Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
weeziepepper
Enthusiast
weeziepepper began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150, Astak Pocket Pro
I'm really freaking out! All my files are gone from my Pocket Pro!

The last few days I've been slowly downloading my ebooks to my new Pocket Pro. Everything was fine today, it was working and all the ebooks were on there. I used the adaptor to charge the battery. It was plugged in about 16 hours (I was out of town). When I saw the screen it had a picture of an electrical plug (not the lightning bolt picture). Then when I turned it on all of my ebooks were gone. The only file showing is "recent files" and it's empty. The Pocket Pro manual isn't even on there.
I do not use a SD card, all my files were just on the internal memory. Also when I plug the PP into the computer and try to open it (L drive) it says "the disk in drive L is not formatted, do you want to format it now?".

What happened? I have no clue if I did something wrong or if the reader is screwing up.

All I know is that I'm really annoyed and have no clue what to do. I don't want to try to format in case I mess it up even more.

Can someone help me?
weeziepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sounds like the onboard memory partition has become corrupted.
Don't know about the PP, but on the 6" Hanlins this is a (somewhat) common occurrence, with several causes. I had it happen to me once after a crash. Others reasons have been forwarded but I never found a full explanation before I gave up on the baseline firmware and moved to OpenInkpot on my BeBook.
Wait to see if Astak support or somebody around here has a better solution, but you may have to format the drive.
(sorry!)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Were you using the charger that came with it? If not it might be have discharged as all USB chargers are NOT alike.

What happens when you plug in in to your computer? OOPS I see it is saying unformatted. This sounds like some crash to me.

I think you will have to make sure it's charged, format the (internal) "drive" and reload your books. You DO have them backed up elsewhere, right?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it possible that you might have unplugged the USB connection from your PC without doing a "Safely Remove Hardware" first? This is a VERY common cause of file system corruption.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-20-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Typo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeziepepper View Post
The last few days I've been slowly downloading my ebooks to my new Pocket Pro. Everything was fine today, it was working and all the ebooks were on there. I used the adaptor to charge the battery. It was plugged in about 16 hours (I was out of town). When I saw the screen it had a picture of an electrical plug (not the lightning bolt picture). Then when I turned it on all of my ebooks were gone. The only file showing is "recent files" and it's empty. The Pocket Pro manual isn't even on there.

I do not use a SD card, all my files were just on the internal memory. Also when I plug the PP into the computer and try to open it (L drive) it says "the disk in drive L is not formatted, do you want to format it now?".

What happened? I have no clue if I did something wrong or if the reader is screwing up.

All I know is that I'm really annoyed and have no clue what to do. I don't want to try to format in case I mess it up even more.

Can someone help me?
The symbol you first saw was "Fully Charged" = Good

Nothing but "Recent files" (empty) = Very bad

"Recent files" is an auto-created folder. If it was not there at boot time, the system will make a new one.

Please say that you did not have the only copy of your books on the device.

I would suggest that you buy 1 or more SD cards (about US$6 for 2G, which is 4 times the on-board storage.) and use them for your library...Just in case your device has problems and you need to exchange it.
Pop the card from the slot of the old unit and insert into the new unit and you are "good to go". These are portable devices. Damage does happen.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks to you all for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think you will have to make sure it's charged, format the (internal) "drive" and reload your books. You DO have them backed up elsewhere, right?
Luckily I still have all my ebooks on a USB flash drive and computer. I was converting lots of lit files using convertlit, calibre, ADE, then dropping onto the PP so I still have all the different "formats" on my computer. That at least is a good thing.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it possible that you might have unplugged the USB connection from your PC without doing a "Safely Remove Hardware" first? This is a VERY common cause of file system corruption.
Everytime I disconnected from the computer I always used "safely remove hardware". Plus I had been reading a book for awhile before I plugged it in the outlet to charge. I was using both the charger and USB cord that came with the reader also.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks to you all for the help.

Luckily I still have all my ebooks on a USB flash drive and computer. I was converting lots of lit files using convertlit, calibre, ADE, then dropping onto the PP so I still have all the different "formats" on my computer. That at least is a good thing.

Whew! Still not a fun thing and very disconcerting.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Hopefully I can just reformat (or whatever) and not have to send it in to be fixed. I couldn't reach anyone at Astak customer service because it is the weekend.

It is very disconcerting - I was so excited to get the PP but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I really don't think I caused the corruption problem, I was very careful to "safely remove hardware" and it was working fine before I starting charging it.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
kennyc

I would reformat and reload (and make sure you keep a backup) and see what happens. If it does it again then get it replaced.

I've not had this happen with my PP, but I did have my Sony 505 reset and loose all my bookmarks one time. It's been fine since though.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks kennyc. How do I reformat? I have no clue what to do.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Still waiting for the surprise "Seasonal gift pack" to magically appear under the "Seasonal tree", I await the answer as well.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Thanks kennyc. How do I reformat? I have no clue what to do.

You said when it poped up it said Unformated -- it should give you the option there to format.

It does seem kinda weird that it would even do that though. The internal memory should be "formatted" by the firmware.

You might try doing a hard reset first -- with the reset button on the back -- if you haven't already.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Hi Kennyc. Thanks so much for your help! I did the reformat (with fingers crossed). At first the computer wouldn't recognize my reader but eventually I was able to hook it up again with ADE. It looks like it is ok again, just need to start downloading my ebooks one more time.
But if this happens again this baby will be going back to the Astak nursery! lol

Thanks again. If something else messes up I'll add to this thread for more help.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
kennyc

Cool.