Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
How is everyone enjoying their NC so far?

I've had mine for 11 day now and so far I'm really loving it.

My biggest surprise was how quickly I adapted to reading on the LCD screen. It did take a few tweaks here and there to dial in a nice screen I enjoy by adjusting the brightness and different color background. But after the tweaks I'm finding it much more enjoyable then I could have imagined.

I do enjoy the extra screen real estate. I think 7 inch is really the sweet spot.

I enjoy reading in bed with the lights off. I LOVE the "night" setting, It works great in our living room as well, since we like to watch TV in low lighting.

Web browsing was also a surprise. It's very fast at connecting and loading up pages. Not quite as fast as my Droid X but not too far behind either.
can't wait unit Flash is supported.

Also very pleased with how responsive it is.
I've read a couple of newspapers and one magazine. I enjoyed the magazine reading (Rolling Stone) on this.
The newspaper is the exact same rendition you see on the regular nook, just with color. I would like to see that change to the style used by the magazines but it's no big deal.

So far being just shy on two week, I can say I'm very pleased.

How about the rest of you guys and girls
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm still in the honeymoon stage.

Reading is better than anticipated. I don't have anything negative to say, except I wish the brightness could be dimmed lower. Initially this wasn't the case.

Magazines are fab! I did a trial newspaper subscription (NY Times), but decided to go with the feed from calibre. It looks fantastic on the NOOKcolor!!!

The game selection was an initial attraction. They haven't disappointed. Crosswords are challenging, but not to the point where you have to get hints all of the time.

I transfer audio and video content from iTunesU and video podcasts in iTunes. Some stuff I keep on my phone for when I'm in the car.

Web browsing is more than satisfactory while awaiting an update.

In January I eagerly paid $400 for my Sony 900 and did have buyer's remorse as the months went by. The NOOKcolor is at a price point that makes it a wise purchase. No doubt about it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
My honeymoon has worn off. My NC is going back tonight.

My primary reason is I just don't like reading on an LCD. Yes, I stare at a computer for hours, but reading a book is just different.

The browser is jittery just like most Android devices. I had connectivity issues with my home router (Netgear WNDR3700). I would be sitting right beside the router with full signal strength and it would not connect to the B&N store. Very annoying as it would only connect about 10% of the time.

I ordered a 3g nook from overstock.com for $85 last week. When it arrives, I'll use it for library ePubs. Outside of that, my Kindle 3 and iPhone / Macbook Pro are plenty for .pdfs, etc.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to see you leave the fold. At least you recognized early on it's not for you. Enjoy the NOOK!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I like it because I don't use it as an ereader. I bought it as a tablet to surf the net and watch movies; and for that, it's working great.

I'm still using a borrowed Sony PRS-300 until I decide which ereader I want to read novels on.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
jcarley
jcarley began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Nook Color
Glare concerns outside

I have not made the jump to ereaders yet, but am considering it. I am on the fence regarding the nook color. I like to read outside during my lunch hour when the weather permits and am concerned about the glare potential.

Also what kind of eye strain concerns are there? I've heard arguments from both sides, but what are users experiencing?

Thanks!
jcarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

You'll find people on both sides of the fence regarding LCD eyestrain. It's really a personal choice. You would have to experience it for yourself.

There is the potential for glare based on a variety of factors. I don't know if I would write the device off because it's not the best choice for 1 hour out of 24.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I love mine. I have both the nook color and the nook classic. I now use the nook color for everything. I gave my nook classic to my wife as I am not using it. Since they are on the same account, they have the same B&N content anyway.

I love the video, the web surfing, and the wifi support (I have it online at work). The PDF support is perfect and I loaded all my technical documents onto it, the best part is I produce a reasonable number of pdfs myself and all my charts and graphs look perfect.

The music player is pretty good and I love reading magazines too, though I don't consume much in the way of periodicals.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
The music player is pretty good and I love reading magazines too, though I don't consume much in the way of periodicals.
As soon as I can get a Zinio app, I'll do magazines too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
So far, so good! I'll post more after root arrives (looks like maybe tonight or tomorrow)...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
So far, so good! I'll post more after root arrives (looks like maybe tonight or tomorrow)...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
My honeymoon has worn off. My NC is going back tonight.

My primary reason is I just don't like reading on an LCD. Yes, I stare at a computer for hours, but reading a book is just different.

The browser is jittery just like most Android devices. I had connectivity issues with my home router (Netgear WNDR3700). I would be sitting right beside the router with full signal strength and it would not connect to the B&N store. Very annoying as it would only connect about 10% of the time.

I ordered a 3g nook from overstock.com for $85 last week. When it arrives, I'll use it for library ePubs. Outside of that, my Kindle 3 and iPhone / Macbook Pro are plenty for .pdfs, etc.
I've found that adjusting the background (both color and brightness) helps. I can usually get it so it looks a lot like e-ink, which is pretty smooth on the peepers.

If i'm staring at something on an LCD (one spot for long periods, or reading) I have to turn the brightness way down. Then when I switch to the web I notice the brightness is so low I can't see anything!

Last edited by Mac Jones; 11-29-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Been playing with it for a few hours. One thing that is really irksome is that the touchscreen seems to be extremely sensitive. So when I am typing a URL or login, I inevitably will spell incorrectly (likeeeeeeee thiiiiiiss). I don't know if it is just my unit or it is sensitive on all the NCs. I can't find any setting to change this either.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I'm loving it so far. I just completed my first novel on it and loved the experience. I'm finding it difficult to go back to the original nook the reading experience is so good on the color.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
may i join yo?

I too am very interested to see what a rooted NC can do
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote