Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
karthikrr
Enthusiast
karthikrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (N250) / Kobo Aura (N514) / Sony PRS 600
Replacement Power Switch for N514

As some of you may know, I recently came into possession of a lovely H2O that had all its woes fixed with a 24 hour battery charge. I love this device and so want to sell my Kobo Aura (1st edition, N514). It works perfectly with the sleep cover, BUT has a broken power switch.

BROKEN. Meaning, I opened it up to fix it and soldered it back in, and it worked fine for a few weeks and then stopped again. So I opened it up again, and this time my cheap Chinese soldering iron burned a hole through the plastic and it can no longer be reattached to the board. I don't mean the red switch, but the actual component! It burned a hole on the side and the little spring inside won't stay put anymore.

I went on aliexpress and found a crazy number of "Slide Switches" available (not sure if I can post links, but just go there and search for slide switch) ... Does anybody here know any more technical details about the switch so I can order the correct one?

Thanks,
Karthik
karthikrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
kobokaput
e-reader reader
kobokaput began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (N514)
Similar problem. Power slider on my N514 no longer does anything.

I can't find a replacement part.

NickelMenu? Not feasible. Can't power on/off, or reboot to get started, since the power slider doesn't work.

One of the magnetic covers that would cause the Aura to sleep/wake has been suggested, but I can't find one for sale anywhere, not even used.
kobokaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokaput View Post
Similar problem. Power slider on my N514 no longer does anything.

I can't find a replacement part.

NickelMenu? Not feasible. Can't power on/off, or reboot to get started, since the power slider doesn't work.

One of the magnetic covers that would cause the Aura to sleep/wake has been suggested, but I can't find one for sale anywhere, not even used.
Many people have converted regular covers to be a sleep cover...I mean, if you are just trying to wake it, a magnet would work, in the right place.

But from what you wrote, I assume your reader is currently off, in which case you need more than a sleep cover to turn it on.

When I plug my ereader in to charge, that causes it to boot up (can't remember if it always boots up, but it certainly does in many situations when I intended for it to stay off ...ie it is off, not sleeping,...and just charge it...), so I would just plug it in to get it turned on initially....then maybe one of the suggestions you mention would work?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
kobokaput
e-reader reader
kobokaput began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (N514)
Aura is currently on. When in sleep mode, it can be awakened by plugging into a PC. I believe it acts as you describe when powered off, that is, plug it into a charger and it starts up.

I don't want to have to plug it into the PC every time I want to wake it from sleep, though. I suppose I could have it power off completely rather than sleep, but that's a hassle because it takes longer to start up from "off" vs. wake from sleep.

I assume the magnet needed to mimic a proper original sleep cover is not very strong - might have some on the refrigerator that will do.

May experiment with NickelMenu despite non-ideal means of turning the Aura on/waking from sleep.

Meanwhile, I got my new Clara HD and it's pretty nice.

Thanks!
kobokaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Over the years many people have made their own sleep covers, so it is totally do-able. For advice, you can search the forum, as many people have discussed the exact magnet they used, how they did it, etc. Some people made it from scratch, others adapted existing covers.

The one thing I remember from discussions I've read here, is it takes a little playing before adding the magnet to get it in the right spot and you don't want too strong or weak a magnet, since a magnet that's too weak won't work once inside the cover (ie covered with the cover's material) and a magnet that's too strong will "work from behind" as well as working when the cover is closed. That is, if you fold the cover behind while reading it, a strong magnet will turn it off then as well. Other than that, it isn't too difficult to do a DIY version.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert