Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Shady Characters plugin

*Note: Requires Sigil v0.8.3 and later *
*Note: Do not rename any Sigil plugin zip files before installing *

This plugin will work with either Python 3.4+ or Python 2.7+ (defaults to 3.x if both are present).

The Shady Characters plugin will expose many invisible unicode characters that can elude the eye and make editing searching (x)html markup confusing.

It converts those "invisible" characters to their numeric entity equivalents (I chose numeric because it's less likely to cause errors in conjunction with DTDs--or lack thereof). You can then do to those entities what you want.

Currently it looks for:

thin space
soft hyphen
zero-width joiner
word-joiner
zero-width non-breaking space
narrow non-breaking space
non-breaking space (only for completeness ... the Sigil environment is pretty toxic to the non-breaking space character anyway)

If you wish to customize the characters searched for, and/or what they get replaced with, edit the ShadyCharacters.json file (<Sigil preferences directory>/plugins_prefs/ShadyCharacters/ShadyCharacters.json). You will need to run the plugin at least once before the preference file exists. A single entry will look like:

Code:
"zwj": [
      "0x200D",
      "&#8205;"
    ],
The first field ("zwj") is fairly meaningless... it's a label so you know what the character is (zero-width joiner in this case).

The second field ("0x200D") is a string representation of the hex value of the character being sought (please include the quotes and the "0x" prefix)

The third field ("&#8205;") is the numeric entity that you wish to replace the character with when it's found (please note that the character will be replaced with whatever you choose to put here.)

In short:
Code:
"zwj": ["0x200D","&#8205;"],
is one entry. The trailing comma is only necessary if there's another entry to follow, but it hurts nothing if it's there on the last entry.

*Please note that if you edit the document in Book View after you convert the characters to entities with this plugin, they will be converted back to invisible characters (unless you have the numeric entities listed in Sigil's Preserve Entities preferences). Simply run the plugin again to turn them back to entities.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ShadyCharacters_v0.1.1.zip (1.4 KB, 1116 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Added this to the official plugin threads list.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Added this to the official plugin threads list.

KevinH
Thanks! I forgot to do that this morning and was away from my PC 'til this afternoon.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

this plugin is great framework for transliteration (well, serbian anyway). thanx a lot.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
this plugin is great framework for transliteration (well, serbian anyway). thanx a lot.
Glad you find it useful! Are there other unicode characters you think I should include by default (trying to stick with the invisible and/or special joiner/space theme)?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

sure. if i remember anything.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are there other unicode characters you think I should include by default
I had a book that used the "hair space" character:
https://www.fileformat.info/info/uni...200a/index.htm

So I added this to the json:
Code:

"hairsp": [
      "0x200A",
      "&#8202;"
    ],
I used a file with :
Code:
 <h1>hair 8202 =&#8202;=</h1>
The space shows in preview. Saved the file and the code is converted to a character.
But the plugin doesn't find them.

Quote:

No shady characters found in Text/Section0001.xhtml.
No shady characters found at all - no files altered.
-- PS. forum converted all the entities. Why the hell does "code" get converted....
Looked at your posts and see I need to use NOPARSE.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-26-2019 at 06:20 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

This plugin was created before the Preserve Entities preference setting was added to Sigil. You should be able to add the hairsp entity (or any other invisible character entity) to your preserve entities list and Sigil will convert any characters found when saving or manually Mending/Prettifying. If not, then the hairspace entity may be being converted into some other character (for unknown reasons.

I'll take a look at why the plugin may be acting up on the hairspace char, though. Have you verified the plugin still even works with any of the invisible characters? Sigil's gone through many changes since its time.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll take a look at why the plugin may be acting up on the hairspace char, though. Have you verified the plugin still even works with any of the invisible characters?
It does work with the default list.

But any changes I make to ShadyCharacters.json are reverted when I run the plugin.
Even if I delete everything, when I run the plugin it just restores the default.

Meanwhile; the preserve entities preference does work.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I uploaded a fix for the plugin so that it actually saves and uses any user-added characters to the json prefs file. Mainly for posterity.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
AlanHK
Guru

Thanks.
Quote:
I uploaded a fix for the plugin so that it actually saves and uses any user-added characters to the json prefs file.
So, for four years, that didn't work and no one noticed?

At least it wasn't me screwing up.
I kept thinking I had edited the wrong file or messed it up somehow.

Quote:
Mainly for posterity.
There is a use for it. If you want to see what characters are there and maybe then some S&R. But when done, you can let them go back to Unicode. If you use "preserve entities" you always see the codes.

I found this useful: https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/r...unctuation.asp
Lists "punctuation" including a lot of esoteric spaces.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-26-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
So, for four years, that didn't work and no one noticed?
Like I mentioned: it was just a stop-gap solution until the Preserve Entities feature was implemented. Not that many people used it--let alone customized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
At least it wasn't me screwing up.
I kept thinking I had edited the wrong file or messed it up somehow.
Sorry about that. Customizations could always be added directly to the matrix at the top of the plugin.py file. Perhaps that's what the few others who made use of the plugin did to customize it. *shrug*