Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Buddy13
overt-ops.com
Buddy13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question Kobo hides copyright?

I'm currently converting one of my books (as in, a book I wrote) into the ePub format and I noticed something odd. At the very end of the text, I added a small copyright notice (font-size: xx-small), but it wasn't showing up. So after some fiddling, I found that the Kobo seems to hide any and all text after a © symbol. I made some sample paragraphs around the copyright paragraph, and found that the word "copyright" won't trigger this, but once it's triggered, it hides paragraphs that follow as well.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know if this behavior is intentional? Or have I stumbled on some kind of weird bug?

[edit]: Okay, further testing. It seems it doesn't do it if I directly insert the "©" symbol rather than the escape code... Odd.

Last edited by Buddy13; 10-15-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Very odd.

Have you tried making a new ebub with just a few test paragraphs in it, just to remove the chance it's got something to do with your book? And try it in normal size text?

Just trying to remove other variables so you're left with a good test case.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Buddy13
overt-ops.com
Buddy13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Very odd.

Have you tried making a new ebub with just a few test paragraphs in it, just to remove the chance it's got something to do with your book? And try it in normal size text?

Just trying to remove other variables so you're left with a good test case.
Yep, I tried it with a blank one. Removed the size from the CSS. It happens with the & mdash; as well, but not with & #8212; so I'm guessing that the Kobo only recognizes numeric special characters, and goes nuts with the word-based codes. All text after a word-based code just disappears.

Last edited by Buddy13; 10-16-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: forum code is inconsistent in dealing with escape codes
Buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I guess it's possible that the Kobo doesn't like named character entities...

Maybe you could try some common ones such as & for ampersand and < for less than.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I was unable to duplicate this. Can you provide your test epub?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bug, copyright, kobo