Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
geza
geza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Some mobi files won't sync furthest page

Is there any "trick" to convert epub (or any other type) to mobi, so Kindle/Kindle app would sync reading progress?

I use Calibre to convert any files to mobi (mostly with basic/default settings). Then send them to my Amazon account, so I can read on my devices, Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone and a Chromebook. So far it's good... but some books don't want to sync at all.

My last book wasn't syncing at all. It was converted with Calibre. Then I used one of the online site to convert the original epub file to mobi. To my surprise, it worked, now this book syncs perfectly between devices.

The problem with these online sites, that there no (or very very basic) editing options. I always thought Calibre must be much better/advanced. Is there something I might miss with Calibre? Some tricky settings when converting books?
geza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
The easiest way to have your non-amazon books sync is to send them to the Kindle cloud. You can either email them, or use the Send to Kindle app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...2728262&sr=1-1

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
You could try KindleGen. It is a command line converter from Amazon that does a pretty good job converting files into mobi files with both the old style mobi format and newerish KF8 format in the same file. You could then email them or use the Send to Kindle app which works pretty well.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
The easiest way to have your non-amazon books sync is to send them to the Kindle cloud. You can either email them, or use the Send to Kindle app.

Shari
Shari, you are of course correct, but this is precisely what the OP states that they ARE doing!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Shari, you are of course correct, but this is precisely what the OP states that they ARE doing!
Which is very odd, because I've never had a book from the Kindle cloud not sync to all of my devices that I wanted to read on.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Which is very odd, because I've never had a book from the Kindle cloud not sync to all of my devices that I wanted to read on.

Shari
People have been experiencing many different amazon e-book server related problems over the past year, maybe this is just another one.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
geza

Quote:

Shari
Thanks, I do know this. I use this service all the time. My problem is that not all of my side-loaded books are "compatible" with it.

I had some old books converted with Calibre into mobi format, then sent to my Kindle using the Personal Documents thing... Unfortunately while all of them works perfectly as a book, some doesn't want to sync using Amazon's Whispersync service.

Oddly, if I use a online service to convert my files to mobi, they are all work with Amazon's Whispersync.

So I'm almost 100% sure that Calibre has something to do with this. But the software has so many hidden tweaks, plug-ins, etc... that I have no idea if I just miss something?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
geza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
You could try KindleGen. It is a command line converter from Amazon that does a pretty good job converting files into mobi files with both the old style mobi format and newerish KF8 format in the same file. You could then email them or use the Send to Kindle app which works pretty well.
I've tried the new KF8 with Calibre. Amazon didn't even accepted the files, they emailed back that my mail didn't contain a valid document... So I stuck with the old mobi format, which I wouldn't mind.

This is for mostly for some older books, and I don't care if I don't have all that fancy X-ray and whatever functions. In fact I always turn off everything except Whispersync. I just want to read, no page curl, no magazines or whatever, no comics, no pdfs, no notes, no sharing or other social craziness. :-) I'm just an (almost) old guy, who likes to read. But I have three different devices I read depending on my daily routine, and I really need/like Whispersync.

Since I use Calibre for organising, filling out missing info, etc, I wanted to skip another step like converting books in a web browser... That is why I'm looking for help. If there is no help, I can still use the web service, it is just a bit of shame that a super app like Calibre can't do the (all the) job. Most of the files are ok even with Calibre, but is extremely annoying to find out when you are already reading a book that they don't Whispersync. Then I have to convert my original file on the web again, upload it, delete the old ones from all the devices and from the Amazon cloud... :-(
Old 11-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's correct - you can't send a KF8 file to your Cloud library, although you can send a "dual" Mobi file - one that contains both Mobi7 and KF8 components.

It's perhaps worth noting that virtually all the web-based file conversion services use Calibre behind the scenes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
geza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's correct - you can't send a KF8 file to your Cloud library, although you can send a "dual" Mobi file - one that contains both Mobi7 and KF8 components.

It's perhaps worth noting that virtually all the web-based file conversion services use Calibre behind the scenes.
I didn't know that they use Calibre. But then why can't my local Calibre to the same job? I have tested three files which didn't want to Whispersync. Everytime I used Calibre, they didn't sync but when I used

https://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi

the converted files were all Whispersync.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
You may have sent multiple copies of the same book to Amazon during your testing. And so your 3 devices are not always working on the same book or document.
It may be worth deleting all copies of the problem titles from clouds and devices then resending a new calibre conversion once you are sure that all previous ones have been removed.
AFAIK the cloud does not try to manage or overwrite duplicates. Each item you send is added to the cloud collection, as if it is a new book, even when it is not.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
geza

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
You may have sent multiple copies of the same book to Amazon during your testing. And so your 3 devices are not always working on the same book or document.
It may be worth deleting all copies of the problem titles from clouds and devices then resending a new calibre conversion once you are sure that all previous ones have been removed.
AFAIK the cloud does not try to manage or overwrite duplicates. Each item you send is added to the cloud collection, as if it is a new book, even when it is not.
I had the same worry, so I was careful to delete the previous versions, I even changed the newly converted ones' title just in case.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
you have to go to amazon web site and delete the cloud copies from there, and make certain they have really gone.
I once ending up with lots of duplicates simply be sending book a to device A i.e. to the device 's kindle address. then sending it again to device B's kindle address. thinking that was the correct procedure. then repeating that for book B, book C....
when you say they don't sync, what actually happens ? does the book open at page 1 on 2nd device , or on some previously read "last" page from an earlier reading session
i assume you have checked that every device has wifi and whispersync enabled
PS amazon help says this:
Whispersync is supported in these content categories:

Books from the Kindle Store
Personal documents that are converted to Kindle format
Newspapers and magazines from the Kindle Store
Audiobooks from Audible.com
Prime Video
Apps and games from Amazon Appstore

so you need to comply with line 2 above, which may mean you have o get into the subtleties and options of a PDOC setting within calibre - that could be the difference between your calibre copy and the ones that work online.

Last edited by stumped; 11-20-2018 at 02:06 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
geza

Quote:
you have to go to amazon web site and delete the cloud copies from there, and make certain they have really gone.
I once ending up with lots of duplicates simply be sending book a to device A i.e. to the device 's kindle address. then sending it again to device B's kindle address. thinking that was the correct procedure. then repeating that for book B, book C....
I only ever send one copy to my Kindle, then just download the books on my Android devices from the cloud. So there are no duplicates.

Quote:
when you say they don't sync, what actually happens ? does the book open at page 1 on 2nd device , or on some previously read "last" page from an earlier reading session
i assume you have checked that every device has wifi and whispersync enabled
Say, I read the first chapter on my Kindle, later when I want to continue it on my phone it will not ask me to go to the furthest reading location. While with most books they work perfectly, so you can see that whispersync itself working ok with all of my devices. It is only happening with a few books, only with side-loaded ones. But at the same time many side-loaded one working just fine, and I converted them in the exact same way.

Quote:
so you need to comply with line 2 above, which may mean you have o get into the subtleties and options of a PDOC setting within calibre - that could be the difference between your calibre copy and the ones that work online.
Do you know more about "PDOC setting within calibre"?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You can rename the epub from name.epub to name.zip or name.png and email it to Amazon and Amazon will convert it for you. See this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288964 but read it carefully. Some posters (including OP were quite confused).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote