Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 10.53%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 8 8.42%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 5.26%
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens 11 11.58%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 17 17.89%
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas 10 10.53%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 12 12.63%
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 16 16.84%
Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain 5 5.26%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
...or soliciting votes via PM
I have never ever solicited a single vote via PM. It's all been done in public.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #92
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Hey, I didn't name names.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Hey, I didn't name names.
I know.. But I'm just saying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:26 AM   #94
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Alas, of all the books in the selection, there are only four that I have no interest in reading (not a personal slur against them, just a subjective preference at the moment), and two of them are in the lead.

Well, I still might read A Room With A View, and finish what I started.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #95
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The poll is closed.. your winner is:

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Now.. go forth and read...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #96
sara4
sara4 began at the beginning.

Device: cruz ereader
woman in white

As soon as I saw what it was I downloaded the book and in 4 nights of 2 hour spates, I had it read. I was fascinated. Some one told me that he was the first modern writer of mysteries and for sure, I thought that it was very good. Except, for the trouble I had with my reader, I enjoyed the book immensley(sp). I have another in paper back which I am now going to try to get in ebook, The Moonstone. Happy December to you'll, Syd
sara4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #97
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara4 View Post
I have another in paper back which I am now going to try to get in ebook, The Moonstone. Happy December to you'll, Syd
It is available right here on MobileRead as ePub-version.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #98
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Finished Scalzi's third book, The Lost Colony.

I've now started Woman in White. I've just read a few chapters. I like what I've read so far!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #99
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Dang. Walden and The Brothers Karamozov are pretty much as good as it gets.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #100
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Is anybody else having a hard go w/this month's selection? I am half way through and the only thing keeping me going is the plot itself. (And Bob's admonishment to give a serious effort to exploring new territory.)

I am especially weary of the repeated, lengthy, tedious descriptions of the characters, none of whom I find very sympathetic.

Just curious.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #101
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Is anybody else having a hard go w/this month's selection?
I'm enjoying it. I don't want to say more lest somebody cry "Spoiler", but I'm not having any problems finding motivation to pick it up and keep on. Finding TIME is another matter.

Note to self: ALWAYS put 1) your cell phone 2) your reading device(s) in your purse before leaving on an excursion, however short you expect it to be. Found myself stranded at a gas station for TWO HOURS today on what should have been a half hour jaunt there-and-back to pick up Kid 2 from daycare. What I would have given to have my phone to give to Kid 1 (not to mention call AAA without borrowing the station's phone) and my Kindle to read quietly for a bit.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #102
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Book club sounds like fun.

I enjoyed The Moonstone many years ago and now have that and The Woman in White downloaded.

I probably won't get to it this month - but that's OK.

I'll see what comes up for the club in January.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #103
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Caleb, I'm never on time with the Book Club selections.

Don't be concerned with adding your comments to the discussion thread a little later than most. If you do, the conversation will pick up again, in my experience.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #104
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Jon, if you read the MR version, it has a lot of pretty pictures, so it really isn't that long.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #105
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I actually read this book on my own in November. Collins writes a lot like Dickens - very wordy descriptions. Dickens was paid by the word originally; possibly so was Collins!

I just watched the masterpiece theater production last night from Netflix. It was good, but b/c of length a lot of the plot was changed - definitely don't watch it before you finish the book. The host said that Dickens challenged Collins to a contest - they'd each write a serial novel - Dickens wrote Tale of Two Cities; this was Collins' effort.

The beginning of the book does move pretty slowly but don't give up; even the early part about the Frenchman is important much later. The time Walter spends at Limerich is a little more interesting but it's still only a prelude to the real story! I listened to it as an audiobook (my e-reader is wrapped under the Christmas tree waiting for me!) and I couldn't tell how much longer the book was, and kept thinking I was almost to the end, and there was a whole lot more. I enjoyed the book immensely.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote