Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
It is time to play where the #$%@ did Apple hide those mouse settings

I purchased a Logitech Pebble M350 mouse for use with my iPad Air 2020. It is a fairly simple BT mouse with left and right buttons, a scrolling wheel for scrolling, and the scrolling wheel can be pressed as a third button. I wanted to set it up. The BT setup was straightforward and fast. Setting the mouse options, well not so much. I had to do a LOT of searching to find the available options, and I’m not certain I’ve found them all.

BTW, the mouse works well with my iPad Air 2020 with one exception; scrolling. Scrolling usually works okay, but it sometimes fails to work. Sometime it is because you click on a link and go to another screen, in which case you need to click the left mouse button inside the screen to regain use of scrolling. Other failures are for no apparent reason.

Here are the mouse settings and locations to find them:

Settings —> Accessibility —> Touch —> AssistiveTouch —>
  • set AssistiveTouch On or Off

Settings —> Accessibility —> Touch —> AssistiveTouch —> Devices —> [your mouse]
  • Customize Additional Buttons
  • set Button 1
  • set Button 2
  • set Button 3

Settings —> General —> Trackpad and Mouse —>
  • set Tracking Speed
  • set Natural Scrolling On or Off
  • set Mouse Secondary Click to Left or Right button

Settings —> Accessibility —> Pointer Control —>
  • set Increase Contrast On or Off
  • set Automatically Hide Pointer On or Off
  • set Color
  • set Pointer Size
  • set Pointer Animations On or Off
  • set Scrolling Speed

ETA: To use a shortcut to quickly enable or disable AssistiveTouch:

Settings —> Accessibility —> Accessibility Shortcuts —>
  • select the AssistiveTouch option. (You can select multiple options.)

Settings —> Control Center —>
  • verify Access Within Apps is set to On
  • under More Controls, tap the + symbol beside Accessibility Shortcuts to move it to Included Controls

Last edited by OtinG; 03-20-2021 at 07:54 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Nice to have this laid out, but I don’t have any issues with the default settings for Magic Mouse. It took me awhile to figure out how the gestures worked. I slightly prefer using Magic Trackpad because of the 4 finger gestures available on that.

The one issue I have is with long press on a hyperlink, which is supposed to bring up context menu. On Firefox, it doesn’t work unless I do it with my finger first, after which it works for that web page. Safari seems okay. I cannot remember if this was the case with the trackpad.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Nice to have this laid out, but I don’t have any issues with the default settings for Magic Mouse. It took me awhile to figure out how the gestures worked. I slightly prefer using Magic Trackpad because of the 4 finger gestures available on that.

The one issue I have is with long press on a hyperlink, which is supposed to bring up context menu. On Firefox, it doesn’t work unless I do it with my finger first, after which it works for that web page. Safari seems okay. I cannot remember if this was the case with the trackpad.
I don’t have the Apple Magic Mouse, mostly because I think it would be too difficult to work with my severe arthritis.

I agree a trackpad is probably the best solution for me. I’m not a trackpad person, and I’ve always used a mouse with my Win laptops and my MacBook Pro. However, last night I watched an in depth review and demonstration of the Logitech Folio Touch iPad Keyboard Case with Trackpad and Smart Connector for iPad Air (4th Generation), and wow the trackpad offers a huge amount of options not available with a mouse. Trackpads will use the same setting locations.

I want the Apple Magic case, but there are two killer issues with it. One is price, and the other is that it can’t fold the keyboard backwords to use the iPad Air 2020 in tablet mode. I use my iPad Air 2020 mostly in tablet mode, so that is a deal killer for me. I was about ready to go with the Apple Smart Folio Keyboard case until I saw what the Logitech keyboard could do with the trackpad. So now I’m leaning toward the Logitech keyboard. No 3rd party vendor other than Logitech is allowed to use Apple’s Smart Connector on the back of the iPad.

Oh well I’ve got plenty of time to decide while I wait for my $190 Apple Gift Card for trading in my old iPad Pro 9.7. The Apple Stores in my area are not allowing people to bring in trade-ins due to the pandemic, so I had to mail it off to their trade-in partner called Phobio. It will likely take at least another week to get the gift card, and it has already taken one week since I initiated the trade.

Last edited by OtinG; 03-19-2021 at 09:12 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote