Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #331
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like UK spelling fine and have been guilty of it myself from time to time.

It seems to me that its simply another part of the global common language that English has become.

I would think it would trip up only the most inexperienced readers.
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #332
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynedahll View Post
I like UK spelling fine and have been guilty of it myself from time to time.

It seems to me that its simply another part of the global common language that English has become.

I would think it would trip up only the most inexperienced readers.
You should not feel guilty about using UK English spelling, because it's the obey proper way of spelling after all.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #333
timfrost
Tim Frost
timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3
Lee Child is a Brit who writes as an American. I guess he has the benefit of a professional copy editor to catch the translation errors. However howlers still creep through such as 'paraffin' for 'kerosene.' I assume the copy editor just didn't know what paraffin was, so left it.

(Come to that, would an American know a 'howler' as an elementary schoolboy mistake?)

As a Brit I would want my work checked by an American before publishing.

What's that phrase about 'two peoples separated by a common language'?!
timfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #334
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrost View Post
However howlers still creep through such as 'paraffin' for 'kerosene.' I assume the copy editor just didn't know what paraffin was, so left it.
Well, that's a new one to me. Is kerosene called "paraffin" in the UK? (It's mostly got me puzzled because kerosene and paraffin - real paraffin - aren't the same thing at all.)

Here in OZ we use those two terms the same way as in the US, so I wonder if the UK's use of paraffin for kerosene is a more recent development?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #335
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Well, that's a new one to me. Is kerosene called "paraffin" in the UK? (It's mostly got me puzzled because kerosene and paraffin - real paraffin - aren't the same thing at all.)

Here in OZ we use those two terms the same way as in the US, so I wonder if the UK's use of paraffin for kerosene is a more recent development?
Yes, kerosene is called paraffin in the UK, and has been since at least the time of the first world war, and probably earlier. Not to be confused with paraffin wax, which is something entirely different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #336
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I wonder how that came about? Chemically, they're nothing alike (paraffin wax is just a solid form of paraffin, also called paraffin oil) - paraffin is edible, and kerosene distinctly not. Not two things you'd want to confuse !
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #337
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I wonder how that came about? Chemically, they're nothing alike (paraffin wax is just a solid form of paraffin, also called paraffin oil) - paraffin is edible, and kerosene distinctly not. Not two things you'd want to confuse !
"Kerosene" was originally a trademarked brand name. Perhaps paraffin might have been the original "generic" name, and kerosene the brand name of the trademark holder? That's a pure guess, though!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #338
R. Reed
Enthusiast
R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

If you say "paraffin" in the US, you mean the wax. I know it's edible, because when I was a kid there was a candy with sugary liquid inside a paraffin tube. I thought I knew Brit-speak, but paraffin for kerosene is a new one on me.
R. Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #339
timfrost
Tim Frost
timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.timfrost writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3
There were two brands of paraffin in the UK in the Sixties: Aladdin Pink Paraffin and Esso Blue. They were delivered in Morris vans. I don't know if the colouring meant anything. Anyone British over 50 will remember the intensely annoying TV commercial for Esso Blue, blue blue ... blue, blue, blue... Esso blue. Blue, blue, blue (repeat ad nauseam).

Tim
timfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #340
durkinrobinson
Lovechild
durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!

I find it bloody favourable. Didn't hurt Bridget Jones's Diary, did it?
durkinrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #341
Learnmegood
Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
When I was an engineer, I always found it humorous (humourous?) that the US and the UK not only spelled, but also PRONOUNCED aluminum (aluminium) differently...
Learnmegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #342
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That happens a lot with trademark items. Two that come to mind are Xerox and Roller blades. Both refer to brand names of the items they represent (photo copiers and inline skates) but a lot of people think that that is what the item is called not realizing that while all xerox's are photo copiers not all photo copiers are Xerox's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Kerosene" was originally a trademarked brand name. Perhaps paraffin might have been the original "generic" name, and kerosene the brand name of the trademark holder? That's a pure guess, though!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #343
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnmegood View Post
When I was an engineer, I always found it humorous (humourous?) that the US and the UK not only spelled, but also PRONOUNCED aluminum (aluminium) differently...
Quite amusing to read the history of that one, too - in a 'wow, these guys needed LIVES!' sort of way.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #344
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That happens a lot with trademark items. Two that come to mind are Xerox and Roller blades. Both refer to brand names of the items they represent (photo copiers and inline skates) but a lot of people think that that is what the item is called not realizing that while all xerox's are photo copiers not all photo copiers are Xerox's.
I don't think we ever called a Xerox a Xerox, it's always been a photocopier to me.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #345
Learnmegood
Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Learnmegood knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Quite amusing to read the history of that one, too - in a 'wow, these guys needed LIVES!' sort of way.
And for some reason, I hear in my head Bullwinkle J Moose pronouncing the UK version...
Learnmegood is offline   Reply With Quote