Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD10, Galaxy S9+, Surface Pro 2017
If it's a functional unit, as you say, you might be able to flash it with the firmware from this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969

Note: I have no experience with this or any knowledge about it, but it's worth a try.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
georgiworld
georgiworld began at the beginning.

Device: DX
A few points I'd like to address. When I purchased the dx, it did not have a charge or cable so it was dead.

When I charged it I believe it worked and connected it to my computer, where upon my anti-virus program caught 2 viruses.

I tried installing Doukan on it with no success.

For a billion dollar company to turn its back on someone who bought their device, albeit it from a non-authorized seller, shows just how unconcerned they are with their customers and their corporate image.
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiworld View Post
It is not a fake kindle. It is genuine.

According to you guys, all used purchases are invalid.

Seems the music companies tried that years ago with CDs

How that turn out?
All used purchases of units that are legitimate and under warrenty will be honored. I believe I mentioned people buying broken Kindles on EBay and the having the warrenties honored when they called Amazon. The buyers knew the risk, that they could be buying a broken unit out of warrenty and they would be out the money.

There have been posts regarding people buying a Kindle only to find that it is not working because it has been reported stolen. They, and you, took the risk of buying a used product and got burned. It is not different then buying a used car from a private buyer and the manufacturer not repairing or replacing the car when you find a ton of defects in it.

Buying a used product means that you are accepting the risk of it being defective and you are out the money. In your case, you bought a used Kindle that was not intended for sale and Amazon can do nothing to help you. You should have tried it at the Flea Market or called Amazon before buying it to see if it was a useable unit.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well again, I'm sorry to hear it happened but you pretty much bought a product that you didn't even verify the screen would turn on. You were scammed.

Maybe you can sell it on EBAY as a parts only device - but please make clear to the buyers that that they aren't getting a functional unit.

Then go buy a valid device ... of whatever type you choose if you've decided Amazon is no longer for you.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
A few points I'd like to address. When I purchased the dx, it did not have a charge or cable so it was dead.

When I charged it I believe it worked and connected it to my computer, where upon my anti-virus program caught 2 viruses.

For a billion dollar company to turn its back on someone who bought their device, albeit it from a non-authorized seller, shows just how unconcerned they are with their customers and their corporate image.
You bought a device that would not turn on, that had no charger, for at least $200 under the current sale price (Assuming that the statement over $100 means less then $200 and probably under $289), and you are surprised that it was not a legitimate Kindle (ie it was stolen or a demo model)? Really?

That series of events tells me that it was a scam and that you should not have paid for it. You got burned by a scam artist and you are upset with Amazon for not replacing your very inexpensive, compared to a fully functional DXG, with a replacement DXG?

Be pissed with the scam artist and smack yourself for not recognizing the scam but blaming Amazon for not rewarding his unethical behavior and your falling for a scam is a bit silly.

I am sorry you are out the money. I am sorry that you got burned. I don't think Amazon has done anything wrong here.
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10, Fire HD 10 +,iPhone SE 2020, IPad Mini 5, MacBook Air
ProfCrash
I fully agree with you. This is not Amazons place to right this.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
They should stand behind the product that states Amazon Kindle.
The device makes no mention it is a demo unit.
I offered to pay them for a repair.

If this were an Apple product, I know I would be satisfied.
Hah! You honestly believe that if you bought an Apple product at a flea market that Apple would stand behind it? I just contacted Apple about a cracked iPod screen on a device that is under warranty, and they wanted $89 to repair it! I bought a new screen for $3 and fixed it myself.

Apple will never ever support any product that is not under warranty. On the other hand, Amazon replaced my Kindle 3 months out of warranty. Nothing bought at a flea market is going to get manufacturer support.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Really want to share my disgust with Amazon. I bought unknowingly, a DX Graphite at a fleamarket that turned out not to function. Amazon refused to help because I could not retrieve the serial number.
After SirAlex provided a method to retrieve the correct serial number, Amazon now claimed it was demo model that was not supposed to be sold but was also not reported stolen.

After an hour speaking with tier 2 support and her manager, they said they would not help me.

I hope by posting here, I can inflame readers who are appalled at Amazon's intrusive big brother control over their device and maybe also find someone knows how to put a working fw on this DX?

I'd also like to see if there are others who have been victimized by Amazon's policies.
Isn't it stupid buying something without checking if it's in a working condition in the first place? (able to register) And without getting a receipt, I might add. Because I'm pretty sure you paid more than 10 quids for it. Just saying.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-16-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:

No, you bought an item that no authorized reseller is allowed to sell and if it was sold to you from an authorized reseller, then yes, either the authorized reseller or Amazon would do something about it. But you bought a demo unit from someone unauthorized to sell it and this, no authorized seller is obligated to do anything about it and this includes Amazon. Amazon did not rip you off. The flea market seller did.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Hah! You honestly believe that if you bought an Apple product at a flea market that Apple would stand behind it? I just contacted Apple about a cracked iPod screen on a device that is under warranty, and they wanted $89 to repair it! I bought a new screen for $3 and fixed it myself.

Apple will never ever support any product that is not under warranty. On the other hand, Amazon replaced my Kindle 3 months out of warranty. Nothing bought at a flea market is going to get manufacturer support.
It would probably have to be under an extended warranty from what I have heard about Apple. (in EU, anyway) Replace Apple with X company and his statement is still a joke, really.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
georgiworld
georgiworld began at the beginning.

Device: DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post

Nonsense. At least Apple was willing to fix it even though you cracked the screen.

They have always helped me and as to not having a receipt, Get real!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #27
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Nonsense. At least Apple was willing to fix it even though you cracked the screen.

Who said anything about a receipt? I bought my iPod from Apple, not from a flea market, and it was under warranty. Yes, perhaps a cracked screen is outside their warranty, but $89 bucks for a 3 dollar part that takes minutes to replace? They would not have even spoken to me had I not registered it with them.

The point is that no company is going to replace a demo purchased at a flea market. Get real? It's incredibly naive to buy something that does not demonstrably work from a stranger, and then expect the manufacturer to replace it.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #28
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
From what I've seen of other people amazon goes above what they have to in replacing defective kindles. you just got scammed, get over it
Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
Quote:

Did you buy your Apple product from a flea market?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #30
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
I'd also like to see if there are others who have been victimized by Amazon's policies.
Come on, you were victimized by a disreputable seller at a flea market (what a surprise!) and your own greed (naivete?). Out of curiosity, how much below actual retail price did you spend and didn't that raise some flags? It is unbelievable to me that you're blaming Amazon...grow up, take your lumps and learn from them!
On the bright side, maybe this thread has educated some people to be very careful when buying second hand Kindles. It's doable (I've done it), but be very skeptical of the seller, and if the price is too good to be true... well, you know the rest!
Closed Thread