Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
Auto-rotation for KOReader on Android?

I've been running KOReader on my Kobo device for a while with good success.

I just added it to my Android tablet, and I'm unable to get it to do auto-rotation. This is particularly annoying when I read in landscape mode, since the info lists always come up in portrait mode . . . .

On my Kobo, I saw some "lock" options like "Ignore accelerometer events" that don't show up in the menus when I run on Android.

I scanned the forum, but didn't see any pointers to this.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

Dan
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
This post still applies: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=350
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
Hmmm, no luck

I did add patch.lua to the koreader directory and re-started . . . I don't know lua; do I need to do something else to force the patch to be included?
  • Info lists like the file manager are still always portrait mode
  • The book I'm reading is always landscape mode
  • The checkboxes (which I've seen on my Kobo) for the various rotation "lock" tools are missing
  • If I go to "Rotation" while reading the book, I don't get the various 90 degree / 180 degree checkboxes, but I can still change it from the bottom menu
  • 90 degree / 180 degree check boxes are there for the info list

Background data: Device is a Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite running Android 11

Thanks in advance!

Dan
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The patch worked at the time of the implementation. Will check again soon. Maybe another rota is applied at some time at launch (I'm not very sure about the platform independant code path followed).

The rest of stuff I can answer

> Info lists like the file manager are still always portrait mode
> The book I'm reading is always landscape mode

In the FM go to Settings -> Screen -> Rotation and check "Keep current rotation across views".

> The checkboxes (which I've seen on my Kobo) for the various rotation "lock" tools are missing

That's platform dependant code. They don't exist on android (like use volume keys to turn pages doesn't exist on kobos).

> If I go to "Rotation" while reading the book, I don't get the various 90 degree / 180 degree checkboxes, but I can still change it from the bottom menu

That happens on all platforms IIRC. On the reader the rotation options are in the bottom menu. The only option you'll see on the top menu is Keep current rotation across views".

> 90 degree / 180 degree check boxes are there for the info list

There's no such thing as a info list. That's called the file manager (or FM). KO has two different apps (reader and fm). On top of that it has different "views" made by a bunch of widgets. All widgets and views (which are containers of widgets) should follow the current rotation of the app you're currently on (reader/fm).

Apps (again, reader or FM) are what define the options you see on menus. So, technically true: on the FM rotation controls happen on Settings -> Screen -> Rotation

Reading OP again I think you will be fine with "Keep current rotation across views". If you read in landscape and your device defaults to portrait you'll see a little rotation artifact each time you launch the app. It is a bit annoying but the best we can get with "nosensor".
Old 11-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
the best we can get with "nosensor".
@NiLuJe

Long term solution is an unified interface for dealing with gyro.

AFAICT the options given in Kobos are:

- always follows the gyro
- follows gyro in landscape
- follows gyro in portrait
- do not follow gyro

We can do the same in android but it is not possible to change current rotation manually without "locking" future rotation changes.
Advert
Old 11-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
We can do the same in android but it is not possible to change current rotation manually without "locking" future rotation changes.
That seems an acceptable compromise, users who force a specific rotation are *probably* already using a full lock. Although you'll probably see a few using orientation locks for asymmetric devices (e.g., Oasis/Forma design), where relying on the gyro to swap hands is not entirely uncommon.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote