Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 12:54 AM   #1
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
National Science Fiction Day

I just found out that January is National Science Fiction Day. i will be sure to celebrate
Gardenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Science Fiction Day for those outside the USA. It is celebrated on January 2 for those who want to be more specific than the OP. The date was choosen to honor the birthday of Isaac Asimov though his actual birth date was between between Oct. 4, 1919 and Jan. 2, 1920 inclusive. The good Doctor choose to celebrate his birthday on Jan. 2.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Awesome!
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Science Fiction Day for those outside the USA. It is celebrated on January 2 for those who want to be more specific than the OP. The date was choosen to honor the birthday of Isaac Asimov though his actual birth date was between between Oct. 4, 1919 and Jan. 2, 1920 inclusive. The good Doctor choose to celebrate his birthday on Jan. 2.
Interesting. Is there no record of the birth? Otherwise it apears to have been a very complicated prolonged birth.

Also why only outside the USA? For copyright reasons? Ahh, nevermind, it is the wording. "National" is only added inside the US. Still strange.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-31-2018 at 03:40 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Interesting. Is there no record of the birth? Otherwise it apears to have been a very complicated prolonged birth.

According to Isaac:
Quote:
The date of my birth, as I celebrate it, was January 2, 1920. It could not have been later than that. It might, however, have been earlier. Allowing for the uncertainties of the times, of the lack of records, of the Jewish and Julian calendars, it might have been as early as October 4, 1919. There is, however, no way of finding out. My parents were always uncertain and it really doesn't matter. I celebrate January 2, 1920, so let it be.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
So, given the choice, he picked the date that made him as young as possible. That's how I would do it!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Asimov is one of those authors who I really wish I could get more of his backlist books in ebook format. Basically, what's available is his Foundation series, his Robot series and some odds and ends. Unfortunate given that he produced over 500 books that he either wrote or edited. I would love to get his Black Widower mystery stories. His science books are perhaps a bit dated now, but well worth reading. He was a favorite of mine and the big reason I started reading the magazine with his name on it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Not to mention his short stories.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm just glad it's not called Science Fiction / Fantasy Day. I think the conflation of the two genres would have annoyed Asimov, too.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Not to mention his short stories.
Of course. Magazines were the primary vehicle for getting paid for that generation of SF/F authors, so much of their output were short stories or short novels that lent itself to easy serialization. All the Black Widower stories were short stories. The original Foundation stories were basically novellas that tied together.

Asimov was born in Russia sometime in 1919 or 1920 and died in 1992, some 25 years ago. His second wife is still alive. Perhaps at some point when she dies, one of his children will show an interest in making more of his works available as ebooks.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
They will start trickling into the public domain in another 13 years in the US, assuming there isn't another copyright extension. . .

(Another 54 years in life + 70 domiciles)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I'm just glad it's not called Science Fiction / Fantasy Day. I think the conflation of the two genres would have annoyed Asimov, too.
He would NOT be alone. Sadly, if searching for "science fiction" at Kobo is any guide, "conflation" seems far too soft an understatement for the extent of the catastrophe/desecration/defilement/outrage. Not that Feel strongly about it, of course.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
He would NOT be alone. Sadly, if searching for "science fiction" at Kobo is any guide, "conflation" seems far too soft an understatement for the extent of the catastrophe/desecration/defilement/outrage. Not that Feel strongly about it, of course.
I have a similar problem searching for horror novels at Amazon. So many urban fantasies and supernatural romances are lumped in that it becomes tough to browse.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Combining the two goes way, way back. I don't think I've every been to a store that didn't put the two together. There are a number of authors who go back and forth between the two genres as well as works that blur the borders between the two. I suspect that Asimov associated fantasy with pulp works like Conan the Barbarian rather than the more literary works such as LOTR, or the precursors to LOTR. I tend to read both SF and Fantasy myself, so combining the two works pretty well for me.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I like both genres, too, but I like to keep the stories separate. I don't want witches on my spaceships. It does require some vigilance when purchasing.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote