Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Cootey
Groupie
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE LE, Kindle Paperwhite 7, iPad Air, iPhone Xs
Annotation and syncing

I've posted about this before last year or the year before, and thought it was time to revisit the topic since I'm still frustrated. Maybe some of you have suggestions that will help.

I have only two major complaints with my Kobo experience.

The first is that I find highlighting to be a cumbersome experience on my KA1 (and earlier) devices. Having a game of "find the handle" every time I want to highlight something is made even more frustrating when the highlight mechanism is so inaccurate that it highlights partial words, under and overcompensates, and often misses the sentence I want to highlight entirely. In short, it's a lot of work, especially considering how easy highlighting is on my Kindle Paperwhite.

This leads to my next bugaboo, which is the lack of syncing between Kobo apps and eReaders. Initially, I compensated for my Mini's and KA1's lousy highlighting ability by just opening up the Kobo app on my iPad. It was easier to type notes on the iPad, and highlighting in that app was gloriously easy. I spent weeks highlighting that way until I discovered that my annotations didn't sync back to my Kobo eReader. davidfor and I discussed previously how the sync happens one way, from eReader to app, and only the first time the book is opened on the iOS app. I haven't seen any improvements.

In short, I want to be able to interchangeably highlight and annotate from eReader to app. I can do this seamlessly on my Paperwhite and Kindle app. There was a day when Whispersync wasn't so hot (around 2010), but Amazon fixed it. Kobo hasn't made much progress in years. I annotate a lot. I resent not being able to do it easily with my KA1.

First of all, do any of you have these problems? Secondly, do you have any suggestions? Is there a patch that fixes this? Thanks.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:50 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I've posted about this before last year or the year before, and thought it was time to revisit the topic since I'm still frustrated. Maybe some of you have suggestions that will help.

I have only two major complaints with my Kobo experience.

The first is that I find highlighting to be a cumbersome experience on my KA1 (and earlier) devices. Having a game of "find the handle" every time I want to highlight something is made even more frustrating when the highlight mechanism is so inaccurate that it highlights partial words, under and overcompensates, and often misses the sentence I want to highlight entirely. In short, it's a lot of work, especially considering how easy highlighting is on my Kindle Paperwhite.
Adjusting the highlights using the handles has always been terrible. But, I find the initial highlighting works well on my devices, except maybe the Aura ONE. This means that if I don't get it right the first time, I just tap away and do it again. Most of my annotations are to mark an error, so I'm marking enough to make it easy to find in the editor. The highlighting was drastically improved early last year.

The problem for the Aura ONE is that the calibration of the touch is off. And it isn't consistent across the screen.

For adjusting the highlight, this changed in 4.11 and is a bit broken. It might work better, once you can actually get it going. As of 4.11, using the handles takes two actions. Firstly, they won't move if the menu is displayed. And it seems the best way to get them is to tap and drag a bit, release and do it again. The handles don't move the first time, but they do the second time.
Quote:
This leads to my next bugaboo, which is the lack of syncing between Kobo apps and eReaders. Initially, I compensated for my Mini's and KA1's lousy highlighting ability by just opening up the Kobo app on my iPad. It was easier to type notes on the iPad, and highlighting in that app was gloriously easy. I spent weeks highlighting that way until I discovered that my annotations didn't sync back to my Kobo eReader. davidfor and I discussed previously how the sync happens one way, from eReader to app, and only the first time the book is opened on the iOS app. I haven't seen any improvements.
It's weird, as sometimes it does work. I've been doing a little reading on my Android phone, and occasionally, the annotations (including bookmarks and highlights) will sync to and from it. And I fired up the app on my iPad, and they synced there, an annotation I created there synced to the phone, but not he Aura ONE. And, they aren't syncing to the other devices. That seems fairly new, as it has worked perfectly before. I can see some annotations from a week or so ago that have synced between the Aura ONE and Clara HD. Though, there is another reason that could be happening for me.

I wonder if the sync will happen to the other device or apps if they haven't been opened there? That is the only pattern I can see at the moment.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, highlighting, ios, kobo, syncing