Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Cannot connect as "Wireless Device"

After the last software update I can no longer connect as a Wireless Device. I receive the following error message: "There was an unrecognized error during the connection process. Please try again."

• I can connect to the Content Server.

When I select "as Wireless Device"
• It acts like it is connecting to Calibre
• Calibre recognizes the device and it starts the sync process
• After about 45 to 60 seconds the error message "There was an unrecognized error during the connection process. Please try again." pops up on my ebook reader (Nook). A few minutes later Calibre reports the error.

Is there a way to find out what is happening?
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
If you read this thread, post 9 might help solve your current error.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezme View Post
Is there a way to find out what is happening?
The best way for us to find out what is happening is to send us the debug logs as described in the FAQ entry How do I get help?

However, if you don't have a lot of books on the device (thousands) then DoctorOhh's suggestion (in effect, reinstall CC) might save you time. We have diagnosed one case where bad info in CC's database triggers a problem when connecting as a wireless device. How that bad info got into the database is a total mystery. The problem that jstabe reported seems like the same problem, but without the debug logs we don't know. Your problem also seems similar.

My preference would be that if you are going to reset your database like jstabe did, you send me the debug logs first so I can verify that you are having the same problem as the one case we have seen. However, I understand that doing so would take time you might not want to spend.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been chasing the possible reasons for "bad info" getting into CC's database. Still haven't found a smoking gun, but I have found a place that could cause the problem as a secondary effect. If I am right, then running the "Books with missing files" process (in CC's settings menu) will (probably) find the problematic books. You would note which books are listed, delete the books, then download them again.

@mezme: could you run that process and let us know what happens?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation, Lenovo c330 Chromebook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I have been chasing the possible reasons for "bad info" getting into CC's database. Still haven't found a smoking gun, but I have found a place that could cause the problem as a secondary effect. If I am right, then running the "Books with missing files" process (in CC's settings menu) will (probably) find the problematic books. You would note which books are listed, delete the books, then download them again.

@mezme: could you run that process and let us know what happens?
I was just going to post the same problem with wireless connection & I did as you suggested and checked for missing books & found one book, not sure what one because it just said Error for book title.
Deleted & back in business.

Mark
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
I have about 6000 books so I would hate to reinstall - although I'm perfectly willing to do so if that will clear this up.

I've run the "Books with missing files". It produced only the response "error". I selected Delete All just to see what happened. It said it deleted one erroneous error.

I then tried to connect to a wireless device. It appears to have worked. I did, however, email a log from CC so that you can see what was going on.
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
I was just going to post the same problem with wireless connection & I did as you suggested and checked for missing books & found one book, not sure what one because it just said Error for book title.
Deleted & back in business.

Mark
Thanks for letting me know. Were you using the cover view when you ran check for missing books?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezme View Post
I have about 6000 books so I would hate to reinstall - although I'm perfectly willing to do so if that will clear this up.

I've run the "Books with missing files". It produced only the response "error". I selected Delete All just to see what happened. It said it deleted one erroneous error.

I then tried to connect to a wireless device. It appears to have worked. I did, however, email a log from CC so that you can see what was going on.
It does help, because it verified that the cause your problem is the same as the others we have seen. In addition, my guess is that you were using the list view when you ran check for missing books, which would be why you saw the error. Deleting the one book (that you couldn't see) fixed that as well.

Explanation, or at least as much of one that I can give: somehow the metadata for one book in CC's library was corrupted. I don't know how that could have happened, but clearly it did. When V3.3.1 was installed, the "database upgrade" rebuilt CC's database for every book from that book's metadata. Because that one book had corrupted metadata, the rebuild failed (silently) for that book. Later processing also failed because we never expected something like this to happen.

Fortunately I know how to fix CC so that it can tolerate the corrupted data both when connecting as a wireless device and when running check for missing books. I will do that and make a new CC release this weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and for your help in finding this problem.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation, Lenovo c330 Chromebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks for letting me know. Were you using the cover view when you ran check for missing books?
It does help, because it verified that the cause your problem is the same as the others we have seen. In addition, my guess is that you were using the list view when you ran check for missing books, which would be why you saw the error. Deleting the one book (that you couldn't see) fixed that as well.

Explanation, or at least as much of one that I can give: somehow the metadata for one book in CC's library was corrupted. I don't know how that could have happened, but clearly it did. When V3.3.1 was installed, the "database upgrade" rebuilt CC's database for every book from that book's metadata. Because that one book had corrupted metadata, the rebuild failed (silently) for that book. Later processing also failed because we never expected something like this to happen.

Fortunately I know how to fix CC so that it can tolerate the corrupted data both when connecting as a wireless device and when running check for missing books. I will do that and make a new CC release this weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and for your help in finding this problem.
I was using list view.
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

CC V3.3.2, released today, fixes the failure to connect as a wireless device.