not reset), the scanning process started (and is taking a long long time). I only have books in the .books directory so it could only be scanning for that.

So in summary, it hid directory named books from both nickel and Cool Reader. But renaming the directory to .books still seemed to trigger a scan for importing content on a boot up. Firmware I am on is the latest - 4.18.13737
Ok, I'll make you another build. I think one of the recent changes messed up the process detection. But, if you still have it named .books, you can just use the zip from the beginning of the post, which I know works (unless it's a problem with the way cool reader is launched).

Last edited by geek1011; 10-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #48
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geek1011: that works, on my end (at least in theory ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #49
sirzur

Yeah, after all that fuss from my end, I finally capitulated and renamed the directory .books. For those working with Windows 10, who are reading this, the way to start a directory with a dot is to rename with starting and trailing dot ie .books. Windows will remove the trailing dot and leave the directory named .books

What did not help me was my microSD card getting corrupted. Everytime I tried something, the card will require a re-scan to fix issues. And after fixing the issue, there will either be a bunch of FSCKXX.rec files on the card, or the card would have been completely deleted. Finally I tried another card and it was OK

So I installed Cool reader which has main directory as subdirectory in .kobo (.kobo/vlasovsoft. And all the images in that directory has been scanned by nickel

Last edited by sirzur; 10-10-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #50
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, after all that fuss from my end, I finally capitulated and renamed the directory .books. For those working with Windows 10, who are reading this, the way to start a directory with a dot is to rename with starting and trailing dot ie .books. Windows will remove the trailing dot and leave the directory named .books

Quote:
So I installed Cool reader which has main directory as subdirectory in .kobo (.kobo/vlasovsoft. And all the images in that directory has been scanned by nickel
In general, it isn't a good idea to put stuff in the .kobo folder. If you have the option, you'd probably be better putting it in a folder like .vlavsoft or .adds/vlavsoft.

But, if you want to hide it and keep it in .kobo, you can put a regexp in the config file, as the .kobo dir is cleared on a reset anyways. Note that with the config option, you'll have to reinstall cool reader, as Kobo will delete it.
Advert
Old 10-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #51
sirzur

Yeah the location of the vlasovsoft directory is instructed by the author of Cool Reader. I would not be game to try to change the installation file or the pointers to the executable.

I might have to learn about regexp and go with that alternative

Thanks for your help
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #52
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah the location of the vlasovsoft directory is instructed by the author of Cool Reader. I would not be game to try to change the installation file or the pointers to the executable.

Thanks for your help
I can also make a build which hides vlavsoft, if you'd find that easier.

Last edited by geek1011; 10-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that hiding the .kobo folders will also break a number of things (Dropbox, for sure, possibly Pocket) if you also happen to be using Nickel from time to time .

(That's basically another vote for the: "don't put custom stuff in .kobo" pile ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #54
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:

Thanks for your help
Remember that CoolReader from vlasovsoft don't force you to put it into .kobo. In fact I have it in .adds like geek1011 suggested you.

EDIT: The .kobo location is from old days and is only there for compatibility with old installations, but was some long time that sergeyvl change it to .adds because some mods start to use it.

Last edited by boriar; 10-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #55
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
but was some long time that sergeyvl change it to .adds because some mods start to use it.
Can I find out where changed? In FAQ
Quote:
Copy the vlasovsoft folder from the archive to the flash root/.kobo directory of your reader
There and puted 99% of users. Although more correct in .adds/.addons
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #56
sirzur

I too would like to know where the instructions state to copy the directory to .adds. I just found this set of installation instructions and assumed that they are current - and the installation directory is in .kobo
http://wiki.vlasovsoft.net/doku.php?id=en:installation

Failing that I would like to take geek1011 up on his offer to exclude the vlasovsoft directory
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, it's a slightly newer build (with logging, and some internal cleanup by NiLuJe), plus it hides any dir named "books" as well as dotfiles/dirs based on sirzur's request.
I'm making another request. There are more of us that want books to be scanned then don't. So please remove the restriction on books. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #58
sirzur

Sorry - I thought of a question after expiration of edit time limit. If .kobo/vlasovsoft directory is excluded from nickel, does that mean that the reader cannot be launched?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #59
sirzur

Ignore please - duplicate question. My original question did not show up after I refreshed my screen and I thought it did not take
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #60
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm making another request. There are more of us that want books to be scanned then don't. So please remove the restriction on books. Thanks.
If you'd read back a few more posts, you would notice I was talking about a specific build for sirzur, not the one in the first post.

Tags
hack, hidden, import, kobo, ldpreload