Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Running KindleForPC on Linux under WINE (wrapped by PlayOnLinux) I did the following:

Code:
$ cd ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/kindle_1.17/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon/Kindle

$ chmod 000 renderer-test.exe  (was previously mode 755)

$ cd ..

$ chmod 555 Kindle  (was previously mode 755)
Note: The "kindle_1.17" you see in the pathname right after "wineprefix" above is what I chose to call my PlayOnLinux installation. That part of your path may be different, depending on what you named your installation.

I then started KindleForPC a couple of times and verified that it always remained at the currently installed version 1.17. It did. And I never got any messages about "update available" either.

Next, I opened KindleForPC again, picked a random book from the display of titles (that was not currently downloaded), right-clicked on it and chose "download". Then I verified that the download successfully showed up in my "My Kindle Content" directory. It did. This is the only functionality I need from KindleForPC.

I actually don't use KindleForPC anymore. A few years ago I switched over to using the "Download for USB Transfer" method instead. But it was good for me to review usage of KindleForPC, and keep my installation "up to date" using the strategies described here to keep it from updating itself.

I run nightly backups on all of my family's computers, and keep each individual daily backup for 365 days. So if KindleForPC does manage to update on me, I have one year to notice, and restore from backup. After that, I guess I'd have to reinstall and re-register the program from scratch. Amazon may, and probably will at some point, make re-registering a no-go. So my preferred method of getting things back on track after an unexpected update would be to restore from backup. But Amazon could thwart that as well, if they tried hard enough.
I thought for version 1.17.x you didn't have a render check exe?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
With 1.17 you do have render-test.exe. I've renamed it to render-test.exe.bak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #48
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It was there in my installation of 1.17. If it's even used, or what it's used for ... I don't know. I have "read on the internet" that it is not used in 1.17.

I did a "chmod 000" on it anyway. That may not help anything, but it appears that it doesn't hurt anything either.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
It was there in my installation of 1.17. If it's even used, or what it's used for ... I don't know. I have "read on the internet" that it is not used in 1.17.

I did a "chmod 000" on it anyway. That may not help anything, but it appears that it doesn't hurt anything either.
It's not used for KFX, that's certain. I've never bothered to rename it and have never even gotten a glimpse of KFX.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #50
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's not used for KFX, that's certain. I've never bothered to rename it and have never even gotten a glimpse of KFX.
The renderer for KFX was added to Kindle for PC in version 1.19 so 1.17 is safe from KFX.

The actual purpose of renderer_test is to check if the PC's graphics are capable of supporting KFX. One possibility for it being present in 1.17 is that Amazon was doing some testing in advance of the deployment of KFX to determine the graphics capabilities of user's PCs.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #51
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
You might want to check the Public user folder or the ProgramData folder.

Thanks.

Have checked everywhere on my PC where there is anything Kindle for PC or just Kindle related and no sign of any "Updates" folder. Leaving my K for PC closed and will continue using the Download to USB option which is still delivering AZW/Mobi files that I can then move to Calibre for use and/or further modification.

Last edited by p38lightning; 10-29-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added info
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #52
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Happened to me too! I deleted & downloaded 1.17 Now Calibre refuses to remove the DMR! I use it so I can convert & Transfer to my Kobo Clara. This is crap!

I dont understand how a AWZ file suddenly becomes KFX file... & Alf Cant convert it.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-29-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #53
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I'm still running 1.17 and was just in time to get rid of a downloaded update that I hadn't known about before it mucked anything up. After, I ran the batch file to disable updates -- and yes, my Kindle4PC has the "download & install updates without asking" ticky box unchecked since I don't want it doing that. So far it seems to be okay but now every time I open the program it nags me about a new version ready to download and I have to keep telling it to skip that nonsense. Anybody else have that issue? Running Windows 7 Pro if that matters.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #54
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
So far it seems to be okay but now every time I open the program it nags me about a new version ready to download and I have to keep telling it to skip that nonsense. Anybody else have that issue?
Yes, unfortunately Kindle for PC will still detect that there is an update available and ask that question, but even if you agree to the update it won't work.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #55
TxHawkeye
TxHawkeye doesn't litterTxHawkeye doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, unfortunately Kindle for PC will still detect that there is an update available and ask that question, but even if you agree to the update it won't work.
I've been experimenting with K4PC 1.21 and 1.24 on Windows 10 in a virtual machine. There are 3 registry entries in the "HKCU\Software\Amazon\Kindle\User settings" key which, if deleted, appear to stop the "Software Update Available" popup.

The registry entries are updateDownloadDescription, updateDownloadUrl, and updateDownloadVersion. These entries contain a description of the 1.30 update, the URL from which it will be downloaded and the 1.30 build number, respectively.

Deleting any one of these seems to stop the popup on 1.21 and 1.24 (the only versions I have for testing). I've elected to delete all three.

I've been running without popups for several days on my 'live' Windows 10 machine with 1.24 installed and the three registry entries deleted.

It's certainly possible these entries may be repopulated given Amazon's aggressive push to update everyone to the latest version. So it may be necessary delete them again if the popups resume.

I welcome others who are confident in making registry changes to see if this also works for them.
TxHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #56
SpiritualMadMan
SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Are you sure? What version were you running before?

Kindle for PC version 1.15.0 was released in 2016. The latest version is 1.30.0.

You may want to check out this thread.
I wondered about that, too. It decidedly downloaded something, and installed something, or at least tried to, all without asking anything at all.

Perhaps something in my Win 10 settings foiled it? (Like needing Administrator Rights?)

I honestly am not sure what version was there before. I thought it was 1.14

I'm finishing the Steel Dragon Series, then I will get another book.

(I really wish they'd left the language out, though.)
SpiritualMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #57
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Happened to me too! I deleted & downloaded 1.17 Now Calibre refuses to remove the DMR! I use it so I can convert & Transfer to my Kobo Clara. This is crap!

I dont understand how a AWZ file suddenly becomes KFX file... & Alf Cant convert it.
An AZW file can be any Amazon format...KFX, MOBI, AZW3, etc. If you successfully revert to version 1.17 and get it to stick, you won't have to worry about KFX format.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #58
julesy
hedgehogs love to read
julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Kobo H2O, Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

An AZW file can be any Amazon format...KFX, MOBI, AZW3, etc. If you successfully revert to version 1.17 and get it to stick, you won't have to worry about KFX format.
Also, after restoring 1.17 and before running Calibre, delete the KFX book folder from your Kindle folders. Then re-download the book. You can then run Calibre on the book. Make sure all your plugins are updated. I had no issues running Calibre after restoring 1.17 and re-downloading the kindle book.
julesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #59
remmons
remmons began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus
My procedure

Quote:
Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "updates" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update each time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.

------

Update: Oops, I accidentally used the wrong folder in the first version of the batch file. I apologize to anyone who downloaded this previously.

The current version of the batch will fix the broken folder created by the previous version, but you will need to re-register Kindle for PC afterwards. Sorry!

Thanks. That worked for me. I had to do several things:

* Install Kindle for PC version 1.24.3 or less. DO NOT UPDATE
* Disable automatic updates for Kindle. DO NOT UPDATE.
* Create empty text file [KindleDirectory]\update (no extension)
* Delete or rename file [KindleDirectory]\application\render-test.exe
* Install Calibre 4.23 or less. DO NOT UPDATE to version 5.
* Install Apprentice Alf's DRM plugin from https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

Apprentice Alf's DRM plugin is not currently compatible with Calibre version 5

I wonder how long we will be able to get away with not updating Kindle for PC v1.24.3? Amazon is already trying to force you to update.

**What will we do when Amazon stopps supporting Kindle for PC v1.24.3? Any ideas?**

I think that covers it.

Last edited by remmons; 10-30-2020 at 07:39 PM.
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #60
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Are we certain there won't be anything further from Harper/Alf?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, update