Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Text Junkie
Text Junkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD --- pdf problems.

Hi guys,
I had a search of the forum and didn't find this mentioned...though searching for 'pdf' queries is probably not all that precise.

Anyway, here's my problem. When I load a PDF onto my Aura HD (via the latest Calibre) and try to view it on the Aura HD, it is only displaying approximately the top left quarter or third of the page. As far as the Aura HD is concerned, this is the whole page. There is no more of the page to be seen using the zoom features. You can only zoom further in.

I've tried things like cut and pasting the PDF onto the Aura HD, and deleting the associated .xml files .... and then I am getting an inverse of the problem: the whole page is being displayed - but shrunk to fit in the top left quarter of the screen. if I try to zoom in to this quarter, it reverts back to the original problem and starts displaying only a quarter/third of the original page as if it is the whole page....for a brief moment the Aura HD glitched and displayed the page properly, but when I tried view the next page it reverted to erroneous behaviour.

this is quite annoying, though I remain hopeful.... is this a bug that came with the 3.12 firmware ?

New user, and setting up my Aura HD for the first time updated the firmware...

any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. as it is i am pretty bummed out... staying hopeful though...

cheers
Text Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You can add Koreader to your device, many prefer it over the stock readers, for PDFs.

Installation

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
E11even-E11even
E11even-E11even began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hello, I was thinking about adding Koreader to my Kobo Aura as well. But before I do, I was wondering if there are any known PDF reading problems on the Kobos with easier fixes. Some of my PDFs load up incredibly slowly (to the point where I believed my reader was freezing) and have awful formatting, and then there are PDFs which are literally seven times the size of those that load up completely fine. When it loads up fine, I have no problems with the stock PDF reader. So is there any way to edit these in Calibre or something to read properly on a Kobo so we wouldn't have to install a whole new reading application?

PS. I searched through the forum to try and find references to these issues but I came up empty-handed.
E11even-E11even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a lot of variable PDF documents. It may be that the stock Kobo software's dependence on, and interaction with a database, limits the range of PDFs that the stock Kobo will allow you to read. PDFs with real structural problems can also effect Koreader, but it may be less likely.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seriously doubt there is ANY interaction between the database and the issues reading certain PDFs.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
E11even-E11even

Hrm, I definitely want to find out if I can fix this before I install Koreader, as I am under the impression that it would void any warranty I may have.

And thank you guys for the help.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Installation of 3rd party stuff does not void warranties. Factory Reset would ensure all traces are gone.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
E11even-E11even

Well, that changes everything then. I'm looking at Koreader's feature list and I can't find if it supports the front light. Does anybody know if it can?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by E11even-E11even View Post
Well, that changes everything then. I'm looking at Koreader's feature list and I can't find if it supports the front light. Does anybody know if it can?
Yes it does have controls in the menus to adjust the frontlight. It also has a "Night Mode". The features listed in the Wiki are probably still only a small subset of all the things that have been added to Koreader this year.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
Text Junkie

so i followed the instructions to install the Start Menu (as a means of facilitating a koreader installation) .... but koreader wouldn't launch.

i did a factory reset, connected to kobo desktop, it updated the firmware to 3.12
i rebooted
followed step one of the start menu installation
rebooted
followed step two
rebooted
applied bug fix
rebooted
installed koreader ....

and now it works : )
beautifully ....amazing how koreader handles PDF files compared to kobo's own software. Are the Kobo engineers on holiday or something ? .... although i haven't been able to zoom in and out of PDFs, dynamically, with koreader yet. perhaps it's not possible... but anyway so far i'm very happy.

thanks for this Ken
Old 12-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it that Forum Fiend has to tell us in every posted message that it was used in the writing of that message?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
E11even-E11even

Just wanna say thanks guys. I have Koreader now, but have managed to get the PDFs working well on the stock one, which is awesome.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:35 AM   #13
Text Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E11even-E11even View Post
Just wanna say thanks guys. I have Koreader now, but have managed to get the PDFs working well on the stock one, which is awesome.
you know what would be even more awesome ?
if you would explain how you did that...you know...considering it's pretty much the question being asked in the original post : )
Old 12-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that Forum Fiend has to tell us in every posted message that it was used in the writing of that message?
This is way off topic but just what are you referring to? What is Forum Fiend and where do you see this message?
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
This is way off topic but just what are you referring to? What is Forum Fiend and where do you see this message?
Forum Friend is a Tapatalk compatible program for using forums on a smallish screen. It;s for Android. Read back at some of PeterT's messages in this thread to see what I am talking about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote