Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #46
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Improved over Paperwhite 6.6" screen.
Some type of buttons although I'm not a fan.
Priced between 180-199.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #47
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I would like to see a new Voyage 2 also. Although they may keep experimenting with the Oasis shape size and battery. Perhaps a version that would look similar to the Voyage. In two versions 6 inch and 7 inch screens. Who knows only time will tell.
I too would love to see the Voyage line updated and kept alive.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I too would love to see the Voyage line updated and kept alive.
The Voyage was released four years ago. In that time Amazon has released a couple new Paperwhite models, a couple Oasis models, and a couple basic Kindle models.

I think it's safe to say the Voyage design has been abandoned.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #49
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Voyage was released four years ago. In that time Amazon has released a couple new Paperwhite models, a couple Oasis models, and a couple basic Kindle models.

They abandoned page turn buttons on kindles for a while, but eventually came out with some models that had them again.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Unfortunately I think you're right. I seem to remember seeing an interview (on YouTube?) were the head Kindle designer seemed to be a bit put off by the fact that people didn't love the non-mechanical buttons on the Voyage. I think they thought that was going to be a huge hit, but it didn't work out that way. Some didn't want page turn buttons at all, but a lot of folks just wanted regular mechanical buttons. The Tolino Vision 2 has the "whatever-it-is-called" non-button home button and I think I would prefer just a regular mechanical button on that one as well. I note the Oases came out with mechanical buttons.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #51
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
They abandoned page turn buttons on kindles for a while, but eventually came out with some models that had them again.
you are misinterpreting the facts, and this is giving you false hope

Amazon released Kindles with page turn buttons in 2011 (the 2012 model was just a 2011 model, but in black). Then, six years later, Amazon released an entirely different Kindle with an entirely different and entirely different page turn buttons.

There's nothing there to suggest Amazon will release another Voyage. Instead, what it suggests is that the best you can hope for is that a future Kindle might have a few details in common with the Voyage.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #52
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Unfortunately I think you're right. I seem to remember seeing an interview (on YouTube?) were the head Kindle designer seemed to be a bit put off by the fact that people didn't love the non-mechanical buttons on the Voyage. I think they thought that was going to be a huge hit, but it didn't work out that way. Some didn't want page turn buttons at all, but a lot of folks just wanted regular mechanical buttons. The Tolino Vision 2 has the "whatever-it-is-called" non-button home button and I think I would prefer just a regular mechanical button on that one as well. I note the Oases came out with mechanical buttons.
I prefer the mechanical ones too, but I would have had a much easier time with the haptic on the Voyage if there was more bezel to hold on to the device while pressing. That has been my issue. They are placed in such a way that it keeps slipping out of my hand because I am trying not to encroach on the screen with my thumb. I have small hands so I need something to hold on to.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I prefer the mechanical ones too, but I would have had a much easier time with the haptic on the Voyage if there was more bezel to hold on to the device while pressing. That has been my issue. They are placed in such a way that it keeps slipping out of my hand because I am trying not to encroach on the screen with my thumb. I have small hands so I need something to hold on to.
The Tolino Vision series used (I'm guessing) haptic buttons. Even with a big bezel at the bottom of these readers, it was enough of a problem that they gave you the option to set a 2 second delay on the button when reading. (Works normally in the Menus.) Of course a Home button and Page Turn buttons are totally different things and this "fix" wouldn't have worked for the Voyage.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #54
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have gotten used to the haptic buttons on my Voyage after setting them to most sensitive. I really love my Voyage. I hope it lasts for a long time. As always, the only thing that ever makes me upgrade is a superior screen.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #55
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I really hope they bring back the Voyage, or at least add the functionality it has to one of their new models... I love the lighting and how it auto adjusts, I also like the haptic buttons, but having them wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If it has to have actual buttons, I'd rather they were integrated into the sides of the device instead of the way the Oasis does it... The thing that really drew me to the Voyage was the flush screen and overall visual quality of the text. Looks like they are running with that for the new Kindles (Paperwhite 4) but maybe are going plastic instead of glass... I guess for durability/drop performance? I haven't used one so I don't know if they feel different to me... I'm also hoping my Voyage lasts a long time - it looks like batteries are available now, so when that dies, I can source a replacement, so that's good!
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #56
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

+1 for side buttons, which would allow even smaller bezel.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I like the page turn buttons on the Kindle keyboard the best. Some complained about accidental presses, but for me they were placed exactly right and had the best feel when clicked. The haptic buttons are useless for me. I like to see and feel where I'm supposed to press.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #58
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I like the page turn buttons on the Kindle keyboard the best. Some complained about accidental presses, but for me they were placed exactly right and had the best feel when clicked. The haptic buttons are useless for me. I like to see and feel where I'm supposed to press.
It would certainly have been nice if the haptic sensors had been backlit.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #59
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage but it's battery is getting weak. I read on it for about 2 hours yesterday, beginning at 100% and ending at 63%. It makes me sad.

I never used the page turn buttons much. Now and then if I didn't have a free hand to swipe with. And I always kept the light thingy turned off. I put it on 12 and left it there and it was just fine for me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #60
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
+1 for side buttons, which would allow even smaller bezel.
I LOVED the side buttons, and I would be very happy if they would bring them back on a 7 or 8" reader with a small bezel and a light.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote