Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
like I said don't try to aim the game for every model of Android, besides all high end Android phones, Droid X, Droid 2 The incredible ,EVO Galaxy S etc all have hardware that is arguable superior to the iPhone. And besides the Screen real estate alone on all the high end Android phones would make a much more superior and enjoyable gaming experience as opposed the the iPhone's 3.5 screen. Heck our receptionist can't stand playing angry birds on her iPhone after she plays it on my Droid X. and that's about of a basic game as you are going to get.

Again I don't buy it.
I'm not sure what you "don't buy". Epic is a game developer that wants to make money. If it is all as easy as you make it sound, I'm pretty sure they would do it, if it meant it was worth the time and money invested in it.

And it isn't a religious issue with them (unlike obviously for some people)-they develop for any platform that they can make money off of. In fact, they are happy to license their tech to anyone, including Android devs. They just aren't going to waste their time and energy developing for Android, until the platform stabilizes enough for them.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #17
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
They just aren't going to waste their time and energy developing for Android, until the platform stabilizes enough for them.
Fine by me
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Whatever. Rock do they pay you to spread this manure?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
it would be nice if mfg stop skinning android. it slows down the upgrade process. and then stop allowing mfgs to controll the upgrades. there are devices full well able to run the most recent versions of android but are being denied. one reason is bc the mfgs want you to upgrade your device if you want a more modern os.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
it would be nice if mfg stop skinning android. it slows down the upgrade process. and then stop allowing mfgs to controll the upgrades. there are devices full well able to run the most recent versions of android but are being denied. one reason is bc the mfgs want you to upgrade your device if you want a more modern os.
Sure, but look at it from HTC, Samsung, and Motorola's point of view. They need to differentiate their handsets from one another, and don't want to become some crappy lowest common denominator commodity supplier...skins and UI's are the cheapest way for them to set themselves apart.

Of course, android purists always have had the option of getting pure Android phones-the Nexus, Nexus S, the G1, and the G2.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #21
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Showstopper seems an awfully generous description for that game anyway, pretty but shallow seems more apt and maybe explains why it seems more at home on ios than anywhere else.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
m0bileMan
m0bileMan began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 4s, android 2.2 device
Smile REAL reasons why they haven't made Infinity Blade for android

i don't think its because they don't want android or that they don't want to develop for it
loot at it from the side of epic
android's app security is 0.0
they have no way of checking for a legit code-signing ID, so they can't check if the app is bought or just downloaded from some random illegal site
i develop for android and iOS
but I'm not gonna release any great, hard-to-develop apps for android either since anyone can get illegal versions of the app from anywhere and install it

also, when you look at how many high-end android phones are sold, and how many iOS devices are sold, then you see its not even worth porting it
android is sold a lot as cheap phone/tablet, but not as expensive phone/tablet
thats the reason why some people want android
because they are cheap

i do own an android tablet for development
a 1GHZ samsung tablet
but when i run the same app on android and on my iPhone 4 (my old iPhone)
then the android app runs slower on android then on my iPhone
(I'm talking about angry birds)

and no other cellphone/tablet has the iPhone/iPad 1GHZ dual core from iPad 2/iPhone 4s
m0bileMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Almost sounds like a clone of RockdaMan... with blinders on.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
This is a gorgeous game. Gameplay though....it's ok. I still need to beat the 1st one.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #25
m0bileMan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Almost sounds like a clone of RockdaMan... with blinders on.
no I'm not blinded
as i said, i develop for android to
but i know the weak points of android, most users are happy with them
like when they can have illegal games running on a non-hacked device
but as developer, its not that nice

i would like to see more android apps out there to
hopefully google finally does something good here and fix those problems
but they usually make something great, then let it die a slow and painful death
so i think android is heading that same way
the start was great, but half-way, its gonna stop every update

face it
google is a mess
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bileMan View Post
no I'm not blinded
as i said, i develop for android to
but i know the weak points of android, most users are happy with them
like when they can have illegal games running on a non-hacked device
but as developer, its not that nice

i would like to see more android apps out there to
hopefully google finally does something good here and fix those problems
but they usually make something great, then let it die a slow and painful death
so i think android is heading that same way
the start was great, but half-way, its gonna stop every update

face it
google is a mess
No you are just a troll.

First of all the SGSII's have the raw horsepower of the iphone4S / ipad2, so your point there is incorrect. The exynos processor is a beast. It is also in the new galaxy tab 7 plus and 7.7. And guess who led sales of phones last quarter.. Hint its not a fruit.

Second of all this thread was 8 months old when you resurrected this.

Third, Infinity Blade sucks. Pretty but monotonous

Fourth, piracy is rampant on the ios ecosystem as well.

Nice first (and second) post(s) though.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
m0bileMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
No you are just a troll.

First of all the SGSII's have the raw horsepower of the iphone4S / ipad2, so your point there is incorrect. The exynos processor is a beast. It is also in the new galaxy tab 7 plus and 7.7. And guess who led sales of phones last quarter.. Hint its not a fruit.

Second of all this thread was 8 months old when you resurrected this.

Third, Infinity Blade sucks. Pretty but monotonous

Fourth, piracy is rampant on the ios ecosystem as well.

Nice first (and second) post(s) though.
iOS can't run hacked games
you should look it up
and we have a way of securing our apps
but what you said about infinity blade, well, i feel the same as you
but i do like it, the second part is released now and i am playing it every day
but i understand if you won't play it
thats up to you

what you said about the processing power
true
but android works different with treads then iOS
and that makes it go slower, even on a faster processor
look at the benchmark of several cellphones
where some have a better processor, they do run slower
also because iPad 2 and iPhone 4s are dual core
and that is not supported by android yet
maybe (hopefully) they support it in the future
Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #28
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
you should look it up
but what you said about infinity blade, well, i feel the same as you
but i do like it, the second part is released now and i am playing it every day
but i understand if you won't play it
thats up to you

what you said about the processing power
true
but android works different with treads then iOS
and that makes it go slower, even on a faster processor
look at the benchmark of several cellphones
where some have a better processor, they do run slower
also because iPad 2 and iPhone 4s are dual core
and that is not supported by android yet
maybe (hopefully) they support it in the future
Android 3.x (Honeycomb) and 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) support dual cores. From what you listed as your device, you are running 2.2 (Froyo) which is an older, outdated OS for tablets. That's what I meant when I said you seemed to have blinders on, for someone who claims to be a developer, you are remarkably uninformed about Android.

In addition, any jailbroken iOS device can run pirated apps, so you're not as secure as you would like to think.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
Quote:
you should look it up
This must be why no one develops games for Windows.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
This must be why no one develops games for Windows.
Or Xbox or Playstation. If one is crafty enough, that person kind find just about any software that has been hacked to get around any security measure on just about any platform.

Look at it this way, the security measures of Blueray were hacked before the first disks were released. there comes a point where paying for encryption is just silly. And much of the same applies to software protection, all you can really hope to do is prevent the extremely casual user from copying it, the experienced users will normally find a way to get around the protections.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote