Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
So I'm getting a Mac

I'm about to add a Mac Mini to the stable of computers that live on or under my desk, so I'm wondering what software I should look for. I plan on doing at least some writing on it, and I know about Scrivener - but I'm curious what else I should look for.

As always, free is good.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Grammarian has proven to be indispensable.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
I've been a Mac person for two or three years now, but I haven't purchased much in the way of software. I do have Scrivener and enjoy writing with it. I originally purchased iWork for Pages and that's one I could have done without (especially after I found Scrivener). I also have Open Office (free).

As much as I hate to say it, I may eventually buy MS Word. It's been a pain going back and forth with editors and beta readers who are Windows based. (Though I can open Word files, I can't see tracking changes and notes and such.)

I'm sure more software-savvy folks will have ideas for you. I tend to just use what I've got unless something's ticking me off, heh.

~Lindsay

P.S. I recently added Kindle for the Mac, for when I feel like reading ebooks on a big screen.

Last edited by GoblinWriter; 11-19-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: typos!
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Slightly OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWriter View Post
I also have Open Office (free).

As much as I hate to say it, I may eventually buy MS Word. It's been a pain going back and forth with editors and beta readers who are Windows based. (Though I can open Word files, I can't see tracking changes and notes and such.)
Have you taken that up with the people at Open Office and/or LibreOffice, Lindsay? I'm sure they'd be interested to know that. If not, perhaps you would contact me offline, and we can see if we can reproduce it and I'll present it to them.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I'm about to add a Mac Mini to the stable of computers that live on or under my desk, so I'm wondering what software I should look for. I plan on doing at least some writing on it, and I know about Scrivener - but I'm curious what else I should look for.

As always, free is good.
So, first of all congratulations, Lemurion. Welcome to the Mac world. Even if they are a closed shop, Mac is the way computers should always have been, and Linux (my second favourite and long-time home) would do well to head in the same direction.

Now, let's see what I've got in my Applications folder and subfolders...

1Password for all your passwords (not free)
Firefox, as my bank wouldn't allow Safari (they've changed their minds now)
GPG
MGBD Chinese-English Dictionary, but you probably won't need that... (not free)
Open Office, as mentioned by Lindsay

And then in the Additions folder:

Was forced to add ADE for library books
Aeon (temporarily dead timeline organizer for Scrivener)
Barnes & Noble E-reader
Calibre (E-book manager and initial converter of documents to epub)
Celtx (for scriptwriting)
Gimp (God I hate that program! It does everything except what I want.)
Gnucash
Kindle for Mac
LilbreOffice (not yet ready for the general public, but real soon now...)
MacBookReader (not used it yet, don't know why I got it)
Nvu - my son added this. Something to do with websites I believe.
Sigil (for editing epubs when Calibre has converted to them)
Skype of course
Storylines (not free but essential until Aeon comes back to life)
uTorrent
VLC (supposed to allow you to change video formats, but it would be easier with Textedit! It does, however, play things DVD player can't.)

Then I have a bunch of stuff for formatting and burning DVDs, none of which are suitable for the inexperienced, and thus just lie there taking up space. And one or two shell scripts for drm removal and the like, but I'm not supposed to mention them.

All free except where stated.

//James
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'll add another vote for Scrivener, Calibre and Sigil

Other software I like:
Little Snapper (not free) - screen grabbing software, which also manages your screen grabs.
Adium (free) - IM client which supports multiple accounts
OmniFocus (not free) - task management/getting things done type software
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Adium (free) - IM client which supports multiple accounts
Ah, I thought Adium was the Apple IM client so I didn't mention it. It must have been installed by my son when he gave me his old Mac.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone.

I already use some of the cross platform stuff on Windows - and as I'll have three computers at the desk I'm not too worried about needing any specific program on the Mac (though I will be buying Scrivener).
Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I say, build yourself a computer, put Linux Mint on it, and then install Open Office for the editing and writing software. You'll thank yourself. Mac is too proprietary and does too much to lock you in. Linux is open and you are free to do pretty much whatever you want with it.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I say, build yourself a computer, put Linux Mint on it, and then install Open Office for the editing and writing software. You'll thank yourself. Mac is too proprietary and does too much to lock you in. Linux is open and you are free to do pretty much whatever you want with it.
It's a good idea, but one reason I want the Mac is to try something new. The Mini will be my first desktop machine in over a decade that I didn't build. As for Linux, I spent most of 2009 running Ubuntu as the primary OS on my desktop machine.

I haven't done much with Linux Mint, but I've used half a dozen distros over the years, so a new one doesn't sound like anything special.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't really answer the question I asked. Besides, the Mac is already en route and it's not costing me any money - I'm just trading a bit of writing for it.

(Besides, if I get the yen for Linux I can just throw it on another of my boxen.)
Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
I'm a long time PC user (including linux for many many years) but just recently got my first Mac.

My 2 cents? I love the Mac. Everything just "works" on it. I'm a software developer by day (Windows, Linux, etc...) and the last thing I want to have to do when I get home is deal with "quirks".

The apple tax is more than worth it, IMO. How much is your time worth?

I've also been informing friends and family that if they expect to get support from me down the road their next computers will have to be Macs.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
I'm a long time PC user (including linux for many many years) but just recently got my first Mac.

My 2 cents? I love the Mac. Everything just "works" on it. I'm a software developer by day (Windows, Linux, etc...) and the last thing I want to have to do when I get home is deal with "quirks".

The apple tax is more than worth it, IMO. How much is your time worth?

I've also been informing friends and family that if they expect to get support from me down the road their next computers will have to be Macs.
To be honest, I don't know if I'll even like it.

I probably will, I even expect that I will, but I don't know because I haven't had any real experience with one.

I'm just going to try it out and see what happens
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
That's pretty much what I did. I had extensively built my own computers for about 12 years. Got into an argument with NewEgg CSR after they sent me a DOA processor and motherboard from AMD. It was my last build ever.

The next day I bought a 13" MBP and never looked back. Only other software I could think of would be Parallels, but if you have a bunch of computers laying around, you won't really need that.

I've been able to get Track Changes to work between DOC and PAGES with no problem. I don't know what issues you had arise, GW, but I haven't experienced them..
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know if I'll even like it.

I probably will, I even expect that I will, but I don't know because I haven't had any real experience with one.

I'm just going to try it out and see what happens
That was my attitude. And when I'd spent a week under my son's tutelage (it was his old Mac I got) and was ready to throw the thing at the wall, suddenly one day I said: "So _that's_ how it works. Why haven't all computers always been like this?" and the rest is history. I keep the old box, dual boot with XP and Ubuntu under the desk and fire it up from time to time, usually to rip a dvd or something, but I'm a Mac user now!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

As always, free is good.
What software to look for.. that's easy.. Windows 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote