Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #46
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
V0.3.1 released

Hi folks,

Version 0.3.1 has been released. The batch file has been fixed, and I've now notified that the script should be called using
Code:
fontforge -script KoboifyFonts-0.3.1.py [OPTIONS]
instead of calling ffpython directly.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:22 AM   #47
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I wasn't aware of this usage. Works with OS X too. But you still need the CLI version.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #48
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I wasn't aware of this usage. Works with OS X too. But you still need the CLI version.
I didn't know about it at first either.

Makes things a bit simpler, especially on linux.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This program removes hints when that is not always a good idea. The problem is not with hinting, but rather incorrect hinting. Could this program be modified to run ttfautohint and put in correct hinting in TTF fonts. This would give a possibly better looking font on screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #50
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This program removes hints when that is not always a good idea. The problem is not with hinting, but rather incorrect hinting. Could this program be modified to run ttfautohint and put in correct hinting in TTF fonts. This would give a possibly better looking font on screen.
The script allows the user to choose whether or not they wish to remove hinting, or keep the original. (At least, it should.)

Autohinting may be a feature included in a future version.
Advert
Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
The script allows the user to choose whether or not they wish to remove hinting, or keep the original. (At least, it should.)

Autohinting may be a feature included in a future version.
The problem is you won't know if the hinting is bad or not if there is hinting. So using ttfautohint to replace the hinting would solve the possible hinting problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #52
sherman
Guru

Quote:
The problem is you won't know if the hinting is bad or not if there is hinting. So using ttfautohint to replace the hinting would solve the possible hinting problem.
As I said, I may visit this in the future. If a person discovers an issue with the hinting, there is nothing stopping them from regenerating fonts if they have hinting issues.

Also, it is also conceivable (although unlikely) that a font is designed for e-ink screens, in which case you may not want to be messing with stuff like hinting.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
As I said, I may visit this in the future. If a person discovers an issue with the hinting, there is nothing stopping them from regenerating fonts if they have hinting issues.

Also, it is also conceivable (although unlikely) that a font is designed for e-ink screens, in which case you may not want to be messing with stuff like hinting.
Most fonts are not designed for eInk screens. It's not messing with hinting. It's putting in proper hinting because some hinting is not correct and either needs to be removed or replaced. I do think Charis SIL looks better properly hinted than without hinting. This is on my H2O.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #54
sherman
Guru

Jon,

You will be happy to know that I have added autohinting as an option in my upcoming successor to this script.

I will not be implementing any new features in this script however, including autohinting.

Now, can we put this issue to bed please?

Thank you.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon,

You will be happy to know that I have added autohinting as an option in my upcoming successor to this script.

I will not be implementing any new features in this script however, including autohinting.

Now, can we put this issue to bed please?

Thank you.
What's new in the upcoming successor? I had a thought that can go to the successor. If the original font is OTF, give an options to to save as TTF since that will work with the Advanced Font Control (if the patch to enable in in place).
Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #56
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
What's new in the upcoming successor? I had a thought that can go to the successor. If the original font is OTF, give an options to to save as TTF since that will work with the Advanced Font Control (if the patch to enable in in place).
It is saving as TTF even if few original is OTF. Have you seen the script save something as OTF?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #57
sherman
Guru

Quote:
The script only generates TTF fonts (and a fontforge sfd file, but I'm thinking of dropping that, or making it optional)

The main "feature" of the successor is a simple GUI wrapper, although the script will still be able to run from the command line, or a batch file.

I also want to investigate autokerning (for fonts with no existing kerning tables), but I don't know how difficult that may be to implement.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
It is saving as TTF even if few original is OTF. Have you seen the script save something as OTF?
I've not run the script. I can easily do all the things the script does manually.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #59
Cex
Enthusiast
Cex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Glo; Glo HD; PW2; Voyage
Bookerly font

Hello,
I tried your script with Bookerly font for eInk devices (extracted from PW2 firmware), but I can't get rid of the Italics problem described in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262943.

I have also tried to correct metadata manually, but can't find any error in the fonts. I have also tried all possible font names with same results.

I'm using sideloaded epubs (have not tested with kepubs) on Glo HD, and I always get italic as bold-italic.

Could someone provide some guidelines to correct this issue?

Thank you.
Cex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Stop using the LCD version of Bookerly and pull the eInk version out of the Kindle firmware. I can confirm that the eInk version works no issue and no need to Koboify.

Tags
font