Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Sony PRS-505 spotted in the wild

I was at the local Fred Meyer today, wondering if they had the 300 or the 600 to look at, but they still had a display and a caseful of 505s. The saleslady didn't even know that the 505 had been discontinued (actually, she didn't know much about ereaders at all - I showed her all about it and now she wants to buy one for her daughter, ha!)

They still had several (silver only) and no word on when they'll be getting the newer models. So if anyone is still looking for the 505, they're still available, at least in little backwater towns like this one.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Fred Meyer probably purchased truck loads of them
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Fred Meyer?

Ereaders is not something I would think of Fred Meyers as selling. Was the price reduced at all?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm feeling clueless because I've never heard of Fred Meyer.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Fred Meyer (or Freddie's as it's known around here) is a locally-originated grocery/general goods chain, although it's now owned by Kroger. If you don't live in the Pacific Northwest, you probably never heard of them.

The price was $259.99.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
They are still available at Amazon U.S. in black and silver starting at $249.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post
They are still available at Amazon U.S. in black and silver starting at $249.
That would be blue and silver. The 505 was never made in black.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Fred Meyer (or Freddie's as it's known around here) is a locally-originated grocery/general goods chain, although it's now owned by Kroger. If you don't live in the Pacific Northwest, you probably never heard of them.

The price was $259.99.

And randomly there are some Freddies in Arizona. But otherwise yeah they are local to the Pacific Northwest.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Sony Style Stores

Also have some 505 inventory. I bought one at the DC store on Sat. My first reader (woo-hoo!)

They're also selling for $260, and if you want to play the credit card game, and buy $25 worth of other merchandise (depending on taxes - you need to break $299), you can get $100 off. Basically meaning that you get a $200 PRS-505 and a (eg) free $25 sony bookstore card.

Be aware that they have multiple credit card offers.
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
sindget41
Fanfic Idiot
sindget41 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, PRS 300, iTouch
My Local Staples still carries the 505 in black for $279.
sindget41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Hmm, There's a Fred Meyer down the road from my work (and another from my home). I'll have to see if they're carrying any - I didn't know that they had carried readers at all.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
The 505 in red and silver are still available at sonystyle.ca (Canada) for $299. I've never heard of them available outside of the sony store or site in Canada. Is the 505 being discontinued?
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminarovich View Post
The 505 in red and silver are still available at sonystyle.ca (Canada) for $299. I've never heard of them available outside of the sony store or site in Canada. Is the 505 being discontinued?
Yes. People will continue selling them for a while... but Sony is not going to be manufacturing them.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would be blue and silver. The 505 was never made in black.
Was the 500 the Ereader that was made in black?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've spotted a few 505s in the wild. Border's has a demo unit of the 505 and 700, (at least they did when I last looked), Fry's had one when I was there last, and when I was at the mall a couple weeks back getting an eye exam there was a vending machine that had blue 505s in it, then I also saw one in a display at the science center a week ago. Really surprised at how many I've seen.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote