Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
dwallace115
dwallace115 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Kobo Desktop & Calibre

I purchased an e-book from Kobo and downloaded it fine to my desktop. However, when I go to import it into Calibre, I can not find ANY iteration of the book and title anywhere on the PC. I'm guessing that Kobo uses some proprietary compression algorithm, as Adobe, Epubs and other books (with and without DRM) I've been able to locate and successfully import. I've done a pretty thorough search on trying to resolve this issue without success. If someone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. Again, both Calibre and Kobo on the same desktop. I simply would like to get the book into Calibre and can't figure out how to do that. (If anyone knows this is simply not possible with today's digital protection, then please let me know).

thank you very much,
Doug
dwallace115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I can only answer as a Windows user. Kobo purchases downloaded to Kobo Desktop will probably be in directory
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub\

They will have incomprehensible names with no file extension
e.g. aa9a9954-66b3-40ab-bfc2-4391c5fee6ba

They will be in kepub format rather than standard epub and will probably (but not always) have DRM which can be removed with the appropriate calibre Obok plugin from Apprentice Alf. Not allowed to say much more than that about DRM in these forums.

If you're more familiar with Alf's other de-DRM plugin then I believe you can download your book in standard epub format by logging into your account at Kobo.com and using the download option.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-28-2019 at 06:40 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
dwallace115
dwallace115 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you very much.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I can only answer as a Windows user. Kobo purchases downloaded to Kobo Desktop will probably be in directory
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub\

They will have incomprehensible names with no file extension
e.g. aa9a9954-66b3-40ab-bfc2-4391c5fee6ba

They will be in kepub format rather than standard epub and will probably (but not always) have DRM which can be removed with the appropriate calibre Obok plugin from Apprentice Alf. Not allowed to say much more than that about DRM in these forums.

If you're more familiar with Alf's other de-DRM plugin then I believe you can download your book in standard epub format by logging into your account at Kobo.com and using the download option.
Thank you so much. The 'fix' was directing me back to the Kobo site to simply download the e-pub format (encrypted with Adobe DRM). It's an obscure link within 'options' on the Kobo site, and not easy to find. Again, thank you for the kind direction. It's very much appreciated.
Best regards,
d
dwallace115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, import, kobo