Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes. but see my latest post above.

(it's not a portable, it's a desktop ; i've got 2 ports in the back on the motherboard, and 2 ports in the front, presumably on a separate card. none of them were recognized, but they're all back again.)
I'm glad they are back. Sometimes a reboot is all it takes. But, it can be frustrating.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdmanley View Post
glad you got it fixed! the problems ive had typically involved what appeared to be the loss of the FAT table on the drive which i was not able to find a way to fix.
zowie. that sounds bad. i hate it when i have computer trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm glad they are back. Sometimes a reboot is all it takes. But, it can be frustrating.
well, it did take more than a standard reboot (i did try that first, twice. no joy). but it could have been a lot more frustrating than it was. like, it could have been as frustrating as it was the first time that happened to me. as i said, 2 days of trawling forums and trying more and more complicated fixes, until finally the easiest (although not the easiest to find) actually worked. makes for a nice change.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm glad that I'm not required to throw anything at anyone, because I'm in a good mood today.

Re SP3. I was going to ignore XP SP3, but my computer downloaded it on the quiet, over several weeks, then asked me whether I wanted to install it. I did (after backing up my data elsewhere) and have had no problems atall, except that I had to install a patch in order to view old documents, made in Word 5. (I got my first computer in 1989 and I still use some of my older material as the basis for stuff I'm working on today.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

believe me, i am glad you're not required to throw anything at anyone too !!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #20
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Hard reboots are a staple in computer/electronics troubleshooting. Being a SysAdmin I felt like a right ass once when I called tech support on a router only to be directed to the unplug for 30 seconds and restart fix that I overlooked while running thru about 4 million other things.

And a good post to remind everyone reading that the most important thing you can do for your data is... Backup!

ZP, glad it was a simple fix.... -MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Ricky's suggestion on just Uninstalling the drivers from the System and restarting the system to allow them to be reinstalled is spot on, as I've used that method in the past to fix issues not just with USB, but with other devices as well.

Re: SP3

I've not seen any issues since installing SP3, so you should probably not run into any major problems.

Still, usually I tend to reinstall my OS once or twice a year anyway, and install Major updates at that time on a clean build before putting my other apps onto the system.

Less problems that way.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #22
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdmanley View Post
glad you got it fixed! the problems ive had typically involved what appeared to be the loss of the FAT table on the drive which i was not able to find a way to fix.
Have you tried using a tool like GetDataBack to recover the FAT Table.

I've had some good luck getting back Files, I've accidentally deleted off CF Cards as well as recovering files from Hard drives.

They have a free trial, so it may be worth a look. I've found that its been Money well spent in my case.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #23
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Hard reboots are a staple in computer/electronics troubleshooting. Being a SysAdmin I felt like a right ass once when I called tech support on a router only to be directed to the unplug for 30 seconds and restart fix that I overlooked while running thru about 4 million other things.
yep. isn't that always the way. although honestly it took me forever to find out about them, i wish they were a bit more common knowledge ! (among non sysadmins, i mean.)
Quote:
And a good post to remind everyone reading that the most important thing you can do for your data is... Backup!
absolutely !!!
Quote:
ZP, glad it was a simple fix.... -MJ
oh, i'm relieved as well, believe me !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Ricky's suggestion on just Uninstalling the drivers from the System and restarting the system to allow them to be reinstalled is spot on, as I've used that method in the past to fix issues not just with USB, but with other devices as well.
i would agree with you in general, but in this specific case i tried that the first time i had this problem (after a reinstall of the system) and it didn't work, so it's good to know about the hard reboot too (since that did work, both times).
Quote:
Re: SP3

I've not seen any issues since installing SP3, so you should probably not run into any major problems.
good to know. maybe i'll install it when i install my new tower.
Quote:
Still, usually I tend to reinstall my OS once or twice a year anyway, and install Major updates at that time on a clean build before putting my other apps onto the system.

Less problems that way.
now see, i have friends who do a complete reinstall every few months as well, and i seriously think y'all are insane. reinstalling my system and all my apps makes me want to shoot myself in the head and i try to avoid it at all costs. i was dancing for joy the day i learned about making ghosts of the system which allow a full re-install in approximately 15 minutes with minimum intervention. then i found out that no matter how perfect and up to date your ghost, you can't use it if you're installing on a new system (new proc / motherboard / etc.). i nearly cried.

but you can believe that the second i get done reinstalling everything, i'll make a ghost of my new system, and with a little luck i won't have to reinstall piece by piece again until the next time i upgrade (not for at least 2 or 3 years, and probably more like 5).
Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Have you tried using a tool like GetDataBack to recover the FAT Table.

I've had some good luck getting back Files, I've accidentally deleted off CF Cards as well as recovering files from Hard drives.

They have a free trial, so it may be worth a look. I've found that its been Money well spent in my case.
well i'm not glad i had that problem (although it was resolved quickly and easily, so i won't complain too much) but this thread is rapidly becoming a fount of good info, so maybe it was worth it.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #25
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
now see, i have friends who do a complete reinstall every few months as well, and i seriously think y'all are insane. reinstalling my system and all my apps makes me want to shoot myself in the head and i try to avoid it at all costs.
Well, Part of the reaso I do this is that i like to try out new Software and apps pretty regularly, and while Registry Cleaners, etc can help, after a while a clean install is the only option.

I've also found that while, I'm loath to uninstall an app which I use once in a blue moon, I'm more likely not going to install it on a clean system until I actually need it, Resulting in less Junk.

Finally, The curse of Windows strikes. I've seen performance improvements of 20-40% on reinstalling a clean system, and having been a Laptop user more or less exclusively for the last 7-8 years, every bit of performance is important.

It can be a pain, I agree usually taking 4-6 hours to setup and configure everything, not counting backup times, but I count it as an investment for saving me more time over the next few months.

And I usually try to have another Machine with me when doing that, so that I can distract myself when its chugging away. Mobileread is especially good for that
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Well, Part of the reaso I do this is that i like to try out new Software and apps pretty regularly, and while Registry Cleaners, etc can help, after a while a clean install is the only option.

I've also found that while, I'm loath to uninstall an app which I use once in a blue moon, I'm more likely not going to install it on a clean system until I actually need it, Resulting in less Junk.

Finally, The curse of Windows strikes. I've seen performance improvements of 20-40% on reinstalling a clean system, and having been a Laptop user more or less exclusively for the last 7-8 years, every bit of performance is important.

It can be a pain, I agree usually taking 4-6 hours to setup and configure everything, not counting backup times, but I count it as an investment for saving me more time over the next few months.
ah okay, well that does make sense (although i'm still going to want to shoot myself in the head, when i do it. ). but seriously, why don't you make a ghost, at least of your basic system, even if you install "extra" stuff on top that might change each time ? you'd still save yourself hours doing that. and even if there are updates that come out in between, reinstall the ghost, install the sp, make a new ghost... worth it. it seriously takes only about 15 minutes to make one.

Quote:
And I usually try to have another Machine with me when doing that, so that I can distract myself when its chugging away. Mobileread is especially good for that
*sigh* i wish i could do that. it would make things a lot less painful, i agree. sadly, i just have the one. i keep telling myself i should get a portable computer, for client meetings and for backup in case mine dies (because of course it always chooses the worst possible moment for that, when you've got a ton of work to do in approximately one tenth of the time you'd reasonably need to do it in), but at the same time i know i wouldn't use it very often so i've not yet managed to convince myself the cost is justified.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #27
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
That's why what you should do is make a clean base install with whatever packages/software you plan to always load. Then create an image of the drive and use that for your reloads every few months. Definitely saves time.

As for testing out new apps and what not, I'd highly recommend getting into virtualization or sandboxing. Look into VirtualPC, VMWare or Sandboxie. Be aware of certain licensing concerns with the first two as running Windows under Windows requires a second license. (Though MS has provided some legacy builds that you don't need a second license for, including an XP build to run under Vista) And some builds such as Vista Home aren't permitted to be run under a virtualization server.

Using any of those products can help keep your OS clean. Another product I'd recommend is CCleaner for temp files and cleaning up the registry (backup, backup, backup).

-MJ
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That's why what you should do is make a clean base install with whatever packages/software you plan to always load. Then create an image of the drive and use that for your reloads every few months. Definitely saves time.
yep.
Quote:
As for testing out new apps and what not, I'd highly recommend getting into virtualization or sandboxing. Look into VirtualPC, VMWare or Sandboxie. Be aware of certain licensing concerns with the first two as running Windows under Windows requires a second license. (Though MS has provided some legacy builds that you don't need a second license for, including an XP build to run under Vista) And some builds such as Vista Home aren't permitted to be run under a virtualization server.
you have got to be kidding me.
Quote:
Using any of those products can help keep your OS clean. Another product I'd recommend is CCleaner for temp files and cleaning up the registry (backup, backup, backup).

-MJ
i use ccleaner : very effective. another one i like is codestuff starter startup manager. very useful.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #29
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
ah okay, well that does make sense (although i'm still going to want to shoot myself in the head, when i do it. ). but seriously, why don't you make a ghost, at least of your basic system, even if you install "extra" stuff on top that might change each time ?
I've been meaning to do that, but everytime I Rebuild the system, it slips my Mind, So Its on top f my things to do when I reinstall list this time.
I'll probably be doing that and installing Vista when I have some time over Christmas.

Thinking of a Dual or Triple boot, with XP / Vista /Ubuntu.

Quote:
*sigh* i wish i could do that. it would make things a lot less painful, i agree. sadly, i just have the one. i keep telling myself i should get a portable computer, for client meetings and for backup in case mine dies (because of course it always chooses the worst possible moment for that, when you've got a ton of work to do in approximately one tenth of the time you'd reasonably need to do it in), but at the same time i know i wouldn't use it very often so i've not yet managed to convince myself the cost is justified.
The thing is that as I travel a lot and carry and use my laptop, 18 to 24 hrs a day (running encoding jobs, etc at night) I tend to wear out my laptops quiet a bit, usually resulting in me upgrading every 2-2.5 years.

The Older machine, if still working (Usually, but with problems, and without warranty) becomes a Home Media Server, and a backup computer. As I dont have a TV or music system at home My computer(s) also serve as as my primary means of entertainment.

Back to the topic on Hand, I'll urge you to really consider getting a portable machine. Once you get used to being Mobile, Its difficult, if not Impossible to be completely desk bound again. And while you may now think you may not use it too much, I think you'll be surprised once you get it.

If you feel that the Netbook's are to limited, there are some excellent deals right now on standard laptops. The only thing I usually suggest people do when getting a laptop is an extended manufacturers warrenty. Replacement Parts are to difficult to get otherwise, and usually too expensive.

Quote:

As for testing out new apps and what not, I'd highly recommend getting into virtualization or sandboxing.

-MJ
I've considered doing so in the past, but have been a bit uncertain, due to the usual performance penalty you get with virtualisation, not to mention limited support for External USB devices.

As my primary machine has been a laptop for awhile, where performance is already limited, I'm wary of having to reduce it even further.

Still its worth looking into again, and I'll definitely be making a ghost, next time I rebuild my system.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #30
mjh215
Guru

Laptops are evil... Forged in the fires of hell... That was my original opinion years back when I had to do repairs on them.

Then the first one I owned got confiscated by police when I left it at a clients house overnight...

I later formed a lower opinion while managing a networks security when people I wouldn't trust with their own MAC card and PIN number decided they wanted to travel with millions of dollars in corporate data constantly.

Then the second one I owned got stolen...

When I look at laptops I start hearing the theme from the Exorcist...

-MJ