Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #151
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Well I just watched the video...and I'm sold! if I didn't already have my 505, I'd probably eagerly await May 29th when I could get my hands on one of these. And if it were closer to $150 I would consider buying it to use in addition to my 505. And I will definitely recommend this to people looking for an e-reader. I'll be very interested to hear from people who end up buying these.

I LOVE all the cute colors. I sure wish Sony would've come out with a pink or purple 505!
You know, I was all hyped about these then watched the video. Only one problem that slowed me down a little - the clicking of the buttons for page turn, etc. Someone else mentioned it and in the video it is pretty clear that it requires a firm pinch to click the page turn. It stalled me out and I'm back to thinking 505 maybe...
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #152
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
505 would be good too!!! I love mine.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #153
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
With "flat" tags you cannot have things like sub-sub-sub-folders. So the standard tag implementation is not a superset to folders with respect to representational power.
yeah, I see the benefit of being able to create the proper solution space for your documents using folders. I suspect the something simpler can be creates with the cloud & tag concept. Simply allow the creation of sub-tags. Just considering it quickly, tags would seem to be easier in that all you are doing is building the look-up tables and indexes. We actually have that after a fashion with the shortcut links in Windows. It's a way to keep a file accessible in multiple folders as would be needed. The problem is, creating links and adding them to each folder is problematic w/o a mouse of some sort. A tag hierarchy could be similar but would allow a bit quicker linking when the content is added to the system, especially given the state of HID for data input on readers. Of course books properly tagged by publishers and authors to begin with would make everything a lot easier as we build out libraries. I see Calibre as a huge step in that direction.

You know a lot of books belong in multiple areas...but I might now see a bit of a circular argument here. Not sure, but I am basically considering what is easier for the hardware to manage quickly. I just have an intuition it is tags/sub-tags with a proper index and database system which might be faster. Even if the folders are built in assembly. I sense the tags would be easier for people to grasp and retain over time. I know people tend to lose track of folder structures they create.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #154
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
more pictures

I found some more pictures of the device on wired.com

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...s-up-the-heat/

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #155
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Now that Amazon has apparently started charging for emailing documents, I don't think Wispernet is that big of a deal. I get most of my books and all of my newspapers from vendors other than Amazon.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #156
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Now that Amazon has apparently started charging for emailing documents, I don't think Wispernet is that big of a deal. I get most of my books and all of my newspapers from vendors other than Amazon.
Amazon has always charged for mailing your personal documents via Whispernet. They will email to you computer using a free account.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #157
jessTay
Connoisseur
jessTay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2! YAY
i'm thinking of pickin one of these up once they are able to be ordered for Canadians...

anyone know what the protective cases look like?
are they around the same as the bookeen, sony, and kindle cases?
jessTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #158
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessTay View Post
i'm thinking of pickin one of these up once they are able to be ordered for Canadians...

anyone know what the protective cases look like?
are they around the same as the bookeen, sony, and kindle cases?

I have not seen any examples of protective cases yet. I am not sure that any are available currently?

Hopefully they will soon, but since they are not on the shelves yet, its not entirely surprising that we have not seen cases yet.

Amy
Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #159
jessTay
Connoisseur
jessTay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2! YAY
awww that's what i figured but still

i don't want to order one if the protective case ends up being too thin or tacky looking... or plasticy...

I sent a message to support today to ask about the cases and also about a release date and shipping prices for Canada (since pre-orders have been available there's been a notice that for countries outside the US and UK prices and shipping will be up soon). No word so far...
jessTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #160
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Amazon has always charged for mailing your personal documents via Whispernet. They will email to you computer using a free account.

Dale
I believe Amazon has always said they charged a fee for mailing documents via Whispernet, but they never actually started charging that fee until recently.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #161
Pandora Moon
Pandora Moon began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really like the colours options of this. although the only question I have is what are the costs of the e-books in the UK? as I can't see anyway of finding that out and I'm not good at maths :P

Last edited by Pandora Moon; 05-22-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: missing word
Pandora Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #162
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora Moon View Post
I really like the colours options of this. although the only question I have is what are the costs of the e-books in the UK? as I can't see anyway of finding that out and I'm not good at maths :P
The good news: most books can be bought directly from US-ebookshops (except for Amazon). There are some regional restrictions, but they are not very frequent yet. The UK books are slightly more expensive than their american counterparts.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #163
sassanik
Guru

a variety of places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora Moon View Post
Fictionwise and Books on Board both sell ebooks that should be readable on the cool-er.

There are also other vendors. Occasionally there seems to be regional restrictions, but making the purchases through PayPal seems to bypass that problem.

Amy
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #164
Pandora Moon
Pandora Moon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replys. I wasn't expecting them to come so quick

One place I've noticed regional restrictions was on the UK Iliad website here's a link for example http://www.iliadreader.co.uk/book.3561.htm
Pandora Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #165
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I did apologize and meant it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
I agree with porkupan that RobertB should not be knocking any competitor's products without hard facts.

I have always been grateful to RobertB for his willingness to share information about upcoming Astak products but in my opinion making disparaging allegations about your competitors' products that are about to beat you to market is not a way to win friends and influence people.

I'm sure we will get a hands on review of both the cool-er product and the Mentor lite product within the next month so consumers can make their buying decision based on true specifications and factual experience.
Dear Mobelby:

Somewhere on this thread I did profoundly aplogize. This caught me as a real shock. Kind of like my own factory stabbing me in the back. To say I was surprised is an understatement. Again, I do apologize for being out-of-line. You hopefully can realize that Astak works very hard to put out a quality device... our products have been rock solid. I do not mind the competition... I was more worried about how I am going to explain the differences to people between the Cool-er and the Mentor Lite. It looks so much the same but the guts, I have been told, are very different. I will let it go at that.

I do know that PC Magazine is doing a review on the Cool-er right now and that will be out soon enough.

Please, all, understand that even I can wake up and speak wrongly. As a Sagittarius we are prone to "foot in mouth" disease. I occasionally choose the wrong time to speak out. I am sorry!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote