Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
hoosier
hoosier began at the beginning.

Device: still deciding
What should I buy to compliment my wife's Nook?

Hi All - newbie to the e-reader thing here. i've posted a few questions on a couple of reader specific forums, but thought this one was best for the "what should I buy". So...I purchased a Nook today for my wife as a mothers day gift. I won't get into details because that's not what this forum is about, but lets just say is has everything SHE wants. After doing my research, I think I need to buy a reader for myself. I'm more technically inclined, and also don't need wireless/3g. I figure I should be able to spend $150 or less and get a reader that will suit my needs just fine - Sony PRS300, JetBook, Libre, etc. My wife and I do on occasion like to read the same books, mostly new bestseller fiction type of stuff. Since she'll be purchasing primarily from the B&N store, my question is this - Is there a reader out there that is known to be compatible with both B&N formats? (the way I understand it DRM epub and DRM pdb (ereader?)). It seems like such a simple question but alas I can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions from the 3 I mentioned or otherwise?

thanks in advance
hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Hopefully, I can get you started on the right path, but I'm no expert.

EPUB is pretty much compatible across the board. PDB compatibility appears to be less common. According to the matrix, the Pocketbook 360 and Onyx Boox can read PDB.

Regardless, you can always use the free and open-source Calibre software to convert files to and from EPUB/PDB.

I'm going to guess your main problem will be removing the DRM (if any). I don't know about DRM compatibility across devices, since I've made it a point never to buy books with DRM.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
PocketBook 360 or 301, if you want to read some PDFs
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHolyGrail View Post
I'm going to guess your main problem will be removing the DRM (if any). I don't know about DRM compatibility across devices, since I've made it a point never to buy books with DRM.
thanks NHG - unfortunately I think your username just about sums it up. since my wife will be almost exclusively buying from B&N (whole point in a nook for her was to keep it simple) I think DRM is exactly my problem. Starting to lean heavy towards just buying the reader i want and stripping DRM to share with her. Was hoping there was a reader out there that could handle the B&N DRM'd format(s). Thanks again for the input
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The Irex DR 800SG may be out of your price range but it does read B&N books.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Buy another Nook, then you guys will have another thing in common
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There is nothing in the market today that fits your requirements that is to : support B&N DRM, read technical books, at $150

There are some solutions in the works however that might work for your. There are a few Android tablets that are coming out that will fall in the $150-$200 price point. They should support B&N books--via the B&N app, and read PDFs (I'm assuming that when you say you read technical books they are in PDF format).

if you need something today then you will have to concede on one requirement.

For instance of price and B&N support are most important, the jetbook is an excellent option costing $120-$150.

If technical book support and B&N is a must then the iRex and the iPad might work for you.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There is nothing in the market today that fits your requirements that is to : support B&N DRM, read technical books, at $150

There are some solutions in the works however that might work for your. There are a few Android tablets that are coming out that will fall in the $150-$200 price point. They should support B&N books--via the B&N app, and read PDFs (I'm assuming that when you say you read technical books they are in PDF format).

if you need something today then you will have to concede on one requirement.

For instance of price and B&N support are most important, the jetbook is an excellent option costing $120-$150.

If technical book support and B&N is a must then the iRex and the iPad might work for you.

=X=

well, my decision was made for me when I found that fry's was selling the libre for $79.99 today. bought one at lunch. I know it doesn't support .pdb drm, but it does support epub drm, which I believe some b&n books come in. also, we can buy books from other stores in that format and the nook can handle it as well. all in all, for the $$, it's worth a shot. technical books are not important to me. I do like the fact that I'll be able to use the libre w/ no issues with books from my library. sorry for the jumbled thoughts, but i'm excited to have found such a deal on the libre. now to go do a google search on removing drm......
Old 05-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
well, my decision was made for me when I found that fry's was selling the libre for $79.99 today. bought one at lunch. I know it doesn't support .pdb drm, but it does support epub drm, which I believe some b&n books come in.
B&N uses their own ereader DRM for the Epub books. You cannot read B&N Epub books on the Libre.

B&N has licensed their DRM to Adobe. If and when other manufacturers update the software of their readers with the new Adobe software it should be possible to read B&N Ebub books on those other readers.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
B&N uses their own ereader DRM for the Epub books. You cannot read B&N Epub books on the Libre.

B&N has licensed their DRM to Adobe. If and when other manufacturers update the software of their readers with the new Adobe software it should be possible to read B&N Ebub books on those other readers.
Technically, the Libre can run the Jetbook Lite firmware (I do believe), which [again, I do believe] *can* read B&N Epub books.
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
But another Nook - you never know they might have little nooks in a few months .......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If I recall correctly, the Nook has a function for lending books to other nooks. Considering that you and your wife have similar reading habits, purchasing another Nook for sharing the books your wife purchases would free your budget of some constraints. Of course if you're willing to remove DRM from your books you can ditch the idea.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Definitely not another Nook. I mean there's nothing really particularly wrong with it, but you may want to diversify. Have you looked at the Bebook Neo or PocketBook 360?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
hoosier

I went with the Libre, and as we discovered over the weekend, if the book is purchased from the sony store (and I'm sure many others, we're just getting started), it read just great on both of our devices. Simple solution is that if she's buying a book I think I'd want to read also (which is just a % of what she buys), she'll just buy it from the Sony store....end of problem. I'm loving my Libre btw, and she's loving her Nook. I see a lot more reading in both our our futures
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If you're happy with what you bought, which is all what matters, then this thread fulfilled its mission and we MobileReaders have a new victory in form of a happy reader
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote