Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2020, 04:24 AM   #1
DonPedro
DonPedro began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX
Android reader for a senior

Hi!
I am looking for a Christmas present for my Grandma. Is there an app for Android devices that allows for a comfortable ebook reading? Or a phone (again Android OS) with an ebook reader function that would be suitable for a senior? Grams refuses to have two devices, she said it took her long enough to get handy with a cellphone and she doesn't want to waste time to learn a new device. That is why I thought about a possibility of compiling the two in one. Big screen would be a must. Is there such a device, preferable on Amazon so I could buy it and be sure it is shipped before Christmas. Thank you!
DonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
On Android phones I am very happy with a free ebook reader called Lithium. It is so good I no longer use any other programs on the phone. I also decline buying a dedicated ebook reader. On my linux computer I prefer using the reader of calibre. These are the two best options for me. Best regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Us old timers can have a harder time reading small text on a small screen. For myself I can't imagine reading a book on my phone. Any Android phone should be able to run the various ebook reading apps available on the Play store. Samsung Android phones are always highly rated. If you want to be her favorite grandson you could get her the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, only US$ 1,000.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My mother using an eInk Reader and she did very well with it.

A lot of Reading apps for Android are not all that good. I cannot say which ones for ePub are good.

But I would buy a large screen eInk Reader as a gift. The problem is that a phone that may be large enough it too expensive. A Kobo Forma is a less expensive then a large screen Android phone.

The problem is that if your gran needs large text, the phone is not a good idea. The eInk Reader is a good idea.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Look at phone specifications for the screen PPI, knowing the device will be used for reading on. See if you can get something with at least 250-300 ppi.

Motorola has some 6" screen models that might work.

6.2" screen - Moto E
6.4" screen - Moto G Power

Moto E unlocked:
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Unlocked...dp/B086H3HH5V/

PPI calculator
https://www.sven.de/dpi/

I second Lithium for an android ereader APP - but it only reads epub format, and drm-free ones, I think.

The major stores all have their own apps. For public library use, the library's service providers (Overdrive or Libby, Hoopla, etc.) have their own apps.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read a lot on my phone using Moon+ reader. It'll read either epub or mobi files as long as there isn't any DRM. If she buys her books from Amazon she could try the Kindle app. It's pretty good.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's a good point that barryem raises about books with DRM. What would she do for library books? I've never checked but Overdrive probably has an app. You might want to call her library and see what they say.

If you live nearby you could sit with her and show her how to use an ereader. She's probably thinking that an ereader will be as complicated as her phone. Your Boox would probably be too geeky and scare her off. But a Kindle is dead simple and Amazon has the ebook market pretty much cornered (I have a Kobo and buy all my books from Amazon and use Calibre to remove the DRM and convert them to epub).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
That's a good point that barryem raises about books with DRM. What would she do for library books? I've never checked but Overdrive probably has an app. You might want to call her library and see what they say.

If you live nearby you could sit with her and show her how to use an ereader. She's probably thinking that an ereader will be as complicated as her phone. Your Boox would probably be too geeky and scare her off. But a Kindle is dead simple and Amazon has the ebook market pretty much cornered (I have a Kobo and buy all my books from Amazon and use Calibre to remove the DRM and convert them to epub).
I disagree about getting a Kindle. Kobo is very easy to use. I would suggest a Kobo. Not only is the firmware better then Kindle, Kobo is less expensive. The Kobo Forma with 8" screen and plastic backed screen is $20 less then a heavier Kindle Oasis with a 7" screen. The 8" screen is better for reading with a larger font size.

With a phone, the screen is 16:9 and small. To read with a larger font is not going to be a good reading experience. That's why Readers are 4:3.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-02-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Kindle and a Kobo and I prefer the Kindle. Neither is easier to use than the other. It's simply a matter of personal preference. They're both excellent devices.

If you really want an android device, though, I'd consider a tablet. I personally read on my phone a lot but my eyesight is pretty good for my age. I just turned 80.

A good choice of tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8". Or, if you want to save some money, an 8" Fire tablet. Either one can be used with ebooks from any source. Or, if her eyesight is okay, she might try her smartphone.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@DonPedro, you say that a big screen is a must. That means phones are out. The screens are not big enough. That's why I suggested a Kobo Forma. The Kobo Libra H2O could also be OK. You just need to know how large the text needs to be and then decide which one to get. As for Kindle, the Kobo is a better Reader because the firmware is better and there is no Kindle with an 8" screen.

I suggest you talk to your Gran about a Reader since a phone is too small. And the largest screen phones are going to be too expensive vs a Kobo (which is cheaper then a Kindle).