Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
ceridwen
Enthusiast
ceridwen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Can you redeem an Indigo gift card on kobo.com?

If so, how? I have the gift card number and PIN. Where do I enter them on kobo.com to use it to pay for a book? When I go to checkout, I can check the "gift card" button to get a textbox with "Enter Kobo gift card number", but entering the Indigo card's number gives me an error (because it's not a Kobo gift card, presumably). Their help page suggests that it's possible to use Indigo cards on kobo.com. This thread also suggests that someone has managed to use an Indigo/Chapters card on kobo.com.

If it matters, I live in the US. (If Kobo turns out to be using IP geolocation to screw me over, I'm going to be very unhappy, but I wouldn't doubt they'd do it.)
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can't you use the Indigo gift card at Chapters to buy eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen View Post
If so, how? I have the gift card number and PIN. Where do I enter them on kobo.com to use it to pay for a book? When I go to checkout, I can check the "gift card" button to get a textbox with "Enter Kobo gift card number", but entering the Indigo card's number gives me an error (because it's not a Kobo gift card, presumably). Their help page suggests that it's possible to use Indigo cards on kobo.com. This thread also suggests that someone has managed to use an Indigo/Chapters card on kobo.com.

If it matters, I live in the US. (If Kobo turns out to be using IP geolocation to screw me over, I'm going to be very unhappy, but I wouldn't doubt they'd do it.)
It probably matters a good deal where you live. I get the option to use an Indigo gift card when I use the Kobo site but I live in Canada -- see the attached image. You might want to remember that Chapters/Indigo is a Canadian company and their gift cards are issued in Canadian dollars. Given that I can't use my Canadian issued Starbucks card in Seattle and Amazon.com will not accept an Amazon.ca gift card, I would not expect Kobo U.S. to accept an Indigo gift card. Heck, I can't even use Canadian coinage in American vending machines.

I think you are being a bit paranoid saying that they are out to screw you when you are using a gift card issued in a foreign currency by a different company. Though I must admit to a touch of curiosity as to where you obtained the gift card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboIndigo.png
Views:	1586
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	155753  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-19-2017 at 11:47 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
One of the annoying thing about using an Indigo gift card is that it does not save the card or balance on your accoun. If you plan on using the card exclusively for E-book, this means: 1. you have to re-enter the gift card numbers for every purchase made on the card, 2. Since you can't use two cards on a single purchase, you will be left with a balance that cant' but a whole book, so have to supplement it with Credit card.

To avoid this, if you plan on using the indigo card purely for e-books, I suggest using the balance of the Indigo card to buy a Kobo gift card.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indigo, kobo