Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #16
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
PocketBooks are my favorite eReaders (...) And (because they turn completely off) battery life is very good.
In all honesty I have to say that the Kindle Paperwhite 5 has stratospheric battery life (no other e-reader comes close) and that the battery drain problems I have had with other Kindle devices in the past when not in use do not exist (or are effectively irrelevant) on the PW 5.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
That is an impressive boot time. Thank you for the verification.

I just checked my Clara 2E and it took 26 seconds to boot to the "Books" screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 09:52 AM   #18
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elsewhere (and in another context) I posted a comparison video where you can see the difference in opening speed (and in the video it takes longer to open because it has to run KOReader as well, and as I noted above you can set the book page to appear on the screen immediately as it loads).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=10
Old 11-26-2023, 11:02 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
PocketBooks are my favorite eReaders. Mostly because I like the way they render fonts and format pages. And (because they turn completely off) battery life is very good. You can't make fonts bolder but I get around that by using a font (Constantia) that is about the perfect "boldness" for me. Also PocketBooks are very open with multiple formats and it has ADE built in, which allows you skip ADE on your computer. (I can order books directly on my PocketBook from places like eBooks.com).

I can't speak directly about the large screen PocketBooks however. And, as cellaris mentions, the InkPad X Pro is an Android based PocketBook (not the standard Linux firmware) so it probably works more like the Android app then most of the PocketBook models.
Kobo Libra 2...Good battery life, turns off completely, light turns off completely, renders fonts well, good rendering, excellent eBook management.

If you do not remove the DRM, Pocketbook is better for downloading DRMed eBooks away from the computer, Also, Pocketbook is using the latest version of ADE/RMSDK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #20
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
In this respect PocketBook is an example to emulate.

Of course you can customise the auto-off (between 10 minutes and 48 hours) and disable it if you want. Switching on from the completely off position is very fast (about 5 seconds, if I remember correctly) and you can choose the option to load the last page you were reading while it is switched on (and if you use KOReader you can also open the last book you were reading directly without having to go through the main menu of the device).
Could you please tell how you set up KOReader to open by default on start-up? When I turn my Era off using the settings in your post, it shows me the last page from the default reading app, not KOReader. And I still have to launch KOReader manually from the main menu after turning on the device.

Upd.: Turns out, I forgot to associate file types with KOReader. After that, it opens books by default and loads up KOReader if the option "Open Last Book" is chosen in PB's menu.

Last edited by Xaenor; 11-26-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #21
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Like cellaris said, my Pocketbook HD3 takes around 5-6 seconds to boot to the last page I was reading from being completely powered off.
Does anybody know how long it takes the Touch Lux 5 to boot, especially when there are a lot of books on the external SD card?
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:50 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Elsewhere (and in another context) I posted a comparison video where you can see the difference in opening speed (and in the video it takes longer to open because it has to run KOReader as well, and as I noted above you can set the book page to appear on the screen immediately as it loads).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=10
Can you compare the Kobo to the Pocketbook using RMSDK on both? KOReader is not (IMHO) a good comparison as that doesn't come with either Reader.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:51 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Does anybody know how long it takes the Touch Lux 5 to boot, especially when there are a lot of books on the external SD card?
Readers are not made to be turned off unless you don't plan on reading for a few days at least.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #24
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you compare the Kobo to the Pocketbook using RMSDK on both? KOReader is not (IMHO) a good comparison as that doesn't come with either Reader.
As a comparison, I can do it (although not at the moment). But it doesn't make much sense to me because I don't use the original reading software on either PocketBook or Kobo. I posted the video at the time because of the claim that PocKetBook is very slow using KOReader and I simply wanted people to get an idea of how it works. I've rescued it now because people were talking about the start-up speed and you can see it in the video (although it certainly refers to KOReader, not PocketBook, which is even faster).

If you ask for my personal opinion I'll tell you that I prefer the original Kobo reading software as long as the patches are used. Without patches I prefer PB Reader. But I can tell you that in either case I prefer KOReader and, personally, I like the way it works better in PocketBook (although I know this is heresy).
Old 11-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Readers are not made to be turned off unless you don't plan on reading for a few days at least.
Maybe you could suggest to Kobo to add entry of "5 days" to "automatically power off after:" in settings.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never turned off a single ereader in 12 years. But then the battery life has never been a priority for me with eink devices, as I only read at home.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe you could suggest to Kobo to add entry of "5 days" to "automatically power off after:" in settings.
I liked Sony's power off after 48 hours of no use.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:46 PM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
My apologies. Somehow I read "5" instead of "a few". Still, you better contact Kobo and let them know.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
+1.

I'd much rather lose ~1% battery life per day (on a Kobo) then having to wait for a loooooong* reboot multiple times a day.

*loooooong being relative.
It takes slightly over three seconds for my Basic Lux 3 and my HD 3 to go from turned off completely to reading my book. (That's from the time I first press the button.) So, for me, the cost is well worth it for saving my battery life.

My old PocketBook 615 (Russian version of the original Basic Lux) takes about ten seconds (so that is quite a bit different). I've got magnetic covers for the Basic Lux 3 and HD 3, so if you're just putting the book down for a few minutes, they're instant on, like Kobos or Kindles.

The biggest issue for me is the placement of the on/off switch.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:52 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Can you customize or disable that? This would make a Pocketbook unusable for me.
Yes, you can. You can turn the feature off completely. Or set it to 10, 20, 30 or 60 minutes (on all three of my PocketBooks). I actually didn't know I had that choice because I like it turning off completely after ten minutes.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote