Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #31
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds more like a small tablet than an e-Ink e-book reader?
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #32
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I was prepared to order one until I saw that it had no user-replaceable battery. Sorry, B&N, that was a deal killer.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #33
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Neither does Kindle, Sony, or iPad. User replaceable batteries are bad for new sales. *shrugs* Doesn't stop anyone once the warantee runs out - or if you could care less about the warantee.....
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
While the kindle says it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, there are u-tube videos out there showing just how easy it is.

As far as 'warranty' goes.....these batteries are supposed to last way longer than the one year warranties we are given......so whats the harm?

surely the nook color battery will be as easy to replace.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #35
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'll get one in 25 days.
no battery lasting 4 weeks no longer a deal breaker?
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
no battery lasting 4 weeks no longer a deal breaker?
Different device for a different purpose. NC will be used to replace my netbook for traveling; and also to read magazines and newspapers.

Still in the market for an ePub reader, but battery life is no longer an issue since none of them meet the requirement. I just won't take an ereader with me on those occasions like I previously planned.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #37
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Different device for a different purpose. NC will be used to replace my netbook for traveling; and also to read magazines and newspapers.

Still in the market for an ePub reader, but battery life is no longer an issue since none of them meet the requirement. I just won't take an ereader with me on those occasions like I previously planned.
I still think you give the latest version of th kobo a shot solid battery life epub good bookstore platform
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #38
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Two of my co-workers ordered theirs over the weekend via the B&N physical stores. The staff told them that they'll get the units in the stores sooner than those ordered through the web site. I'm going to be really mad if they get theirs first before I get mine.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #39
ashleydelavane
ashleydelavane began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook original, Kindle 3
The Nook Color will be at my local B&N store between Nov 17th to Nov 19th. They are also hoping to have the cases. However, as with the original Nook, there could could be a delay of a week or 2 quite easily. Also, the tax rate online is significantly lower than in my home town-5.5% compared to 7.75%. My Nook will ship on the 20th with free Express delivery. Previous experience means that I will get it Mon 22nd. Though the last time with the original Nook, it shipped a day early and I got it the next day. Remember that the B&N HQ/warehouses have to to receive it from the manufacturer, then it has to be shipped to the stores or to the client directly. They use UPS to ship to customers, and if you are a member then the free shipping is 1-3 days. I trust UPS to deliver from the warehouse to us, than B&N vehicles shipping to the stores and then waiting for the stores to unload etc. Just my preference.
ashleydelavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #40
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
*nods* I agree - I am just immensely impatient, and want it to have been here yesterday.

I will probably whine and grouse and worry until I have it in my hands, then I will be happy and play with it. After which I will whine and grouse about any flaws I perceive, as well as bragging over all the things it does well.

Welcome to human nature. Enjoy your stay!
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #41
ashleydelavane
ashleydelavane began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook original, Kindle 3
Well I purely ordered it since I was tired of messing with booklights when the light levels were low. I hope that 8 hours is achievable with 50% brightness and no wifi. Pretty much what I had with the ipad before I sold it, because it was so damned heavy. I sold it and pretty much got all my money back, then bought an HP Compaq laptop(at half price on special offer) and Nook original. If I can get about 8 hours then I will sell the original Nook. The Kindle 3 I still love though, but the Nook is just simply so cool and sexy. It has flaws but I just find the screen and display more pleasing.
ashleydelavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #42
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
why not buy one of those 7 inch android tablets instead of nook color. cheaper, same hardware and OS but with android market and OS access unlocked. and you can still install "nook for android" software (for color magazines and newspapers), but also amazon on it. i miss the point of buying a more expensive, locked down android tablet from b&n.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
why not buy one of those 7 inch android tablets instead of nook color. cheaper, same hardware and OS but with android market and OS access unlocked. and you can still install "nook for android" software (for color magazines and newspapers), but also amazon on it. i miss the point of buying a more expensive, locked down android tablet from b&n.
Do they use high end components like the Color? The ones I've seen specs for, don't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #44
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Do they use high end components like the Color? The ones I've seen specs for, don't.
Exactly, The HW on cheaper than color nook 7" tablets are not the same or as good as the color nook specs. In general the screen and proc are weaker on many offerings.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #45
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
I ordered mine on Tuesday...I can't wait!!!!
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote