Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
turdus
turdus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3+
epub>azw3 math problem on kindle

hi, I have recently purchased an epub format ebook which has mathematical expressions in it and i want to read it on my kindle paperwhite (firmware: 5.10.2).
i used the calibre (3.39.1) to convert it to azw3 and I can read it fine on calibre's viewer. however, when I transfer the azw3 file to kindle (by usb), math expressions appear corrupted.
does anyone have an advice on this?
thanks!
p.s. I tried converting to mobi format too but calibre's viewer did not display math expressions.
turdus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
turdus

Thanks for the indication. I have reported a private bug (#1817071) at the calibre bug tracker. I hope the provided information could suffice.
Cheers!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
If for mathematical expressions was used MathML and not some imagine or svg files: did You try to convert Your epub in kfx? Because that format supports MathML (a subset, as stated in Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines), I don't know if AZW3 does it.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #5
turdus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
If for mathematical expressions was used MathML and not some imagine or svg files: did You try to convert Your epub in kfx? Because that format supports MathML (a subset, as stated in Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines), I don't know if AZW3 does it.
Thanks ps67, upon your suggestion I installed the KFX Output plugin (and the Kindle Previewer as its prerequisite) and tried to convert the epub to KFX but received the following error:

ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert The Book
Conversion error:Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00837: "Unsupported mathml tag found."

So, it seems MathML is involved as you suggested. However, the Calibre viewer displays the AZW3 conversion just fine on the desktop.
Advert
Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdus View Post
So, it seems MathML is involved as you suggested. However, the Calibre viewer displays the AZW3 conversion just fine on the desktop.
The calibre viewer supports MathML. Kindle apps and devices do not, except for a subset of MathML supported only in KFX format.

(Actually even KFX does not really support MathML. Amazon's KFX converter uses an outdated version of MathJax to convert the MathML to SVG. Amazon then converts the SVG image to their proprietary binay-ized KVG format. This KVG image is what gets included in the KFX file.)

Last edited by jhowell; 02-22-2019 at 08:36 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
turdus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The calibre viewer supports MathML. Kindle apps and devices do not, except for a subset of MathML supported only in KFX format.
Thanks jhowell for the information. In this case, I hope the author releases a kindle compatible version too.

p.s. I have deactivated the aforementioned report at the calibre bug tracker.

Last edited by turdus; 02-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.