Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #106
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
At the moment, DRM can be stripped, if you have things setup right.

That could likely change any time if Amazon wanted ... and we still can't strip it from version 25 and newer. So nowhere near a rare event like that meteor.

So in my view, not wise to buy a Kobo for me, counting on being able to strip the DRM from Kindle ebooks, which is what I mostly buy (99%). That to me, is like putting all your eggs in one basket.
Isn't buying all of your ebooks from a single source and then only reading them on a device from that same source the very definition of putting all your eggs in one basket?

For me, if Amazon makes a change where I can no longer remove DRM/convert books, I can start buying elsewhere. Meanwhile, all the purchases I have already made are already converted to DRM-free ePub, so I won't lose anything.

Quote:
That said, if I did buy a Kobo, it would be because I wasn't counting on the status quo not changing. It would be because I have a large library anyway, and I wanted a Kobo for practical reader reasons.
I agree. That is why I have my Kobo or Nook, even though I purchase from elsewhere.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #107
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Isn't buying all of your ebooks from a single source and then only reading them on a device from that same source the very definition of putting all your eggs in one basket?
Not in the same sense, because it is not me who makes it that way ... and really, when one buys an E-Ink device you are kind of locking yourself into the store or stores that support that reader anyway.

The greatest variety and cheapest prices kind of dictate.

Quote:
For me, if Amazon makes a change where I can no longer remove DRM/convert books, I can start buying elsewhere. Meanwhile, all the purchases I have already made are already converted to DRM-free ePub, so I won't lose anything.
True and likewise for me.

However, having a Kindle and Amazon preventing DRM removal, would not stop my purchasing and reading from them ... unless I wanted it to. I bought into the whole Kindle thing years ago, long before I knew I could remove DRM. I love that I can remove it, but it wasn't a factor for me originally.

I do admit though, that some parameters have changed since then, like the cost of ebooks not being reduced as much as they should be in a lot of instances ... just not living up to their initial and well founded promise. That would have a bearing on my toleration of DRM.

Another factor, for me at least, was that I felt Kindle just had no competition reader wise, back when I bought my Kindle Keyboard. It was a no brainer for me back then, unlike the market of acceptable readers available today.

But all things change. I have an even bigger library now, a good portion of which are ebooks. I was never likely to read all my physical books in my remaining time on this Earth. My growing ebook collection has only made that worse. So I could in reality, not buy any more books until I have caught up, run out of desirable reading.

But that would never happen before I die. I no longer feel I have to read all I have. The important thing for me always, was variety at my finger tips, and I have that in spades. That and full collections of authors I enjoy. And I started the collecting process long ago, long before the very different conditions we have now, which to some degree negate those earlier needs. Just the huge number and variety of books available now, is staggering.

Last edited by Timboli; 08-16-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #108
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I buy from Amazon and Kobo because so I am sure I can remove DRM. If the book has no DRM I can buy elsewhere.

But to answer to the OP question: I can only talk about Kindle and Kobo, I don't own any other device:

Kobo will let you read book synopsis/info (like a back cover) without open the book and moreover has a good integration with calibre.

Kindle will show synopsis when You open it and push "information" if the book is bought from Amazon; if the book is not bought from Amazon Your Kindle will connect to Kindle store to show synopsis inviting You to buy the book (I think it is a little strange: I own the book ) I don't know what happens if there isn't that book in Kindle store.

Last edited by ps67; 08-16-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: differences if the book is bought from amazon or not
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #109
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Not in the same sense, because it is not me who makes it that way
So buying your books from Amazon and stripping the DRM, which allows me to convert them to ePub (which is a more open format) is me putting all my eggs in one basket. But you buying your books and not stripping DRM is not? That is some confusing logic.

Quote:
... and really, when one buys an E-Ink device you are kind of locking yourself into the store or stores that support that reader anyway.
Not at all. I own Nooks and Kobos and buy from Amazon who don't support either.

Quote:
However, having a Kindle and Amazon preventing DRM removal, would not stop my purchasing and reading from them ... unless I wanted it to.
The same is true of any ebookstore I guess. I could buy from Nook or Kobo if I wanted to. I just don't want to.

Quote:
I do admit though, that some parameters have changed since then, like the cost of ebooks not being reduced as much as they should be in a lot of instances ...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #110
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So buying your books from Amazon and stripping the DRM, which allows me to convert them to ePub (which is a more open format) is me putting all my eggs in one basket. But you buying your books and not stripping DRM is not? That is some confusing logic.
I never said that or even inferred it.
I was very specific about what I said, and not broad like you are stating.

i.e. making a device purchase that relied on DRM removal.

EDIT
If I buy my ebooks from Amazon, and DRM is no longer removable, then all my eggs were in one basket as far as a Kobo device is concerned. But with a Kindle device, it matters not whether I can remove the DRM or not, as I can still read them on it regardless. It is far more likely, that DRM could stop being bypassed, than any issue that makes buying ebooks from Amazon, remotely like all my eggs in one basket. The only exception, would be ebooks not available through Amazon, that did not come in a Kindle (or suitable for) format, that had DRM. For those few, I just read them on my Samsung tablet, with the appropriate store app.

Quote:
Not at all. I own Nooks and Kobos and buy from Amazon who don't support either.
That ability could change any time.
Either due to Amazon or Alf or both.

In any case we are just going around in circles it seems to me.

My view isn't set in concrete, it is speculative.

P.S. Flog your horse all you like, that ain't gonna change the truth.

Last edited by Timboli; 08-18-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #111
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Had a look through my previous posts out of curiosity and remembered this thread... I thought I would give an update.

Kindle still doesn't allow for easily viewing a synopsis in the library, so over the years I've resorted to the following:

1. Add a metadata jacket via calibre to the front of the book. Not ideal since it requires opening the book, which takes time and marks the book as 1% read.

2. Generating a mobi catalog via calibre for all books in my library. Generating in mobi format marks it as a "periodical" which makes it easy to find on my kindle (filter by periodical), easy to navigate through sections sorted by author/genre/title/recently added, doesn't have the % read in the library list, and contains all useful info on my books. This is generally how I used to navigate my library on the kindle when looking for something specific.

3. Using the calibre sync app on my iPhone linked to my calibre library stored in dropbox. I've tried a few other apps like calibre companion but they're more suited to connecting to a calibre server rather than a cloud service like dropbox (and they're kinda ugly...). I don't have a PC that's on 24/7 so I don't bother with a server. I really like calibre sync as it's easy to navigate, saves my library offline once it's synced with dropvox, and I can view/sort by all the info in my calibre library - particularly custom column info (I have quite a few custom columns - I really enjoy organising my library to a ridiculous degree). At the moment this is the method I prefer for browsing my books, and once I choose a book to read I find it on my kindle and go from there.

Honestly, I don't know if the restrictive kindle ecosystem is worth the effort, and if my current kindle voyage ever dies then I will strongly consider getting one of the new kobos instead. The lack of warm lighting and waterproofing has already made me consider upgrading, but the screen quality of the voyage is just too good and I don't like upgrading for no reason. Also, kindles are much cheaper where I live. Anyway, for now I'm content to browse my calibre library via calibre sync on my phone and use the kindle solely as a reader rather than a library browser.
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #112
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanahk View Post
Honestly, I don't know if the restrictive kindle ecosystem is worth the effort, and if my current kindle voyage ever dies then I will strongly consider getting one of the new kobos instead. The lack of warm lighting and waterproofing has already made me consider upgrading, but the screen quality of the voyage is just too good and I don't like upgrading for no reason. Also, kindles are much cheaper where I live. Anyway, for now I'm content to browse my calibre library via calibre sync on my phone and use the kindle solely as a reader rather than a library browser.
Well if it's true that Amazon are going to disable transfer via usb, then many others will be jumping ship with you, me included.

I bought an ebook from Amazon uk today. Transfer via usb was available on the product page, but didn't work - they tried to send it wirelessly. I had to go to contents and devices in order to successfully download to my laptop.

There's a whole other thread about this annoyance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote