Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #41476
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
So an update on the Family Thing:

Spoiler:

My uncle decided to appeal the verdict which was in our favour. This doesn't surprise me much, but it still sucks. The cost for us is not only lawyers fees but also almost €2000 to the court. It also means this thing will, again, drag on.

Normally the judge will set a date when he decides how to go on from there. In general nobody has to go to court for this date, sometimes the judge asks the lawyers to come if he has any questions. This time, however, the judge wants everybody, my father, aunt and uncle, to be present for a hearing. Our lawyer thinks ther is a possibility that the judge wants another round of mediation. Which my father will refuse; we've already tried that twice and my uncle only uses it to draw out the process.

Meanwhile my aunt has finally got her own lawyer, who is now working together with our lawyer. My aunt's lawyer was surprised at what my uncle's lawyer has done so far and hasn't quit the case yet.

This appeal will take place in a different district than where the first took place. Strangely court 1 doesn't send all the documents on to court 2, the person that appeals has to provide all the documents to the new court. A couple of weeks ago we got the notification that the court had received the documents from my uncle/his lawyer. My father doesn't trust either of them so he asked our lawyer to check if they indeed handed over ALL the documents. Our lawyer warned that that would be waste of money, she couldn't imagine my uncle's lawyer putting his reputation at risk by not sending all the documents.

Our lawyer called on Friday; my uncle and his lawyer hadn't handed in ALL the documents. They "forgot" one document which is really bad for him and really good for us. She has notified the court of this omission. She told us that that will way very heavily against my uncle's case. IMHO my uncle can't claim an oopsie anymore; there have been too many of those already (he paid several of his bills with my grandmother's account, he let my grandmother pay for several of his and his partner's insurances, etc.).

They have to go to court in June. Normally it would be a lot earlier, but my uncle gave so many dates he wasn't available (again this delaying tactic) that we have to wait three and a half months, which isn't good for my anxiety.

A bit of bad news and a bit of good news.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #41477
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
So an update on the Family Thing:
At this point, a hitman would be cheaper. And a LOT less aggravating.

P.S. In the States, your lawyer could file a request, with the court, that you be compensated for the additional legal fees you had to expend, to check the submissions by the appellant, and you would most likely be awarded those fees. Were I you, I'd ask your lawyer about this.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 03-04-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added the P.S. about the extra fees.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #41478
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
"Direct intervention" gets very tempting.

An event I help to run changed venues. The first time at the new location, people came up to me and said "Dennis! We grew up in this area! We know where the swamps are where you can stash the bodies! We know some people who know some people who can make them bodies to stash!"

I said "Hold that thought..." (I had few folks associated with the event I classified as bodies to stash.)

I mentioned it in a humorous aside to the GM of the hotel where the event was. He said "I understand perfectly. I'm from Chicago South Side. You got a problem? It will be taken care of, no questions asked. You'll just owe me..."

"Yeah, but what will I owe you? I'm in favor of debts I can pay..."
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #41479
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
"Direct intervention" gets very tempting.

An event I help to run changed venues. The first time at the new location, people came up to me and said "Dennis! We grew up in this area! We know where the swamps are where you can stash the bodies! We know some people who know some people who can make them bodies to stash!"

I said "Hold that thought..." (I had few folks associated with the event I classified as bodies to stash.)

I mentioned it in a humorous aside to the GM of the hotel where the event was. He said "I understand perfectly. I'm from Chicago South Side. You got a problem? It will be taken care of, no questions asked. You'll just owe me..."

"Yeah, but what will I owe you? I'm in favor of debts I can pay..."
______
Dennis

That uncle....man. I'd definitely be in favor of punching his lights out, at LEAST.

Hitch
Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 AM   #41480
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

P.S. In the States, your lawyer could file a request, with the court, that you be compensated for the additional legal fees you had to expend, to check the submissions by the appellant, and you would most likely be awarded those fees. Were I you, I'd ask your lawyer about this.

Hitch
In a previous court case he claimed my father never paid rent to my grandmother, that he had just let her sign the receipts and didn't pay her. So he claimed in court my father had to pay one million euros in unpaid rent, plus all the court costs he made, for my grandmother he said. We put in a counter claim that my grandmother would have never wanted him to do what he did and he had only done it for his own monetary gain, so he had to pay back all the money he spend on court cases plus our costs. The judge, understandably, rejected both claims. The judge did rule, however, that my uncle had to pay back half of the money he spend on the court cases because those were also to his benefit. He hasn't paid it back yet, I'm not expecting him to, since he hasn't paid back the the various insurances and sex (dating/cheating) sites he used my grandmother's account for to pay.

Quote:
That uncle....man. I'd definitely be in favor of punching his lights out, at LEAST.

Hitch
I'm not a violent person but if I met him somewhere I would have a very hard time to keep myself under control.

All the money spend on this thing over the past five years would have been a very sizeable chunk of the money we could have spend on buying the house. All because of my uncle feels his parents didn't treat him right and didn't give him a better chance in life and because he thinks my grandparents treated my father better than him*. He now wants to take revenge.

*My uncle always felt too good for the store and wasn't interested in it, so my grandparents let him go his own way. My father was interested in taking over the store. Which he eventually did, he paid off the tens of thousands of debt of the store and he paid for the maintenance of the building. In return my grandparents let him rent for a good price.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #41481
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Thanks for the well wishes all! Mom did not have a second stroke (she suffered a massive one in November of '16). Rather she is having a lot of BP trouble that presented like a stroke because it impaired her speech. We got her home yesterday!

Right now I am recovering from a monster row - 10k in under an hour - with some homemade gatorade.
Have them check for blockages as soon as you can. My sister Thursday who had a stroke due to severe high blood pressure last summer had a heart attack Thursday. She's in ICU. They found blockages and put in two stents which one collapse right away and they had to go and replace it and then yesterday the second one collapsed and they fixed that one. So we are waiting for then new ones to settle now.

The things is she has had severe high blood pressure for over five years and all the doctors would do is change her pills each time they stop working.

Had they actually checked for blockages like I suggested years ago instead of throwing different pills at her she might had never had a stroke or heart attack.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #41482
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm home again. I just have to walk the dog one last time later this afternoon, but after that life's back to normal again. I'm really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again.

I love Luca, but I wouldn't want a dog, at least not at this point in my life. Having to plan your day around dog walks is fine for a couple of weeks a year, but not as a regular thing.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #41483
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm home again. I just have to walk the dog one last time later this afternoon, but after that life's back to normal again. I'm really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again.

I love Luca, but I wouldn't want a dog, at least not at this point in my life. Having to plan your day around dog walks is fine for a couple of weeks a year, but not as a regular thing.
Cats are so much easier. They run your lives for you.

"You may feed me now."
"You may pet me now."
"Put down that book and worship me." "Seeing my litter box is not in pristine condition that I prefer...I have left you a little present to remind you to clean it."

Sent from my XT1528
Old 03-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #41484
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Thanks for the well wishes all! Mom did not have a second stroke (she suffered a massive one in November of '16). Rather she is having a lot of BP trouble that presented like a stroke because it impaired her speech. We got her home yesterday! . . .

I've been kind of busy lately and haven't been monitoring the boards as much so I'm just now finding out about your mom's stroke. I'm really sorry to hear of it, but glad to hear that she's home. I hope she has no further problems.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #41485
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I just treated myself to a couple of new books. I saw that I was a couple of version behind with Calibre, so I'm updating it now. After that I'm going to make a cup of tea and continue with The Punisher on Netflix.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #41486
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
If being literal and answering the question asked, there is only one proper answer, responding to this idiotic and ridiculous thread!
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #41487
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
It's almost pau hana!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #41488
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I'm trying to relax so much family drama dealing with mom's health aides. The good news is my sister is doing better after having four stents put in her heart after a heart attack last week she is sitting up and smiling. Her blood pressure is good once again and she should be released in a couple of days.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 03-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #41489
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I just treated myself to a couple of new books. I saw that I was a couple of version behind with Calibre, so I'm updating it now. After that I'm going to make a cup of tea and continue with The Punisher on Netflix.
I have to say, I've been undwhelmed with Marvel's Netflix offerings. Even Daredevil, which is inarguably the best of the litter, was a bit ruined for me by DD being portrayed by yet another minute male star. (YAMMS syndrome, is what I call it...hot on the heels of Tom Cruise, the airwaves are full of men who are smaller than I am. That's just not attractive to me, in a generic way. I'm not saying that some smaller-than-me men mightn't attract me; of course, they have and will. But really, the whole idea of teeny men running around kicking other men's asses just....whatever. And I'm not even "big" in some ways; I'm simply reasonably tall [just under 5'9"], and slender, not a big Viking girl. I can't imagine what larger Viking-type ladies think of these smaller male "action" heroes! And their bios--for male action stars, 5'8" seems to be the new 5'5".)

Jessica Jones, being hailed as some bastion of feminism, to me, is just TEDIOUS. Who cares what happens to such an obnoxious person? I sure as hell don't. Feminism <> being a d*ck.

The Iron Fist was HYSTERICAL, and certainly, not intentionally. It was miserably miscast, and the lead character is also horribly unlikable. It's as though you can predict his next line: "I'm the Iron Fist, I'm destined to..." despite the fact that his destiny seems to be to screw up everything he touches. I never did watch Luke Cage; I lived through the 70's, part of them in NYC. BTDT.

Punisher, also. I just never got to rooting for Frank, even though I normally do. (sigh).

AND, the ubiquitous female support characters, in typical girly support roles, who appear throughout. The spunky girl reporter (REALLY? COME ON!!!) and the NURSE. It's like watching ST:TNG, in which EVERY. SINGLE. WOMAN. (in ongoing roles) is in some "nurturing" role (counselor, doctor, sigh....). They killed off Tasha Yar, arguably the only viable non-typecast female, OF COURSE.

It's a shame. I was really looking forward to these, as Marvel has done such a terrific job with its cinematic offerings, but...YAWN. Maybe I'm just too old, or something, but...you have to be a diehard Marvel fan to keep watching these, I think. It's watching in SPITE of how bad they are (sort of like the first out-of-the gate ST movie...), not BECAUSE of how good they are.

Obviously, the real answer to the forum question is, ranting about Marvel. lol.

JMHO, and I know that others shall surely disagree,
Hitch
Old 03-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #41490
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have to say, I've been undwhelmed with Marvel's Netflix offerings.

[snip]

JMHO, and I know that others shall surely disagree,
Hitch
I agree with you.

I found Jessica Jones a very frustrating character and I'm not watching the second series. I loved the first Punisher film, but with the series I notice that I have to make myself watch it. So I'm now considering abandoning it, there are so many other series and films I want to watch. Lately it's become much easier to abandon series or stop watching a film I'm not really into. Probably because my watchlist on Netflix is huge and I see it every time I log in.

I'll finish watching BBC's Civilisations and after that I'll figure out what I want to watch on Netflix.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?