Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #346
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
I don't think we ever called a Xerox a Xerox, it's always been a photocopier to me.
For that one, I think it was more the verb that became the default term : to xerox something meant to photocopy it. Similar to hoovering the carpet. But we always took a thermos on picnics, regardless of who the vacuum jug was actually made by, and ate our food from sealed plastic containers we called tupperware, even though we'd bought them from Woollies.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #347
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
For that one, I think it was more the verb that became the default term : to xerox something meant to photocopy it. Similar to hoovering the carpet. But we always took a thermos on picnics, regardless of who the vacuum jug was actually made by, and ate our food from sealed plastic containers we called tupperware, even though we'd bought them from Woollies.
Ive got a real thermos, that's almost 30 years old
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #348
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Ive got a real thermos, that's almost 30 years old
"... thermodynamics, of course, is derived from two Greek words, thermos, meaning hot — if you don't drop it — ..."

Congratulations on not dropping it (too hard) during those 30 years!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #349
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Only non-Americans are interested in non-American spelling. To Americans, the way they spell is "right," and any other way is "wrong." If an author is submitting work to an American editor or publisher, use American spelling. If submitting work to any other English speaking nation, use correct spelling.

Canadian spelling is a mishmash of English and American, but leans towards English spelling. English spelling is always correct, American spelling is sometimes wrong.

I'm not sure about Australian spelling, but I would think English spelling would be regarded as correct.

If your work may be presented in different nations, maintain a list of words which are spelt differently and use "Search and Replace" to match national requirements.

For authors, using words with the correct meaning is more difficult than using national spelling. Word meaning can change drastically from country to country, and authors need a command of the vernacular if their writing is presented internationally.

For writer, the safest thing is to write and spell as they would normally, make word and spelling changes to match intended markets, and otherwise leave it to the reader to adjust to the author's writing style.

Tony A
Tony_A20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #350
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_A20 View Post
Only non-Americans are interested in non-American spelling. To Americans, the way they spell is "right," and any other way is "wrong." If an author is submitting work to an American editor or publisher, use American spelling. If submitting work to any other English speaking nation, use correct spelling.

Canadian spelling is a mishmash of English and American, but leans towards English spelling. English spelling is always correct, American spelling is sometimes wrong.

I'm not sure about Australian spelling, but I would think English spelling would be regarded as correct.

If your work may be presented in different nations, maintain a list of words which are spelt differently and use "Search and Replace" to match national requirements.

For authors, using words with the correct meaning is more difficult than using national spelling. Word meaning can change drastically from country to country, and authors need a command of the vernacular if their writing is presented internationally.

For writer, the safest thing is to write and spell as they would normally, make word and spelling changes to match intended markets, and otherwise leave it to the reader to adjust to the author's writing style.

Tony A
Hey, don't condemn all of us Yanks! I recognize there are various "flavours" of English around the world and even within individual countries. What's correct depends on where you are or, as you pointed out, your target audience.

Btw, you may want to be careful with the use of "Americans" to refer to people from the USA. Strictly speaking, Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc. are also Americans. We Yanks don't have an exclusive right to the term.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #351
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another point to consider is that spelling changes over time. Eg, if you read early 20th century American detective stories, you'll frequently find the word "clue" spelt "clew". I suspect that few people, if any, would regard "clew" as a "correct" spelling today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #352
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
True in that we all live on the North American continent, though if you asked someone from Canada if they were an American I wager they'd say they were a Canadian. We all segregate ourselves into countries via non material boundary lines and if I were to try to cross over into Canada or Mexico without a passport I wager I'd be stopped at the border even though all three countries are on the same continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Hey, don't condemn all of us Yanks! I recognize there are various "flavours" of English around the world and even within individual countries. What's correct depends on where you are or, as you pointed out, your target audience.

Btw, you may want to be careful with the use of "Americans" to refer to people from the USA. Strictly speaking, Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc. are also Americans. We Yanks don't have an exclusive right to the term.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #353
timfrost
Tim Frost
timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3
We all need a new term to describe citizens of the United States of America other than 'Americans'. I feel a certain indignation when the phrase 'fellow Americans' is used in a context which certainly doesn't include Mexicans, Chileans etc.

How about United Staters?
timfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #354
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I immediately thought of USers, but I confess that I'm just poking a possum to see if it'll stir.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #355
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I'm just poking a possum to see if it'll stir.
Guess not.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #356
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
Quote:
Here in the UK some of us have started calling it American, Australian and Canadian, as opposed to English, although this has yet to get mainstream use, but it helps differentiate what are in effect different languages.

I cannot write in American , so I write in English.
Just found this thread. I have laughed so hard and as a Canadian especially appreciated this post ~ nice to see some folks distinguish us from either the UK or the US - any way we can!

Canadian, eh? ^ - ^

I can tell you for sure I usually call my neighbours to the south Americans ~ and never myself. North American, yes.

My editor insisted I change the spelling in The Storyteller to 'American' and I did - after all my main protagonist lives in Seattle, a very close neighbor, lol.

Now I sometimes even finding myself changing my spelling in posts, :: sigh :: Will be interesting to see how the entire world changes the language, which seems destined to become the most-spoken across the board.
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #357
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
Now I sometimes even finding myself changing my spelling in posts, :: sigh :: Will be interesting to see how the entire world changes the language, which seems destined to become the most-spoken across the board.
I think we'll all end up with a version of English that looks very much like US English. The net is so pervasive that it's almost inevitable - and something like 60% of English speakers on the net are American.

I'll be interested to see what happens when more Indians get online however. There are 232 million English speakers in India - and I assume they're speaking UK English. There's only 251 million US English speakers (according to Wikipedia), so the equation might change as India comes online.

I noticed in a recent site update from Smashwords that India ranks fourth in countries that use Smashwords.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #358
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
+1

You are the first USAer I've seen that says it.

Cheers.

Last edited by Falcao; 11-24-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #359
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
+1

You are the first USAer I've seen that says it.

Cheers.
I'm weird that way.

I just had a thunk. What about the State of Hawaii? It's not in America yet it's part of the USA.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 11-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #360
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not to mention Puerto Rico which is an unincorporated territory of the U.S.

Quote:
I'm weird that way.

I just had a thunk. What about the State of Hawaii? It's not in America yet it's part of the USA.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote