Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #91
Collin Moshman
Collin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Looks like a great product.
Collin Moshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #92
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Well The news is the new Sony PRS-T1 goes on sale next month here in Australia for a RRP of AU$179. that makes it damn competitive.

Kindle 3 Wifi - $159 available locally from Woolworths, DSE and BigW.
Kobo Touch - $169 available this month from Collins and Borders
Sony PRS-T1 - $179 available in October, from Sony and possibly Myer.

A pretty good choice now, compared to 18 months ago.
Very competitive. And almost not even worth buying it from the US when you consider shipping and handling.

Possibility of post Christmas sales discount will be interesting too.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #93
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Ah, but...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Very competitive. And almost not even worth buying it from the US when you consider shipping and handling.

Possibility of post Christmas sales discount will be interesting too.
Not if you can't use it in Oz - PLUS see WendyH post in the Sony section :-

The Sony guy that I spoke to said that as there would still be no Sony Store in Australia, the only way you could obtain books via wifi in Australia was through Google or the library. He may have been wrong, but he said you could not buy books using the browser. I asked him about other stores such as Borders and Kobo, and he said you would not be able to buy from them using wifi.

I asked what was the point of having wifi then and he said you could use it to look things up about whatever you were reading e.g. find out more info about something written in the book.

In my opinion, a bullet in the Sony foot!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #94
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Dont mean to be pedantic Carpetmojo but $150 is around £90 and 105 Euros
Yeah - I realised me math was wrong next day, but was too lazy , I assumed it would be spotted.

But, is any price too dear for this "new development " if the only place you can wifi books from is Sony bookstore, or a select number of [portals - see Wendy H in Sony section, whose actually handled one !] viz :-

"The Sony guy that I spoke to said that as there would still be no Sony Store in Australia, the only way you could obtain books via wifi in Australia was through Google or the library. He may have been wrong, but he said you could not buy books using the browser. I asked him about other stores such as Borders and Kobo, and he said you would not be able to buy from them using wifi.

I asked what was the point of having wifi then and he said you could use it to look things up about whatever you were reading e.g. find out more info about something written in the book."

So, if that's correct, I'm not getting one - its ridiculous.

So, score seems to be :
Sony 0 (after a lot of pointless effort?) : kindle --- (name your figure)

No wonder a guy in our computer shop said he would never ever advise anyone to buy a Sony computer .....'cos they didn't have a clue !

I thought that harsh at the time, but .............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #95
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
"The Sony guy that I spoke to said that as there would still be no Sony Store in Australia, the only way you could obtain books via wifi in Australia was through Google or the library. He may have been wrong, but he said you could not buy books using the browser. I asked him about other stores such as Borders and Kobo, and he said you would not be able to buy from them using wifi.

I asked what was the point of having wifi then and he said you could use it to look things up about whatever you were reading e.g. find out more info about something written in the book."

So, if that's correct, I'm not getting one - its ridiculous.

So, score seems to be :
Sony 0 (after a lot of pointless effort?) : kindle --- (name your figure)

No wonder a guy in our computer shop said he would never ever advise anyone to buy a Sony computer .....'cos they didn't have a clue !

I thought that harsh at the time, but .............
Let me ask you this, are people able to purchase and download books from other stores with the Nook & Kindle? If not, then this shouldn't be held against Sony if the others don't allow it.

And certainly nothing is stopping them from doing it the old fashioned way via their computers.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #96
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
carpetmojo,

don't get your knickers in a twist. Australia isn't the world's largest book market. It is completely reasonable for Sony to concentrate on other markets first. Apart from that there are other uses for Wi-Fi, even though I personally don't see Wi-Fi as important for an ebook reader anyway.
It isn't even established that you cannot use the functionality with other shops, though.
BTW, which other shops than Amazon's own can you use with the Kindle via Wi-Fi?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #97
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
Sorry that's €149 including all taxes and delivery.
For the T1. The Kindle 3, which was also mentioned in the post I quoted, is €139.

Regardless of T1 or K3, you're still paying 19% VAT that is already figured into that price, where as the US price DOES NOT include tax. In the US, advertised prices generally never include tax, since it can vary so much depending on where you buy it. The reason for this is individual towns, counties, and states can have their own additional taxes. For instance, say I buy a case for my reader from Walmart for $20 plus tax in Chesterfield, Missouri, and my girlfriend buys the same one from a Walmart in O'Fallon, Missouri that is about 10 miles away in another county. We'll probably be paying two different amounts of tax, O'Fallon and Chesterfield have different tax rates, plus the counties have different tax rates as well. The final price could be a couple dollars different, due to the tax rates.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #98
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The Sony guy that I spoke to said that as there would still be no Sony Store in Australia, the only way you could obtain books via wifi in Australia was through Google or the library. He may have been wrong, but he said you could not buy books using the browser. I asked him about other stores such as Borders and Kobo, and he said you would not be able to buy from them using wifi.

In my opinion, a bullet in the Sony foot!

Frankly, I don't put much stock into what the minimum wage workers in stores tell you. Half the time they have no idea what they're talking about and the other half they make stuff up based on their very limited knowledge. They don't have a clue and to slam the company and the new Reader because of what some peon in a store said says more about you than the company or their Reader.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #99
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
What evidence is there that this was ever the case? If Sony couldn't make enough to meet supposed 'demand' than they really need to make changes to the way they manufacturer their readers. You don't see the Kindle out of stock or 'temporarily unavailable' for huge stretches of the financial year. They do need to compete on price.
Sony does not make every part, so they are at the mercy of other suppliers, specifically the eInk screens.

So I stand by my statement, if I can get 100,000 eInk screens a year, and sell 100,000 readers a year at a higher price, I HAVE NO NEED TO COMPETE ON PRICE.

And with virtually every product out there, there are those that will buy strictly on price and those who will pay more for quality or perceived quality. Do you drive the cheapest car made? If not, why not? Do you think that BMW and Mercedes and Porsche need to come out with low cost models to compete strictly on price?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #100
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Sony does not make every part, so they are at the mercy of other suppliers, specifically the eInk screens.

So I stand by my statement, if I can get 100,000 eInk screens a year, and sell 100,000 readers a year at a higher price, I HAVE NO NEED TO COMPETE ON PRICE.

And with virtually every product out there, there are those that will buy strictly on price and those who will pay more for quality or perceived quality. Do you drive the cheapest car made? If not, why not? Do you think that BMW and Mercedes and Porsche need to come out with low cost models to compete strictly on price?
Umm, they would if their cars drove more or less the same as a Toyota, and they only differentiate themselves on things like styling, fancy sound system, etc.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #101
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
carpetmojo,
don't get your knickers in a twist. Australia isn't the world's largest book market. It is completely reasonable for Sony to concentrate on other markets first.
We migh not be the biggest but we still exist if they are going to sell it here than it should be just as functional as it is in any of their other markets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
BTW, which other shops than Amazon's own can you use with the Kindle via Wi-Fi?
Its not a matter of them allowing us access to other stores but access to any store. If they are not going to provide us with access to their own reader store than we should be allowed to access the A&R or Borders store this is who they partnered the 650 with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Frankly, I don't put much stock into what the minimum wage workers in stores tell you. Half the time they have no idea what they're talking about and the other half they make stuff up based on their very limited knowledge. They don't have a clue and to slam the company and the new Reader because of what some peon in a store said says more about you than the company or their Reader.
It was not some sales pleb in a store it was the Sony employee at the official product launch, it would be fair to assume that they can get it right.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #102
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
And with virtually every product out there, there are those that will buy strictly on price and those who will pay more for quality or perceived quality.
And those who can buy a high quality ereader for a very low price (KSO - $114).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #103
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Well The news is the new Sony PRS-T1 goes on sale next month here in Australia for a RRP of AU$179. that makes it damn competitive.

Kindle 3 Wifi - $159 available locally from Woolworths, DSE and BigW.
Kobo Touch - $169 available this month from Collins and Borders
Sony PRS-T1 - $179 available in October, from Sony and possibly Myer.

A pretty good choice now, compared to 18 months ago.
Yes, and given that the Kobo Touch has managed to lose most of its market share and customer loyalty due to not allowing it to be sold in Australia for months I am fast becoming a new Sony fan!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #104
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Looking at the photos again, I just realized each one has a different color strip at the bottom. I'm liking the white one more and more with that silver strip to go with the silver buttons.
Well as you know, it really is all about style.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
And the other half of the time they are instructed in exactly what to say and fired if they don't (it has happened to my daughter).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote