Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #256
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I will have to scale back my target next year...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #257
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 100) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (Updated through November):
  • 108 books - 216% of my goal (150% of stretch goal) - GOAL MET
  • 57 short stories - 109% of my goal - GOAL MET
  • 34423 pages - 137% of my goal - GOAL MET
  • 52% female/nonbinary authors / 48% male authors - GOAL MET
  • 52% US authors (up from 47%) / 48% non-US authors (down from 52%) - off target - Still working on it!
  • 293 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - off target - I was reading this almost exclusively with my late cat in my lap and it has been HARD to go back to. I hope to make it, but we'll see.
  • TBR Reduction: Reduced by 48 - 192% of my goal (96% of stretch goal) - GOAL MET
  • New Leaf Book Club selections - 9 for 10 - on target - will complete this with the completion of Scarlet Pimpernel for December!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #258
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The new list thread for 2019 is up!

Go and reserve your spot!

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-11-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #259
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The new list thread for 2019 is up!

Go and reserve your spot!
Thank you!

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-11-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #260
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I only count freebies in my TBR if they are audio books or by an author I already read. So Mike Resnick will be in there, but Mike Wallace wasn't until I read one of his that I bought for $1 back in 2010. Weird things we track.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #261
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I only count freebies in my TBR if they are audio books or by an author I already read. So Mike Resnick will be in there, but Mike Wallace wasn't until I read one of his that I bought for $1 back in 2010. Weird things we track.
What about library books? They count against my TBR reduction because they add a title read without removing one of my unread titles. How do you folks handle it?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #262
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
What about library books? They count against my TBR reduction because they add a title read without removing one of my unread titles. How do you folks handle it?
I don't count library books or public domain as TBR reduction, only purchased books. It seems to me in this instance you'd have to add the book into your TBR first in order to count it, so it's null no matter what; otherwise you'd eventually reach the point where TBR reduction showed zero titles remaining, except that you'd still have unread books. TBR reduction is a subset of total books read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #263
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Library books get added to the TBR and removed when read. So yeah, a null.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #264
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
For library books I would add it to my TBR when I put it on hold (or when I know I will be) and then remove it when I get it in, so it ends up being neutral.

But really, I only pay attention to paid books. Right now my TBR is down by 1 book and $0.24 for 2018. Freebies I generally don't have enough invested in for it to bother me if they stay on my TBR forever and library books are transient enough that they don't matter either. Most of my freebies are on a second TBR list so they don't even show up most of the time. Only when I don't want to read anything on my main one.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #265
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I'm not tracking TBRs... it would be too depressing.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #266
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
For library books I would add it to my TBR when I put it on hold (or when I know I will be) and then remove it when I get it in, so it ends up being neutral.

But really, I only pay attention to paid books. Right now my TBR is down by 1 book and $0.24 for 2018. Freebies I generally don't have enough invested in for it to bother me if they stay on my TBR forever and library books are transient enough that they don't matter either. Most of my freebies are on a second TBR list so they don't even show up most of the time. Only when I don't want to read anything on my main one.
I track Library books in my "Books Bought in <year>" category. Because even if I didn't buy them, I invested the time and energy in acquiring and/or reading them. So my numbers are a bit skewed because of it. OTOH, keeps my cost/book down.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #267
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I must say I am very pleased with my progress this year. My goal of 50 books -- 3 of which had to be non-fiction since I rarely read those -- was met back in August. According to Goodreads my page count is 13,629 pages read across 77 books. The longest book I read in 2018 was The Marriage Stone by Josephine Darcy at 1,525 pages and the shortest at only 3 pages was Shhhhhh! by Atlin Merrick. Right now I am almost finished with my 78th book. That one also meets my goal of revisiting my DNF shelf, which thankfully is itsy bitsy compared to my TBR pile. I don't think I'm even going to bother counting the books there, they just keep right on coming!

My 2019 goal is what I'm working on now; the one thing I do know about it is that I want to read at least as many books as I did this year. Details to follow -- when I'm absolutely certain -- in the 2019 thread.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #268
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
How you define your TBR depends on your wishes. TBR to me are purchases rather than library or other stuff. I should exclude freebie audiobooks as well, but the spreadsheet I use includes all the audiobooks, not just the freebies. If I figure out how to exclude those without mucking up my spreadsheet, I'll eliminate those from the count as well.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #269
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
How you define your TBR depends on your wishes. TBR to me are purchases rather than library or other stuff. I should exclude freebie audiobooks as well, but the spreadsheet I use includes all the audiobooks, not just the freebies. If I figure out how to exclude those without mucking up my spreadsheet, I'll eliminate those from the count as well.
Of course, it's a personal preference. I was just taking a straw poll
Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #270
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Just finished my 62nd book of the year so have officially completed my challenge for number of books!

For the rest of the challenge... erm not so much. Of those 62 I read just 9 off my TBR, 2 were previously started books and I only made it to June on the book club. I was ill in July (0 books read ) and so skipped that month and never ended up returning.

Still happy to have read double the number I read in 2017!

latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote