Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-01-2017, 01:04 AM   #1
AlanB
AlanB began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4 Mini
Managing series

New at this. But I see series are marked with a [1] or [2] etc.
Is there a way to indicate two or more books in a series in a single ebook edition.
For example I have an ebook [1], and then an ebook which is [2-5], and then the final ebook [6]
Is there a way to show that the second ebook includes the series 2-5?
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
New at this. But I see series are marked with a [1] or [2] etc.
Is there a way to indicate two or more books in a series in a single ebook edition.
For example I have an ebook [1], and then an ebook which is [2-5], and then the final ebook [6]
Is there a way to show that the second ebook includes the series 2-5?
Been hashed over many times over the years.

EPUB split is a tool to break them apart and avoid the number range issue.

I use [1.05] to imply range. That fails if there is a gap (ala J D Robb ).
1.5 is not 1-50 , but a half issue. the rule is it needs to appear to be a reasonable range
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
AlanB
AlanB began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4 Mini
Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if I was missing something.
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if I was missing something.
Nope. There will always be edge cases that break things.

Series [#] is really 2 fields underneath (String and Floating point). This allows numeric sorts of the members or you would see 1.10,100,2,200,3... alpha sorting)
There is no bullet proof solution.

BTW for magazines I use [year.issue#] and even that gets broken with 'double issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
series