Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Ok ok, Lynx is too advanced for Zelda... Do you test your pages on Maxthon then?

-MJ
watch it buster or you'll end up on my List. also, i'd like to point out that there is a difference between "don't waste yet more of my time making me test and write hacks for a browser that doesn't even display IMAGES for god's sake, i am a designer after all, be glad i take the trouble to write valid code" and "too advanced for zelda".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
That sounds like the sort of day our new software engineer was having. He didn't know what he was supposed to be doing, so he decided to not to anything. I think he'll fit in
hee !
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #63
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
watch it buster or you'll end up on my List. also, i'd like to point out that there is a difference between "don't waste yet more of my time making me test and write hacks for a browser that doesn't even display IMAGES for god's sake, i am a designer after all, be glad i take the trouble to write valid code" and "too advanced for zelda".
Nice designer.... Talented designer...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #64
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Nice designer.... Talented designer...

-MJ
that's better.

()
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #65
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I bought a laptop a couple of years ago, when my IMac died. (Then I decided that the laptop was a bit heavy, so got an eee for travelling.

Laptops are a bit of a mixed bag, when used as one's main machine. They are neat, so take up a smaller amount of desk space. And you can take them to work in the garden on a nice day.

But there are downsides. The keyboard is not as ergonomic as a separate keyboard. It is flat and small. Also laptops encourage a slouching posture. If the screen is in front of your eyes then the keyboard is too high. If the keyboard is the right height, then you are probably developing a double chin as you look down.
I have been considering plugging in a keyboard and raising the laptop on a pile of books in order to overcome this. But I think that I may well get a desktop again, in a year or two.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #66
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Don't whine about slow connectivity, I downloaded my first Linux build in the early 90s at 1200 baud... I think it took about two weeks. And that was in the snow, uphill, both ways.

-MJ
I Know I'm spoiled

Seriously the main problem is that in the first of those places I'll only has a Microwave connection, with a peak speed of 128K down/ 16K Up with actual real world speeds of closer to 24K / 6K. Or use GPRS which is as slow there and even more expensive.

Lebanon has really poor connectivity, at least in the area where the house is.
There's a satellite link available at the office, but I'm wary of download large files there, as the charges for going over the limit are horrendous.

Egypt is nearly as bad, as while you can get 3G connectivity with decent speeds, the charges are pretty high, and until the exchage hooks up up with a landline, we can't even get dialup, let alone DSL.

And there are no Cafe's nearby where you can go use the Wifi as the Factory is in an Industrial area. You have to go about 20-30 Miles to get to the city, and its not really economical, dispite the cheap gas prices there (You can usually fill up the tank for $10-15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I have almost everyone where I work well trained - they mostly know to do that before they call me
Lucky You.

Thats still the first question I have to ask and walk the through. Its especially difficult when they've called me on Skype from that same machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Laptops are a bit of a mixed bag, when used as one's main machine. They are neat, so take up a smaller amount of desk space. And you can take them to work in the garden on a nice day.

But there are downsides. The keyboard is not as ergonomic as a separate keyboard. It is flat and small. Also laptops encourage a slouching posture.
True, that's why it has to be a personal decision based on how and where you work. I've personally gone down from a larger 15" laptop to a 12" as while the screen and keyboard is smaller, I wanted the lighter weight and size, and the ability to actually be able to open it in flight in Coach if I needed to.

As for keyboards, well they have gotten better over the last few years. Lenovo, HP and Dell have some really nice keyboards on their Ultraportable and Portable machines, especially if you compare them to machines just a few more years older.

The thing is that if you're going to be spending a least some amount of your day working at the desk, a Docking station is really useful. Hooking one up to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc means that you get the ergonomics of a desktop, but are assured that all your work is available on your machine for portable use. Keeping two separate machines, a Desktop and a Laptop can be quiet a pain, even is you use automatic sync programs to help.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #67
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I Know I'm spoiled

Seriously the main problem is that in the first of those places I'll only has a Microwave connection, with a peak speed of 128K down/ 16K Up with actual real world speeds of closer to 24K / 6K. Or use GPRS which is as slow there and even more expensive.

Lebanon has really poor connectivity, at least in the area where the house is.
There's a satellite link available at the office, but I'm wary of download large files there, as the charges for going over the limit are horrendous.

Egypt is nearly as bad, as while you can get 3G connectivity with decent speeds, the charges are pretty high, and until the exchage hooks up up with a landline, we can't even get dialup, let alone DSL.

And there are no Cafe's nearby where you can go use the Wifi as the Factory is in an Industrial area. You have to go about 20-30 Miles to get to the city, and its not really economical, dispite the cheap gas prices there (You can usually fill up the tank for $10-15)
It's just a flesh wound....

Ok I just woke up and didn't have anything good to reply with...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #68
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
It's just a flesh wound....

Ok I just woke up and didn't have anything good to reply with...

-MJ
heeheehee !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
The thing is that if you're going to be spending a least some amount of your day working at the desk, a Docking station is really useful. Hooking one up to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc means that you get the ergonomics of a desktop, but are assured that all your work is available on your machine for portable use. Keeping two separate machines, a Desktop and a Laptop can be quiet a pain, even is you use automatic sync programs to help.
ah, you see, here is where we have very different lifestyles : i spend the majority of my time working at my desk, and while there are times when portability would be very convenient, they are honestly pretty rare. if i had even one time per month when i *really* needed a portable computer then i think i would consider it already justified and get one... but so far, i haven't, and the times when i do i usually can find a different solution : a colleague i work often with has a portable which we use for client meetings, and if i / we are in the client's offices then even just a usb key drive with documents on it is enough... however as we have seen, this solution has its own potential problems, when you work with a client who does not know that you must properly eject a usb drive before removing it.

but i will definitely keep in mind your recommendations of which brands are the most flexible when it comes to replacing elements of the config, when i do one day get a portable computer (as i am sure i eventually will).
Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #69
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:

ah, you see, here is where we have very different lifestyles : i spend the majority of my time working at my desk, and while there are times when portability would be very convenient, they are honestly pretty rare.
Indeed, Thats why I think Computers and Electronics are a very personal choice, and each person should choose what works best for them.

The only thing I usually try to do is offer people alternatives, so they can actually consider the alternatives. Unlike you, a lot of people have not really considered what works best for them based on what they do and how they work.

They'll usually keep in doing what they've done in the past not considering the alternatives and potential benefits as they are comfortable with the familiar.

I remember how much it took to convince my father to get his first Ultra portable, as until then he had two different systems, one at home and another at work, and keeping things in sync between them was a bugbear.

Once he got his Ultra portable, he now carries it everywhere as its light enough and small enough that he doesn't notice the extra weight in his briefcase. The same thing happened when I convinced him to switch from Outlook Express to Outlook, and from pop3 to Hosted Exchange. While there was learning curve, Once he got used to it, he could not imagine working without it.

And as for being desk bound, I personally hate being stuck behind a desk, preferring to move around, even when at home or at the office. So to each his own
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #70
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
ARG !!! grilled usb drive ??? help !
Hmmm. Grilled usb drive. One of my favorite dishes was grilled cheese sandwish. Now I'm getting hungery.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #71
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hmmm. Grilled usb drive. One of my favorite dishes was grilled cheese sandwish. Now I'm getting hungery.

=X=
i was already getting hungry before you said that and now you've pushed me right over the edge. time for something to eat. grilled cheese sounds pretty good, actually...