Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
csudell
csudell began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs300
Newbie questions about books - please help

is there a sticky here where I can find out things like:

(I have a sony ereader PRS300)

1. if I borrow books from my public library with a 14 day checkout period, do the books come off my computer or my reader at that 14 day mark?

2. if they come off the reader, how? do you have to have the reader plugged in?

If I saw 5 books that I wanted from my public library, there is no way I can read them within 14 days. Seems like it would force me to borrow one (or two) at a time.

3. are there sources other than public libraries where new books are borrowed, even if for a small fee, rather than paying $10+ to buy a new book.

4. please confirm, if I purchase a book, I can then let a certain number of friends with the same ereader (or compatible) borrow the book from me.

thank you!

or can someone please help me?
csudell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi There!

About library, yes, just check out one or two at a time, depending on how fast or slowly you read. And with my library, there is an option to check out for 7, 14, or 21 days, and being a slow reader, I usually choose the 21 days.

At the end of the time, it just stops working and you can delete it. In my case, however, I've found out that it will keep being readable as long as I don't plug it into the computer. So I can finish it that way.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As for #4, there are many schools of thought on that. It is strictly illegal to copy and sell them to others. Sharing free is more of a gray area. Always be sure to back up your library to a disk.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
There will be a limit to how many different devices you can copy the book onto, and each device will need to be authorised through your computer (though you could do it with an SD card instead if their reader takes those). I don't know if that would wipe out any authorisations they might already have for their own books ...
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote