Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
samonakuba
samonakuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Blotchy Kindle screen printing?

Probably I'm too nitpicky, but I returned a loud clicker K3 in hopes of getting one that clicked silently near the bottom of the buttons, as I've heard they're supposed to. The new model is indeed silent, but I immediately noticed something preculiar about the screen and I can't for the life of me decide whether it's just my imagination.

The default serif font seems skinnier than I remember, and on some page loads there's a "blotchy" effect; certain lines or areas of text will be show up noticeably darker and thicker than the surrounding text, like a book where the print has rubbed off from age.

It's pretty distracting. I started to become particularly uneasy about it when I encountered the same word appearing on two consecutive lines in about the same spot, with the second one CLEARLY appearing fatter. I held the Kindle upside down to scrutinize the text and make sure it wasn't some kind of optical illusion and it wasn't, then flipped off the page and back, and the discrepancy disappeared, which indicated that the print quality is inconsistent.

Is this sort of thing normal? I had a chance to read a fair amount on my first Kindle before I returned it and I really don't remember anything like this.

Last edited by samonakuba; 08-09-2011 at 04:39 PM.
samonakuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Did you check different ebooks? Books in the awful Topaz format will often have poor fonts.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Try resetting it? Or just turning it off and on.

One a few occasions I've had a similar problem, or sometimes the text won't go all the way to the bottom of the screen, there will be like an inch of blank space.

It's pretty rare though, usually happens when I just wake it up.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote