Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #31
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
So I've just checked what I highlighted when I was reading in this book and got reminded that I had a few questions...

That was from the first chapter. What are "Local Option Townships"? (And why are they called this?)

The quote reads like it should, but does anyone know if "full of it" actually did have the same connotations then as now?
It would seem that "full of it" is a colloquial and casual usage. Whether or not it ever has or had positive connotations is apparently open to question—though I’ve never heard it so used. Here's a discussion from the English Language and Usage site:

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...it/99936#99936

There does seem to be a distinction made between simply "full of" and "full of it".

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #32
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Under the Ontario Temperance Act, local townships or municipalities could opt to prohibit ALL sales, manufacture, or importation of alcohol. Even after the act was repealed:
Thanks very much. From the context I had assumed it must have been something along those lines but it's good to have the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
It would seem that "full of it" is a colloquial and casual usage. Whether or not it ever has or had positive connotations is apparently open to question—though I’ve never heard it so used. Here's a discussion from the English Language and Usage site:

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...it/99936#99936

There does seem to be a distinction made between simply "full of" and "full of it".
I've seen (and used) both the connotations described on that link.

The context of the quote makes me think the phrase must have had much the same connotation then, but I can't find anything that gives any hint as to how long the phrase has been interpreted this way.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Mariposa was intended to be a composite sketch of Anywhere Small Town, Canada. I’m curious if people envisioned any specific places while reading. I kept imagining a place like Lake Tahoe and the towns around it such as Truckee, California. I’ve read some historical books and memoirs from settlers in the area and visited there too. It has mountains, mining, logging, train station leading to larger cities, boat excursions, etc.

I also kept imagining the set of the CBC TV series Murdoch Mysteries. It is based in Toronto in this same early 1900s time-period and addresses similar issues of technology, society and politics and also relations between Canada and the US. Sometimes their cases take them on the train into smaller towns. So I had their costumes and the set design of buildings and places in my head for what Mariposa would have looked like and how the people would have interacted.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #34
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No specific places for me ... I think the imagery in my head was vague mashup of real and movie places. But the people felt pretty real to me. Most of them I could picture quite clearly, although I still couldn't tell you where those pictures came from.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #35
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I was raised in a small town in Western Pennsylvania and the characters and atmosphere of Mariposa certainly brought back some memories and feelings.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-21-2020 at 07:20 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #36
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I also kept imagining the set of the CBC TV series Murdoch Mysteries. It is based in Toronto in this same early 1900s time-period and addresses similar issues of technology, society and politics and also relations between Canada and the US. Sometimes their cases take them on the train into smaller towns. So I had their costumes and the set design of buildings and places in my head for what Mariposa would have looked like and how the people would have interacted.
Neat question. I hadn’t consciously thought of it, but I think I was picturing clothing drawn from Murdoch as well. I recently saw a PBS screening of Ken Burn’s film on Mark Twain. I always vocalize when I read, and I heard the Twain voice from the film as the Leacock narrator’s voice. It’s funny how our brain supplements books with images and voices; at least mine does.

Last edited by Victoria; 08-21-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, I think Murdoch for the clothes, etc. (Though I confess it's not one of my regular TV shows.) But for small town? I don't really have anything to go by, except things I've read. I grew up in a big city suburb, and lived most of my life in either a big city or a near suburb of one. It's only in the last 16 years that I've lived in a small (<900 full time residents) town, and it's not something I can compare to. First, it's a tourist town with probably 3 times that full time resident number on any given weekend in the summer. And secondly, we've only been here 16 years. We're incomers. If we'd had school age children we might have gone beyond incomer. But as it is, we know people, but we won't ever experience it as natives do. Plus we have this funny accent.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #38
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Damn city slickers! I grew up on a farm. A small town was something we got dressed up to go visit.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #39
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Damn city slickers! I grew up on a farm. A small town was something we got dressed up to go visit.
I grew up on a tobacco farm. We didn't have a stoplight within ten miles until I was a teenager, and then it was just a flashing red replacing a stop sign. I think that might be why I am particularly sensitive to the way these stories are handled. One grows weary of being viewed as a hick or backwards, or - worst of all - the butt of someone's joke.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #40
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We had town clothes too.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Growing up, we had Sunday School clothes, but nothing special for town. Because we were in the closest Detroit suburb there was. I think my house was 6 short blocks from the Detroit border. But a world away.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Growing up, we had Sunday School clothes, but nothing special for town. Because we were in the closest Detroit suburb there was. I think my house was 6 short blocks from the Detroit border. But a world away.
I've never had to wear any sort of school uniform. That includes Saturday school at the Temple.

One of the problems I see with school uniforms these days is the cost. There are a lot of parents that may no be able to afford such because they are darned expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:56 AM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The cost can be a concern, but there are often bursaries to help. The big advantage to uniforms is that everyone wears the same thing, reducing the level of stigma attached to those who can't afford the latest fad, and putting everyone on a level playing field. Not being able to wear what's "cool", or afford multiple outfits to wear something different every day can be a serious problem for children.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #44
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
The cost can be a concern, but there are often bursaries to help. The big advantage to uniforms is that everyone wears the same thing, reducing the level of stigma attached to those who can't afford the latest fad, and putting everyone on a level playing field. Not being able to wear what's "cool", or afford multiple outfits to wear something different every day can be a serious problem for children.
Agreed, some of the coolest sneakers theses days are astronomical. Plus uniforms can make getting ready in the morning easier.

Tags
canadiana, new leaf book club