Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
ebuecherwurm
ebuecherwurm began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Lux
any idea how to revover book

My daughter is (was) writing a small book using the calibre editor, running Windows 10 on a ssd.
After the last save, the file is reported corrupt... (as far as I was told, she saved the file, closed the editor and shut down windows, and the file size was far from taking any time to save)

I already tried 7zip on the epub file and there was only on html file inside - the most recent chapter, no other files except the directory structure (I am not looking at the file right now so no hint here)

I also booted from an usb stick to recover older versions of the file. I could un-delete one epub file with the correct name, but it was even more corrupt (starting with "L^@^@^@^A^T^B" and not the usual Zip indicator "PK")

don't blame her for making no backups, I never told her to do... and I will when she continues to write. right now, [edit:] I made sure the system disk won't be written to [/edit], so no more changes are written to the disk.

Are there any temporary files worth searching for? otherwise, all but one chapter is lost.

Last edited by ebuecherwurm; 01-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.
ebuecherwurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could try something like Recuva ==>> https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva.

I suspect that whatever is preventing the system from booting is what caused your daughters epub to go south - i.e. it was the canary.

Curious : why does your daughter write (code) in XHTML. Most writers prefer to use a word processor. There are many ways to create an EPUB from a word processing format.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
ebuecherwurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You could try something like Recuva ==>> https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva.
Thank you, but I have no troubles to un-delete files - I just have no idea what (type of) file might help me to recover the e-book. I already have un-deleted all "*.epub" files - which was the "even more corrupt" file mentioned above.

Quote:
I suspect that whatever is preventing the system from booting is what caused your daughters epub to go south - i.e. it was the canary.
The system is bootable, everything is fine except that ebook. "the system won't boot" was bad/wrong wording - sorry. I just don't want the system to boot from the disk to prevent writing to the ssd.

Quote:
Curious : why does your daughter write (code) in XHTML. Most writers prefer to use a word processor. There are many ways to create an EPUB from a word processing format.

BR
She wanted to have a file per chapter, and still have an overview over the whole book, she wanted a preview close to an book without having the input split in pages, and she didn't like formatting that "sticks to the words like snot" after editing the text.
When she asked for a book-editor I suggested Calibre and Sigil (*).
She was quite comfortable with the editor, she specially liked to have direct speech in <q>-tags so she could try out different quote-styles affecting the whole book. I thought it a good idea, as she also learned a lot about html/xml and the separation of style and content.

(*) that said I have to ask her if she used Sigil or Calibre editor... Could be the wrong topic here.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
she didn't like formatting that "sticks to the words like snot" after editing the text
Oh, thank you for that, it made my day!

I've helped a few friends get their Word file efforts into epub format. Your phrase is perfect! I will have to rename a certain saved search set "snot-cleaner.n".

I can see using the Calibre editor or Sigil as an authoring tool for someone wanting to directly write an ebook. Personally I have used LibreOffice Writer...with care in using paragraph styles and keeping the ad-hoc formatting to nothing but the odd italics, it works pretty well. But they keep "improving" it so it's darn near as complicated as Word now. I have actually been thinking to do my next writing right in the editor.

She might look at Jutoh...it's a nearly WYSIWYG epub editor, can output all kinds of formats, and does a good job. About $40 CAD last I looked at it.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 01-22-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added thought.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuecherwurm View Post
Thank you, but I have no troubles to un-delete files - I just have no idea what (type of) file might help me to recover the e-book. I already have un-deleted all "*.epub" files - which was the "even more corrupt" file mentioned above.

The system is bootable, everything is fine except that ebook. "the system won't boot" was bad/wrong wording - sorry. I just don't want the system to boot from the disk to prevent writing to the ssd.
EPUB files are zip archives. When they are opened both editors unpack them into subfolders within the users temp folder and repack to original location when saved. A typical epub consists of one or more .xhtml (or .html) files, a content.opf file, one or more .css files, an .jpg (cover) file, a mimetype file, and a container.xml in a META_INF folder.

Quote:
She wanted to have a file per chapter, and still have an overview over the whole book, she wanted a preview close to an book without having the input split in pages, and she didn't like formatting that "sticks to the words like snot" after editing the text.
The xhtml/html files are the content chapters

Quote:
When she asked for a book-editor I suggested Calibre and Sigil (*).
She was quite comfortable with the editor, she specially liked to have direct speech in <q>-tags so she could try out different quote-styles affecting the whole book. I thought it a good idea, as she also learned a lot about ... the separation of style and content.
A vital lesson no matter what the tool.

Quote:
(*) that said I have to ask her if she used Sigil or Calibre editor... Could be the wrong topic here.
In this instance it's probably not relevant, but if you find out its Sigil, let us know and we'll move the thread into its forum. If she was using Sigil you should also ask if she was using Code view or Book view, the latter is unique to Sigil.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@retiredbiker - I find Writer horribly complicated, I used to find its genesis equally so. The ribbon must have been designed with me in mind, for I learnt more about Word in the first month of using version 2007 than I had in the years since first using it on DOS and Xenix

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
ebuecherwurm

Quote:
EPUB files are zip archives. When they are opened both editors unpack them into subfolders within the users temp folder and repack to original location when saved. A typical epub consists of one or more .xhtml (or .html) files, a content.opf file, one or more .css files, an .jpg (cover) file, a mimetype file, and a container.xml in a META_INF folder.
Obvious, but I didn't think of this. I will check for html-files (the other files are of no relevance yet).
Hopefully I can recover those files.
Quote:
In this instance it's probably not relevant, but if you find out its Sigil, let us know and we'll move the thread into its forum. If she was using Sigil you should also ask if she was using Code view or Book view, the latter is unique to Sigil.
It's not Sigil, she used the side-by-side Editor (html left, preview right)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
ebuecherwurm

Quote:
@retiredbiker - I find Writer horribly complicated, I used to find its genesis equally so. The ribbon must have been designed with me in mind, for I learnt more about Word in the first month of using version 2007 than I had in the years since first using it on DOS and Xenix
this is getting off-topic, but I have got to reply. I hate those Ribbons. To reuse your wording, the ribbon must have been designed with "driving me mad" in mind... I'm quite happy with Writer, but most stuff I do in simple Text Editors (no, not vi, that one is worse than ribbons).
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not arguing about the Ribbon (which everyone has an opinion about), but it is possible to easily customize and simplify the ribbon and the Quick Access Toolbar to put just the commands that you want on it. (Capture.jpg)

I've found that sometimes, it works better to just create a special tab associated with a MS Word template (dotx/dotm) (Capture1.jpg)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	169248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	169249  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Obvious, but I didn't think of this. I will check for html-files (the other files are of no relevance yet).
Hopefully I can recover those files.
It's not Sigil, she used the side-by-side Editor (html left, preview right)
FTR only - the layouts of both editors are similar, I think these are close to the defaults:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	169252

The only reason it may have been be relevant is that there are some long-running issues with Sigil's Book View feature. I can't recall details because I don't use Book View. The calibre editor doesn't have an equivalent feature in part because of those issues.

If you don't like vi you might like emacs

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2019 at 11:52 AM.