Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Problems with latest IE8 patch?

I've been running IE8 flawlessly for the last year on my XP system. Since installing this week's "Windows Update" patch, though, it's started hanging whenever I leave it inactive for more than a minute or two. When I try to click on it to reactivate it it just doesn't respond, and I have to close it down.

Has anyone else experienced, or heard of, similar problems?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
is there a specific reason to use IE8 and not say, a good, standards compliant browser like Firefox, Opera or Chrome?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not want to get into a debate on the pros and cons of IE8. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do not want to get into a debate on the pros and cons of IE8. Thank you.
I think you're getting me wrong. I was only asking if there's a specific reason for IE8, as in an app that only works at your work that needs IE8 or some other reason. But if you want to be a nasty piece of work about it, go ahead. I spent 15 years as an IT tech working on various systems, I was only trying to help.

In fact, forget it. I wouldn't help you out now if you asked me in person.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I use IE8 because, running my own software and consultancy business, I need to ensure that my own website works correctly under IE, since this is the browser that the majority of my customers and clients use.

As I say, though, I really don't want this thread to get side-tracked into a discussion of whether or not I should be using IE8. I am simply asking whether anyone else has experienced stability issues resulting from this week's Windows Update IE8 patch.
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Harry, I downloaded and installed the last batch of updates too, and have had no problems with IE8, which is my main browser also, since I have to have it for online classes.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Harry, I downloaded and installed the last batch of updates too, and have had no problems with IE8, which is my main browser also, since I have to have it for online classes.
Thanks, Shel. Are you running XP, as a matter of interest, as I am?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Harry,

I run Windows XP and IE8 and have downloaded and installed the current batch of updates. Like Shel, I have no problems with IE8. On the off chance your problem may be memory related, FWIW, I have 4 GB of RAM installed.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm. It's a strange one. Rock-solid since I installed it, and then, following Tuesday's patch, it suddenly starts playing up. I've switched to using Firefox as an interim measure - hopefully IE will get fixed again next month.

Perhaps it's some sort of interaction between IE and one of the drivers on my machine.

Thank you for the feedback, anyway; I appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I prefer FireFox, so I only use IE when I have to log onto work OWA with a smart card, but it's been solid.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks, Shel. Are you running XP, as a matter of interest, as I am?
No, I'm running Windows 7, sorry, should have mentioned that.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
No, I'm running Windows 7, sorry, should have mentioned that.
Yes, it's working fine for me on my Windows 7 notebook; just my XP desktop that's playing it.