Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #166
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
PC Magazine likes it.
http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2009/05/
http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-comput...r-ebook-reader
I am soooo getting one of these. Black, silver or lavender is the only question left!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #167
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
One question about support.

Purposely NOT saying anything bad about my worthy competition, please realize that they are based in the U.K. and Astak is based in California.

Even IF the two devices are considered essentially the same... realize that support matters. With my EZ Readers and the soon-to-be-released Mentor Lite, I am online almost all the time to answer your questions and help you if you do need technical support. You know, already, from the EZ Reader that there have been almost zero returns BUT when something seems to go wrong... we take care of you immediately.

I think that is important. This is the first introduction of Netronix devices into the North American market. They are new devices and new devices can have problems. I hope people will look at the question first of: "What do I do IF I have a problem". Astak has a history of great FAQ sheets that are helpful and prevent problems. Astak is here on the forum in person. Astak has USA technical support. Astak takes returns to a USA address. Nobody has EVER had a complaint about Astak support because it is good.

So... that is what I will say. Let the Cool-er stand on its own merits. That is as it should be. But do think about the support, the cost of shipping, and the aggravation of being without your device for months (possibly). If you do not care... then no problem. But if you want the support Astak has been famous for... then our Mentor Lite may be a far better deal.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #168
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Um... I live in Ireland. USA-based support is a black mark for the Mentor from my point of view.

Personally, I'm going to spend the week downloading free ePub books while I wait for the European shipping option to come online for the Cool-er.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #169
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I am Irish too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Um... I live in Ireland. USA-based support is a black mark for the Mentor from my point of view.

Personally, I'm going to spend the week downloading free ePub books while I wait for the European shipping option to come online for the Cool-er.
Dear Hatgirl:

I think your thinking is good. We do not have the authority to sell the Mentor Lite in Ireland. If we did, we would be U.K. or Ireland-based for returns and support. For you, the Cool-er makes sense. Good luck and happy reading.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #170
Kisxela
Kisxela began at the beginning.

Device: Asus-A696, Cool-er, Hanlin V5
There are alive people outside USA too. It is just a coincidence to be born american. I am hungarian and many people like reading here as well. Unfortunately only Hanlin ereader is available in Hungary. This is why we are happy that there will be an european manufacturer. Hopefully they will ship the item to the continent.
Kisxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #171
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
They will begin shipping to Europe beginning of June according to their web site
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #172
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisxela View Post
Unfortunately only Hanlin ereader is available in Hungary.
Do you mean this one?
http://www.walkbook.net/ma/index.html
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #173
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
No, it went bust before actually getting even a promo model.
You can have a Hanlin V3 localized version from here:
www.koobe.hu
(for a mere 83000 HUF ~ 300 EUR )
or (for masochists with suicidal tendencies only):
http://www.pixmania.hu/hu/hu/1458787...kus-konyv.html
(97000 HUF ~ 350 EUR)

Last edited by worxland; 05-23-2009 at 03:43 PM.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #174
Hatgirl
Addict

Here's another review that gives an answer to one of the questions we have had:
Another PC World review
Quote:
It has only a 2.5mm headphone jack instead of the standard issue 3mm jack (Jones said that was because of the unit's slim design)
Makes sense, I guess. Still irritating.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #175
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Keep posting those reviews. I for one am getting one right at the beginning of june.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #176
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Your continued postings are inappropriate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Purposely NOT saying anything bad about my worthy competition, please realize that they are based in the U.K. and Astak is based in California.

.... goes on to question Cool-er's quality and support...

So... that is what I will say. Let the Cool-er stand on its own merits. That is as it should be. But do think about the support, the cost of shipping, and the aggravation of being without your device for months (possibly). If you do not care... then no problem. But if you want the support Astak has been famous for... then our Mentor Lite may be a far better deal.
Frankly, Robert, while I understand the loyalty and emotions regarding this device, I think your continued comments on this thread are inappropriate and can only be construed as a conflict of interest.

It is one thing to participate in this forum as an individual but every time you bring up Astak or any of your products, you have taken off your "individual contributor" hat and put on your "Astak" hat.

As I'm sure you have surmised, many of us are very reader saavy and are capable of evaluating the pros and cons of new devices. We have entire threads on it below and if someone doesn't know the answer, we are always eager to share our experience.

Frankly, in terms of support, just because your device is from an American company doesn't mean you will receive superior support. Most American companies have off-shored their technical support and the worst support I have ever gotten has been from "American" companies such as HP, Dell, Microsoft.

On the other hand, I have a Bookeen Cybook and after I attempted my firmware update last summer, I bricked it. I emailed the company and within 24 hours, they responded with a solution that worked. I was very impressed.

So with all due respect, Robert, I personally feel your comments on this thread are inappropriate, and make me less inclined to purchase your product at any point in the future.

I, of course, speak for myself... no one else would want me to speak for them!

Cheers...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #177
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I sure wish Sony would've come out with a pink or purple 505!
Not yet!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #178
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I guess red is the next best thing...well after BLUE that is!! hahaha
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #179
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Here's another review that gives an answer to one of the questions we have had:
Another PC World review

Makes sense, I guess. Still irritating.
Seems to be standard on Netronix devices to have a 2.5mm socket - the CyBook Gen3 is the same. Since I don't personally use mine for music (it makes a lousy MP3 player) I'm not that bothered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #180
Hatgirl
Addict

And here's a link to blog about the ebook shop.

He's not impressed. And I spotted at least one book with the incorrect cover. But I'm willing to mentally put this in the "beta" category until the units actually ship. If the shop is still screwy by then, they are officially idiots.